How much do you trust you county/state numbers (sorry COVID related)

And this is why we will continue to fail at pandemics. Besides the whole "you can't tell me what to do" mentality, we have zero laws protecting sick workers.

Its just life you have to learn to live with what is thrown at you, but you can't expect people to just bury them self in a financial hole either. Laws protecting sick workers would just end up abused to death like everything else and would cause other issues.

FWIW, I don't think that poster specifically believed that theory but that it's just another one of the crazy theories floating out there...just as off-the-wall as someone thinking that churches were purposefully targeted for closure. But maybe I'm wrong in assuming that poster's thoughts.
Exactly. I don't believe either theory. That is why I removed it. I was afraid people would misunderstand.

FWIW, I don't think that poster specifically believed that theory but that it's just another one of the crazy theories floating out there...just as off-the-wall as someone thinking that churches were purposefully targeted for closure. But maybe I'm wrong in assuming that poster's thoughts.
Exactly. I don't believe either theory. That is why I removed it. I was afraid people would misunderstand.

Stuff like that will be happening all the time. People will get to the point they won't go get tested, with all the rules now its impractical. Do we really expect people to self isolate anytime they get a symptom of covid for 2 weeks. In the end many are gonna hope they stay mild and carry on with life like every other illness. Don't have to agree with it, but it is what is going to happen. People need to work, companies can't afford to pay people for 2 weeks of no work to self isolate for much longer. It is all a big mess.

Exactly. Employers aren’t going to pay people for two weeks Every time they get sick or have a symptom. And not everyone has two weeks of sick time sitting around to use. Even if you get tested and come back negative that’s still a few days you have to stay home until you get the results.

If symptoms are very mild I bet most people won’t think it’s covid and will continue working. Or those that are exposed and can’t work from home will go to work and not say a word. People that work lower paying jobs with no sick leave can’t afford two weeks without pay.

Exactly. Employers aren’t going to pay people for two weeks Every time they get sick or have a symptom. And not everyone has two weeks of sick time sitting around to use. Even if you get tested and come back negative that’s still a few days you have to stay home until you get the results.

If symptoms are very mild I bet most people won’t think it’s covid and will continue working. Or those that are exposed and can’t work from home will go to work and not say a word. People that work lower paying jobs with no sick leave can’t afford two weeks without pay.

And this is an issue that needs to be resolved in this country.

I trust the numbers, but I don't trust my city's & county's ability to make logical decisions in relation to those numbers.

I think a lot of employees would be covered by the cares act in NJ. I’m sure all of the states have their own policies.

Are you making comparisons of situations within your own county and state?
I live in a county that borders another state. Ours "reopened" a bit sooner , but I absolutely agree with both states Governor's actions. Both of the states are showing good trends.
That can't be said for quite a few states that reopened too early ( in my opinion).
They’re are examples of all the situations within my county, and the next county over, both my state. I’m pretty sure it’s the same in most states, churches where closed, wal mart was open. I had an uncle that died a month ago, he was 91, served in Korea. They couldn’t have more than 10 people, so no funeral, just graveside at a distance.
tha barbershop was in my county, their have been a multitude of restaurants locally that opened up only to be visited by the local health department and threatened to pull their permits.
so yes their are local stories to me along with those that are in other states.

They’re are examples of all the situations within my county, and the next county over, both my state. I’m pretty sure it’s the same in most states, churches where closed, wal mart was open. I had an uncle that died a month ago, he was 91, served in Korea. They couldn’t have more than 10 people, so no funeral, just graveside at a distance.
tha barbershop was in my county, their have been a multitude of restaurants locally that opened up only to be visited by the local health department and threatened to pull their permits.
so yes their are local stories to me along with those that are in other states.

Okay let me try this:

Do you see the difference between Wal-Mart and a church being open in a pandemic. Why would one be allowed and not the other?

Okay let me try this:

Do you see the difference between Wal-Mart and a church being open in a pandemic. Why would one be allowed and not the other?
I do see a difference, being told that you can’t attend church could be argued as an infringement on ones rights. Their was a church in Mississippi that held an outside service, with everyone remaining in their cars in the parking lot and grass field, the police broke it up and gave them fines.
I say open it up and let people make their own decisions.

Its just life you have to learn to live with what is thrown at you, but you can't expect people to just bury them self in a financial hole either. Laws protecting sick workers would just end up abused to death like everything else and would cause other issues.
Cause if that mentality the Canada border will be staying closed for a long while. I am very angered by it as it's killing my summer vacation and it may extend to next year too. I spend my summers visiting amusement parks all around the U.S. With that mentality this pandemic will never end.

I think everyone is trying to inflate the numbers, to cover their butt for ruining the economy needlessly

I trust them. You know why??? Because I document my butt off in my hospital. I am so tired of conspiracy theorists saying we over-inflate our numbers. WE DON'T HAVE TIME TO FALSIFY RECORDS!! The county I live in has barely any cases, but I travel to a larger hospital in a county that was hit hard. We ran out of ICU beds so we had to create makeshift ICU's. 5 of them! Yes, 5 extra ICU's to care for these seriously ill patients you seem to think don't exist.

I am so tired of having to defend my integrity to people that have no idea what this virus is actually like. From making up numbers to make it look like we have more cases to faking a COVID diagnosis in pt's with unrelated illnesses, it has really gotten to me.

Why don't you get a medical degree, BSN MSN, or any other and come in to care for these patients that have to die away fro their families. Sit at the bedside and hold their hands as they die. And then do it every day, sometimes twice a day for months. Then tell me you have the time to inflate the numbers. I remember every pt that passed as I sat with them. I know the numbers in the county I work in because I WAS THERE.

I thank god our numbers have dropped. That we only need 2 ICU's right now. That as of yesterday we dropped to our lowest since the beginning of all this. But just because I'M not seeing the high numbers, doesn't mean they aren't there in other areas of the country.

Not much. My husband works in the ER and he just had a huge fight with his boss, who told him to put "Covid" as cause of death for two people who did not have Covid.

The numbers never seemed precise nor consistent across the board. They basically followed the rate of increased or decreased spread and mortality to what is actually going on around here and from what family & friends are reporting from their communities. So I trust them for that. They haven't been accurate enough to offer precise info like actual per capita or severity/mortality rates.

Could we have handled it all better? Absolutely. Hopefully we've learned better for the future.

We did gain time. Treatments have VASTLY improved already and continue to do so. Symptoms are being caught sooner before they become debilitating, and treatment protocols have gotten more effective. Chances of surviving or not being debilitated by it increase each month. That's a win though it came at a very high cost. It would've been a very different story had the virus ran its natural course.

Last edited:
Not much. My husband works in the ER and he just had a huge fight with his boss, who told him to put "Covid" as cause of death for two people who did not have Covid.
What does your husband do? What did they die of?

Isn't the final determination of COD the coroner's office?

I do see a difference, being told that you can’t attend church could be argued as an infringement on ones rights. Their was a church in Mississippi that held an outside service, with everyone remaining in their cars in the parking lot and grass field, the police broke it up and gave them fines.
That is an isolated incident. People need to buy food to survive, I could worship from the privacy of my home if I wanted, I did watch some online rosaries during lent from my church. Churches are allow to be closed during a health emergency. No one needs a haircut, no one needs to eat at restaurants, everyone needs to be able to purchase basic necessities. In other countries, they couldn’t even go to the supermarket when they wanted, and had to have a letter. Americans are such soft babies. Other counties have had wars on their soil for long stretches, they can handle a lot more than missing out on pedicures.

Nooo. Churches are. PERFECT venue for spread. Before this I never missed a Wednesday or Sunday. I've sung in church choir for over 40 years. But it isn't safe or necessary. I don't have to meet in a building to worship. You could meet in smaller groups. But big services with singing is a superspreader event. I have to have groceries and have minimal exposure for the 20 minutes I'm there. Ughhh

I agree. But some want people quarantining for weeks at a time after testing positive.

I feel awful for the people who had it, now test negative for it and are theoretically considered recovered, yet are still suffering several of the symptoms 60 and 75 days later. I can't imagine getting the flu, going through the misery, "recovering" and being told, nope, you don't have the flu anymore -- and still feeling miserable two months later. I know of two people going through this and I've heard it's not uncommon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter