How Much Difference In The Shelf Price vs. The Scanned Price Before You Dispute With The Cashier?

How can anyone possibly know they're being over or undercharged on an item? Unless it's a "special", do all of you know the prices of every single item you buy?
It's not all that difficult. There are items listed in an ad so you can bring that with you to keep track of the pricing, there is writing down the price if you've brought a list, there is taking a picture, there is simply remembering. Sometimes you may not remember the exact price but you feel like something is just off about the price that an item rung up for so that would prompt me to question the price to the cashier or if self-check out the attendant there. If I'm shopping for more clothing items clearance often has the price on the tag so that's easy or if it's just something on sale it's remembering what the price was. I'm someone who pays attention to pricing in general..looking at off-brand pricing compare to name brand (looking at ingredients and nutrition value too), looking at size of the product and the pricing, etc.

How can anyone possibly know they're being over or undercharged on an item? Unless it's a "special", do all of you know the prices of every single item you buy?
Maybe not every single item, but yes, I remember the price of most items I put in my cart. We work from a budget and keep a running total each week as we grocery shop.

When grocery shopping if it was a sale or special priced item that I noticed a difference on I would ask to have it corrected- also to make sure they correct it for future customers. I generally go grocery shopping once a week and use self checkout so I pay attention, but I'm not super detailed remembering every price to the penny.

I work as an assistant store manager for a national department store, so pricing and customer service is important to me. I realize people make mistakes- my employees and customers- and sometimes prices don't match up to items. When we ask a customer to point out to us where they got the "disputed" item it's so we can make sure the sign gets changed or the item number gets entered in to the system correctly. Usual policy is that the cashier goes ahead and changes it for the customer so they don't have to wait (most of them know their departments so they can judge what is reasonable) and then they call a supervisor to address it while they are still taking care of customers at the register. This would be in a situation like a customer saying "I thought that shirt was on sale for $19.99" when it rang up on sale for $24.99. When the supervisor goes to check they may find that one style shirt on a rack with others and then they can move that shirt to the correct rack- it's not worth wasting the customer's time for our mistake. Now sometimes we have one type of shirt on the front of a rack signed with one price and coordinating pants on the back also signed. Customers don't read the description, they just see the lower price and want that price for the pants. In that case we may have to show the customer the sign, and when we're nice about it they understand.

I have to remind my associates sometimes that it's not what you say, it's how you say it. And that it's not coming out of their pocket directly. And to put themselves in the customer's shoes.

Do your stores NOT have prices on the shelf?? When I pick up an item, I always make note of the price. Its usually the price/value that makes me pick the product. We aren't brand loyal to many things so whatever has the better price/value, is what I buy. Even when I'm not on a budget, why would I pay more for something you can get cheaper? ;)

Sure, my store has prices clearly posted, but when I have a grocery cart overflowing (usually around $250 or so) I can't recall the price of all items within a *very few* cents. My brain functions well enough to get out of the rain, but a few cents or two on a box of crackers I rarely buy...nope. My hat's off to all you! :)

Last edited:

Yep, sure do!

And, to above poster, it's not usually just a few cents (as I mentioned in a pp). A few cents wouldn't bother me - $$'s, yes!

Sure, my store has prices clearly posted, but when I have a grocery cart overflowing (usually around $250 or so) I can't recall the price of all items within a *very few* cents. My brain functions well enough to get out of the rain, but a few cents or two on a box of crackers I rarely buy...nope. My hat's off to all you! :)
Well that's completely fine but it's also completely fine for others to be more price aware. Doesn't mean that there are times where it slips through the cracks sure of course but as a general rule seems like there are at least multiple people who keep up with what the prices of items should be.

Also $250 well that's all relative correct? I mean it can be quite easy to walk out of Costco for example spending $250 but not getting an overflowing cart of small stuff.

Different strokes for different folks for sure :D

Right?

There's no way I'm remembering the exact price of every item I purchase on a regular grocery trip. I don't even know the typical price of items. I usually have a list, & I'll shop & price-compare from my list. But I'm not trying to remember down to the cent what each item costs. I don't know if the green beans cost $1.79 or $2.54. But, this week, Del Monte was on sale, so that's what I bought.

Now, if there's something like a "buy 1/get 1" promotion, I'll remember that & try to make sure it rings up correctly. Or, if I've purchased 2 of something, & the cashier rings up 3 of the item, if I notice it, I'll say something.

The other day, we were at Target, & I purchased 2 packages of mini-candy conversation hearts & 2 packages of regular conversation candy hearts. I noticed that the cashier had rung up 3 packages of the 2 mini-candy hearts instead of just 2, so I said something. And, then on the way to the car, I noticed that she also rang up 3 of the regular conversation candy hearts at well, but it wasn't worth it to me to go back inside. But I couldn't tell you the actual price of the conversation hearts.

However, if I'm buying particular items (a piece of clothing, shoes, a frame, whatever) & the items aren't grocery-related, I'll typically take note of the price & try to make sure it rings up correctly - like, "Oh, I thought those shirts were 25% off?"

But, as to the original question, I think it would need to be over a dollar at least. And, if I notice it after I get home, it needs to be an amount that's worth my time going back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter