How much do you bring to the parks (with younger kids)

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
Ok tell me your strategies for what you absolutely have to bring to the parks with you, and how to pack it without breaking your back? we will be a group of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids ages 6+8)

went on a field trip with my daughter today to a very large zoo, my large backpack was crammed full and I ended up renting a wagon to pull it haha.

I think my strategy for Disney will be two medium size backpacks divided between the two adults

Ok tell me your strategies for what you absolutely have to bring to the parks with you, and how to pack it without breaking your back? we will be a group of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids ages 6+8)

went on a field trip with my daughter today to a very large zoo, my large backpack was crammed full and I ended up renting a wagon to pull it haha.

I think my strategy for Disney will be two medium size backpacks divided between the two adults
How much of it did you actually use?
We leave next week with 3 kids 6, 8, & 10. We will have mini backpacks (lounge fly size) with a water bottle, sunblock, Advil, ID & a few snacks likr goldfish crackers. That’s it. We have learned to minimize & not lug stuff around.

Our daughter is older now but at that age almost nothing. We have always been a carry-nothing-into-the-parks family. We stay onsite in close proximity. So at that age mainly only a water bottle and maybe a granola bar or something. Once she was out of the stroller (which she held on to until age 5), that was it for lugging stuff.

How much of it did you actually use?
We leave next week with 3 kids 6, 8, & 10. We will have mini backpacks (lounge fly size) with a water bottle, sunblock, Advil, ID & a few snacks likr goldfish crackers. That’s it. We have learned to minimize & not lug stuff around.
honestly the worst of it was the packed lunch for myself and my daughter, most of the other stuff was small and got used except for the spare clothes but it had been forecasted to pour rain all day and then didn't end up raining

honestly the worst of it was the packed lunch for myself and my daughter, most of the other stuff was small and got used except for the spare clothes but it had been forecasted to pour rain all day and then didn't end up raining
my field trip bag is very different from my park bag at those ages. a change of shirt for all of us, sunscreen and water bottle. maybe a couple of snack. I would not carry lunch into park unlike field trip

We really don't bring much. Sunscreen, ponchos and, depending on the time of year, a sweater. I still carry a backpack, but mostly to hold any souvenirs that we purchase during the day. Oh, and a popcorn bucket.
When the kids were 6 and 8, it was autograph books, pressed penny books and pin trading lanyards, so there wasn't room for much else.

At that age, I carried nothing for my son except a poncho. He didn't need snacks between meals by then and on the rare occasions when he wanted something, we would just buy popcorn. We have always gotten the free water at the QS locations so no water bottle needed, although now days when I'm solo I do carry a refillable one for me. If it rained and his shoes got wet he either walked around in them or we went back to the room. Boys are easy. If we needed any kind of OTC drug (usually me) we would go to first aid, they provide it. Sunscreen before we left the room. Heck, even when he was 3 I didn't really carry much. A little ziplock with some cheerios or cheezits or something like that, a little travel pack of wet ones and a poncho. We always stay on site so we would just pop back to the room if he got too dirty for words. I rarely carry a bag for myself now. My phone has a little card holder attached which has my ID, cc and a little cash (used to have my AP but evidently I don't need to carry that around any more). Disposable poncho in the other pocket or if I know it's going to rain hard and long an umbrella with a strap that I can put around my wrist. Glasses on a chain around my neck.

Our son is 4 so we bring a stroller and use the basket underneath. We take: his water bottle, a water bottle for us, wipes, and a sunscreen stick. That's it. We plan on transitioning to a fanny pack or 1 backpack when we stop using the stroller. We are definitely minimalists when it comes to park gear!

When my kids were little (4 and 2) we took a single backpack with diapers, sunscreen, a change of clothes for the 2 year old, some fruit a snacks and applesauce pouches, and the little kid Thermos water bottles. Once the kids hit 6 and 4 (they were 6 and 8 for our January 2022 trip), all we took was a double stroller with some water bottles in the little basket. If they want snacks, we buy them in the parks. Otherwise, I take my very small crossbody Disney bag that holds my phone, AP cards, DVC blue cards (though I won’t need the AP or DVC cards any longer now that it’s all digital), and a wallet. Last trip, the crossbody also held spare masks, a travel bottle of hand sanitizer, and some Tic Tacs. We always buy a fun popcorn bucket for the younger kiddo (6 at our last trip, 7 at our next) so she’s responsible for hauling that around.

Last edited:
What we had (minus diapering materials): couple water bottles, ponchos, couple snacks, sunscreen, hand sanitizer/sanitizing wipes, couple plastic bags (for leftover purchases snacks), cooling towels, couple disposable masks, extra pair of socks and undies for each person (not here for being super sweaty and wet) and a portable potty seat.
It looks like an insane amount of stuff but with the exception of the water everything else was very light weight as was the bag itself.

What we had (minus diapering materials): couple water bottles, ponchos, couple snacks, sunscreen, hand sanitizer/sanitizing wipes, couple plastic bags (for leftover purchases snacks), cooling towels, couple disposable masks, extra pair of socks and undies for each person (not here for being super sweaty and wet) and a portable potty seat.
It looks like an insane amount of stuff but with the exception of the water everything else was very light weight as was the bag itself.
this sounds the most in line with the kind of stuff we would pack

this sounds the most in line with the kind of stuff we would pack
Obviously when you visit plays a major factor. We were there in August so it was all about over-heating mitigation. Those cooling towels were the best investment. Available in the parks but way cheaper outside.

Kids are very close to that age (4 and 8). We just recently went in April. Even when they were just 2 years younger and more "toddler" like, we bring one regular size backpack. The biggest thing we carry are the Brita water bottles that we all have. They are bulky and take up the most space and weight (when filled). We also transfer them to the bottom of our stroller.

Other than what others have said (sunscreen, ponchos), we would have a change of clothes for the younger one (just shorts and underwear). That's it. In August, we did have our mini-fans, but they are quite small and compact.

Everything else is on our actual bodies (hats, sunglasses, magicbands, ID).

We keep it simple and don't bring much, if any, food into the parks. When my oldest was the only, we did bring in toddler pouches or goldfish to eat. I could see if you are bringing in lunch or more, then your lunchbags will take up a lot of room.

Just depends on your style. We don't want to carry anything extra due to heat and hassle.

Obviously when you visit plays a major factor. We were there in August so it was all about over-heating mitigation. Those cooling towels were the best investment. Available in the parks but way cheaper outside.
we are going in January so even if it's only in the mid 50s in Florida that will still feel very warm to us coming from Ontario where it will probably be below freezing outside when we fly out lol

When my kids were 5 and 6 (no stroller) we brought one backpack (unisex so my husband would carry it too haha) with wallets, phones, sunscreen, charger, peanut butter cracker packs for emergency snacks, cooling towels and an extra set of underwear for my daughter in a baggie (never needed, but Murphy’s law). we usually froze two water bottles and had one fresh that we all shared. Once those were gone, we refilled the last one, got free cups or bought as needed. This was a June trip. It wasnt too heavy, especially once we cleared out the waters.

When our kids were that age we had one regular backpack and tbh most of it was for us since we drink alot of water, I like to have my bag to put our reusable bottles. But two backpacks, nope, never. We'd pack a few snacks, umbrella/poncho, portable charger, water bottles and maybe a few first aid items like bandaids and dramamine and my small makeup bag. If we had a stroller, sometimes we'd even pack just a fanny pack since the stroller would hold the water bottle. I know some people are over packers but two backpacks is a ton imo. I would have trouble filling them.

When our kids were that age we had one regular backpack and tbh most of it was for us since we drink alot of water, I like to have my bag to put our reusable bottles. But two backpacks, nope, never. We'd pack a few snacks, umbrella/poncho, portable charger, water bottles and maybe a few first aid items like bandaids and dramamine and my small makeup bag. If we had a stroller, sometimes we'd even pack just a fanny pack since the stroller would hold the water bottle. I know some people are over packers but two backpacks is a ton imo. I would have trouble filling them.
I'm 100% an overpacker and trying to learn not to be lol

As little as possible. We visit often (semi-local) and our park bag stays packed, mostly. It all fits into one smaller backpack.

We have a 2 year old: diapers, wipes, change of clothes for him, snacks, autograph book, fan for the stroller, lipgloss, my wallet. We all bring our cups and they go in the stroller cupholders. Only if it looks like a really good chance of rain will we bring the raincover and ponchos. In cooler weather, I throw in pullovers. If it weren't for the wipes/diapers, I think we could stick it all in a fanny pack most of the year.

I can buy medication if needed. We apply sunscreen before we go (I toss a small face stick in the bag for later applications). We've had stuff stolen, and know WAY too many local friends/passholders that have as well, so I try to store nothing in the stroller except our cups.

I see people dragging in everything but the kitchen sink and it looks dreadful! Less is more, IMO.

We bring as little as possible in a canvas tote bag. For 2 adults, a 10 year old, and an 18mo old we recently packed:
  • Water bottles (most days, some days we just got the free cups)
  • 2 diapers and small pack of wipes
  • extra set of clothes for the toddler
  • handheld fan
  • autograph book & pen
  • ponchos
  • empty plastic bag in case anything got wet
We usually take a break at the hotel in the afternoon so we don't bring extra sunscreen or more than a few diapers. We never bring food to the park, I'd rather just buy snacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter