How Many Guests Per Campsite?

I get it 10 is a lot. You have to admire there setup though. Look how big the homemade awning is! And a blue tarp for the rug. The deep freezer was even something i didnt think of.
Yes i get some people, especially large groups can be disturbing, but as long as they are respectful and cognizant of the people around them, i would cut them some slack. Some dont have the money to do it any other way.

Ft Wilderness HAS a Group Camping Area! What we've been seeing in the tent and RV Loops is just another example of all concerned ignoring the rules and guidelines. Security sadly has to deal with a lot more "rule-breaking" and "social/behavioral" problems these days, but if we all just ignore it, it keeps getting worse. (It makes one wonder if Ft. Wilderness will be around long term...Or is it just too much trouble?)

I’ve only stayed in the tent loops for the past 4 years since we got our popup. We are a family of 6 and our site doesn’t look exactly like that but it does have multiple bikes and a shade structure in it. We are good and conscientious campers, I believe. We have had plenty of neighbors in 2000 with the over 10 people, kitchen site, kids in the street that have no idea of street safety(the very low ride ons freak me out - you can’t see the kids when backing up), and the obnoxious horn honking at all hours. We have NEVER seen security approach any site. We are site people and rarely visit the parks - security just doesn’t engage. I’ve seen sites with 4 cars parked across the driveway in the dirt and security has ignored it. Granted, I’ve never called it in because it hasn’t impacted me enough but, really, they are Disneys rules and if they are being obviously broken, it’s up to them to stop it for the good of all their other guests 4 tents plus 4 cars breaks rules and is easily visible from the security SUV.

My pop up camper site will definitely look like that with only 2 or 3 people. Im there for 2 weeks and the pop ups are small. I have to fix the add a room and will also bring an easy up to go over the table. Add a few bikes and an outside college type fridge and im there. Unfortunately there is really no other way to do it. ( forgot the projection screen for the movies, i will invite the neighbors!) So not exactly boonbocking.......still i will be quite at 10 pm, lights out.

Ft Wilderness HAS a Group Camping Area! What we've been seeing in the tent and RV Loops is just another example of all concerned ignoring the rules and guidelines. Security sadly has to deal with a lot more "rule-breaking" and "social/behavioral" problems these days, but if we all just ignore it, it keeps getting worse. (It makes one wonder if Ft. Wilderness will be around long term...Or is it just too much trouble?)

Been down that road with FW management.

Yes there is a group camping site.

Yes it does get booked and used by groups.

Yes there are more groups that want to use it on the same dates but if it's already booked, they will put the people in individual tent sites (seen it in both 2000 and 1500). Because they want to fill up the campground. And the group runs back-and-forth-(and-back-and-forth) through my site all weekend long...

Honestly this kinda crap is why I started booking Preferred and Premium sites. While that's no guarantee that it won't happen there, the higher price point for those generally means it will happen less often. Premium is probably the best solution because they are generally tent non-friendly. I'll stay in a tent site if it's january because that's generally not compatible tent weather. But any other time of the year I'm :music: "movin' on up to the East Side" :music:.

giphy.gif

This topic frustrates me because of Disney's non-enforcement of its own rules. I'm gonna quit posting in this thread before I say something that earns me a vacation for a few weeks. :surfweb:

Bama Ed

PS - Yes I did book and stay in a tent site in March 2018 but it was the only type of site available on short notice when DW and I went down to see DD while she was working for the Mouse (and at least I did get 1500 and I got lucky that time with my neighbors). But other than that, I haven't stayed in the tent loops for a while. Love 1500 but the tent loops are prone to the issues I mention above.

PPS - and if you look at my signature, my first visit to Fort Wilderness was with the Boy Scouts in 1981 and we stayed in the group campsite (named Creekside Meadow). It was the first time I ever saw spanish moss. That trip was magical to me.

Last edited:

Lol, it atually makes sense, Disney knows they will spend at the resorts. More people, more tickets , more trinkets bought more $$$$. Thats why they dont do anything.

There was a group several years ago that occupied almost the entire 1600 loop while we were there in February. Cars everywhere, tents all over the place, non approved fire pits all over. It was an absolute mad house that Disney ignored for the entire weekend. I think its a many faceted issue with Disney although I think the first and foremost thing is their policy of non confrontation. Their rules are for those of us that follow rules, those that dont are left to themselves. I am all done dealing with "rangers" my experience has been less than positive with them and I wont deal with a CM that poorly trained and powerless. Anything of any real consequence and I will bypass security and go straight to the Sheriffs dept. They keep public records unlike Disney and that tends to get their attention.

The group we dealt with knew they were not going to be confronted. When we went to the front desk after about half of them arrived, Fort Management told us "we've had problems with them in the past, they're not all here yet, it's going to get much worse". Any guests that block a loop causing RV's, vehicles and even golf carts to back out or turn around need to be confronted. Any tents set up on someone else’s site or the dog walk area behind the 300 loop need to be removed. But security came out, looked around and said they weren’t going to say anything. When security came out at 2:30 a.m. and did nothing they started opening and slamming every car door they had, they knew they broke us. When we told Fort Management “we’re done, we’ll contact the sheriffs office from here out”, we were told we’d have to change sites the next day for our safety. They said if the sheriff shows up the “group” would know it was us and they would get worse. And yes, confirming what Bama said, we were told that groups can be in any site catagory, they said this group always books preferred, so this could happen anywhere to any of us. We were not the only “non group” guests on our loop, but security told us we were the only ones calling. Please, if you have something like this happen to you or see a situation like this, call someone, say something, even if you think no one cares. The first night we were moved to our new site there were 2 sheriffs vehicles blocking the entrance to the 300 loop, perhaps someone else couldn’t take it! To me, it’s not the size of a family or group that occupies a site, or what type of set up they need to do to make the site work for them, it’s the attitudes that matter.

I think honestly our worst issue with this is when they start playing really loud music. Seems like every time we have gone camping anywhere where this is done with 10 people or more, and honestly I think FW has been our worst experience with this, they always have really loud music blasting.

Here was a campsite across from me in 2013 in 1500 loop that had a popup, a tent, and a flippin DEEP FREEZE (the big white chest in front of the tent). They had a hoard of people at meal time and three vehicles at night (and probably more people than 10 somewhere) but at least they were quiet at night.

IMG_20120321_182949.jpg

I guess I'm starting to sound more like the neighborhood grumpy old man that yells "you kids get off my lawn". :confused3

Bama Ed

I see no problem with this set up. It looks nice and neat and clean. I would have no problem having them for neighbors as long as they were not disruptive. The only problem I would have is with 3 cars on the 1500 loop, as there is NO WAY they could fit those without blocking the street or being off the drive. Extra vehicles should always be in overflow lot.

I actually have a similar pop-up and some trips also a tent. I also have a deep freeze, but it's inside my camper, so you will only see the beverage coolers outside. I also don't have any kind of elaborate awning set up, but I give these people kudos for ingenuity.

Not at all. That looks terrible and most people would not appreciate that set up next to them.

Perhaps you would be more comfortable in an RV park than a family campground.

@Sjm9911 , I'm Orchid but not allowed to send PMs here yet.

Last edited:
I think I will call and say something if we have this issue. It costs too much to have your space invaded, and our vacation days are precious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter