How many comps have you recieved?

We received a preemptive comp from the BC management in regards to a pool closing. We had a resort day planned for the following day when the pool suddenly closed. The party line was that it was a short-term thing, but there was a lot of hushed whispering going on. I went to Guest Services and asked to be leveled with, since we were traveling with two children with autism who were expecting to swim the next day. I said whatever was decided was fine, but I needed time to prep them if there was going to be a change. I was hoping to be allowed to swim at the BW pool in event of a closure, but they issued us one day water park passes for the four of us, explaining that a part was needed and it was unlikely the pool would open the following day. It turns out the pool did open and we never needed the passes. I had forgotten all about this...I wonder if they are still valid? :)

Unfortunately, the MB's did not work to get into our room until 10:45pm that night (after several hours and trips wasted to the front desk, dealing with several CM's including the night manager, etc.) They finally figured out their problem and we were comped that first night (and given an extra FP for the ride of our choice).

We were comped one night at Pop last August for the exact same reason. We kept trying to get into our room late at night. KTTW and MB's did not work. I kept going back and forth to the front desk to explain the situation. They kept telling me that it should work and they kept sending me on my way. Then they promised to send a "runner" to my room to help me get in. Nobody came because the "runner" was on his break.

I finally broke down into hysterical tears on my fourth trip back to the front desk because my children were asleep on the ground outside our room and nobody was helping us. I never asked for the comp, I just wanted to open my door. :sad1:

I've been comped three times at Disney resorts.

The first was when I tried to check into an OKW Grand Villa on New Year's Day. Apparently the previous guests had quite the party and trashed the place. We were not allowed into our villa until after 7:00. Our group of 7 people hung out at the pool for over 4 hours (they told us it was ready before 4:00). They offered to compensate me.

The second was when I checked into BCV and there are diarrhea on the outside of the toilet. I am NOT a germophobe be even that grossed me out. We checked in quite late and I contacted Housekeeping that night and asked for it to be cleaned the next day. We came home and the brown stains were still there. It was midnight, so we just went to sleep. I called Housekeeping again the next day and when we came home from the parks it still wasn't taken care of. I had enough. I went down to the Front Desk and insisted that they compensate me. There was no excuse for 2 full days of diarrhea stains.

The last was at BWV and the battery on our door died. The key card wouldn't work. We had a Boardwalk View over New Year's Eve so we couldn't really move. They let us into our room and said that they would call someone to replace the battery. They told us to wait. That was OK since it in our break time, so I took our DD down to the pool. 3 hours later, no new battery. My DH called and called but didn't feel he could leave because we were in the pool and had to have someone let us in. I wouldn't have minded if we were not asked to wait and my DH stayed awake instead of napping.

The only comp we've ever gotten was at BC a while back. We had a terrible time getting someone to clean our room. We came back to the room at 10PM on our first full day, and no one had been there to do anything. I called mousekeeping to complain, they brought us clean towels and said it would not happen again. Next day, after a long day at MK, we arrived back after midnight, and our room not been touched. I called the front desk this time and talked to the night manager, who sent someone up to look at the room and bring more towels. After a third day of no cleaning I'd had it, and talked with the manager of BC. He was appalled, and made sure our room was spotless the rest of the trip. I didn't ask for anything other than for our room to be cleaned by 6PM after that, but on the morning we left, I looked at the bill and we had a huge credit. I went to the front desk to show them what I thought was a mistake. The CM went in the back to get the manager. He apologized again and said that he felt that was the least he could do. I was very surprised and grateful to find out that he had credited our bill 3 nights, but I never asked for anything other than a clean room. :)

Stayed at the Poly in 2010. Something happened in the ceiling of our room related to the AC causing dripping water to seep into room. poly found us another room in the same building and we repacked and moved. They comped us 1 night for the trouble. I didn't ask for it of course. Got a nice credit on the bill.

God help anyone who comes into this thread admitting to receiving any comps for complaining about something.

In almost 20 years of going to Disney, the only comp I ever got was 3 instant fastpasses each because it took 20 minutes to print our AP's due to a broken printer. We didn't complain, I think the cm appreciated that we didn't. I guess that is good because we never had anything happen with a room that required one.

I would love to know your opinions on our situation as I am not sure if we were overreacting or not.

We got there exactly at 4pm (timed it perfectly with our 18 hr drive) so we could check in and make it to the park for a nice evening. I used My Disney Experience and linked our 7 day hoppers to our reservation. I was told to just let them know I did this at check-in so I did. Well somehow that confused the crap out of them b/c it took them over an hour to figure out they didn't need to do anything as our tickets were already on our room cards. In the mean time I was able to give my mom a card to go to the room. This is at Boardwalk and she had a REALLY long walk carrying a few bags of groceries and milk. She came back while I am still dealing with check-in and said the key didn't work and someone seemed to be in the room. Long story short- after three long trips to the room they figured out they gave us the wrong number- over 2 hours was lost and my mother was exhausted. We let this go and moved on with our vacation.

Finally made it to Hollywood Studios at about 7pm only to find out my husband's card didn't work- I had to spend another 40min at guest relations for them to reissue him a card. This is what made me complain. They spent all that time earlier to make sure the tickets were on our room card only to find out my husband's ticket was not on his card. We got maybe an hour before the park closed.

The next morning I spoke to the front desk about what happened. She went to talk to someone and came back and asked when we were going to be in our room later. I told her we could be in our room at 6pm. She wouldn't say what the surprise was but it sounded like it was for my son's 4th birthday. Another long story short- we made it back at 6pm- no one came- at 7pm I called the front desk- they said they would call back- no one called back. More time wasted. After I finally called two more times the next day I figured out they were going to bring a cake and balloons for my son while we were gone and I'm only assuming b/c there was a do not disturb on one door they left. We had a 2 bedroom lock-off with 2 doors- only 1 door had do not disturb. I would have taken it down before we left but the CM made it sound like she wanted us there for the surprise- not that they were bringing something while we were gone. We got the cake the next day.

We ended up getting the cake/balloons for free and a $50 credit for a meal along with 4 fast passes.

We are really easy going people so I still feel bad for the freebies but, then again, I'm still really annoyed with all the time we wasted as well as the fact not once did someone call me back- I had to keep calling.

Personally, I would rather be stuck with a bad room than have hours of my time wasted at Disney. Seems pretty reasonable to me to be upset about all that wasted time.

God help anyone who comes into this thread admitting to receiving any comps for complaining about something.

I started this thread because I was curious why and how often people get comped at Disney. Since I really was curious and wanted open and honest feedback, I asked everyone not to bash others for what they write, and so far there hasn't been bashing. Of course, everything so far has seemed pretty reasonable.

BUahaha, my best "comp" story.

OK, this wasn't a Disney Trip, it was actually a Miami trip. And we were renting a car, had planned on a little compact ... didn't need anything else so why bother ?

So we go to the rental place, guy at the counter is talking us up, but in a very familiar friendly way. Talks about how its our first time renting from them and that we travel to florida at least once a year and they want to get repeat business and so he says ... ok I see you have paid for a compact, well, I can hook you up. ... His exact words "I can HOOK YOU UP" ... inside I was all like "Yea this is going to be awesome !!!!" ... blah blah blah he goes on talking about how he is going to get us cruising in style and is going to put us in a g37 ... awesome great.

So, he does his thing, we walk away with the keys, and I look down at the receipt, it was an additional $498. I did a 180, walked back to the counter and told him to fix it. Then had to explain to him that "I'll hook you up" must mean something different where I come from, because if someone comes to me and has paid for a "D" product and I say to them, "Oh, I'll hook you up" and then arrange a C, B, or A product, I mean that I am upgrading them for free, I am comping them.

He didn't seem to get it ... we drove away in a Nissan Versa Hatch :P

Nyet. Nada in terms of resort/room comps.

The closest thing that came to a comp for us at WDW was when we stayed at CBR for our honeymoon years ago. On our last day there, we had a late flight out so we had bell services hold our luggage. In it was a snow globe that I got at Epcot, and it broke. In a way, it was my fault, and I didn't demand anything for it, they just saw me sad on the ground clutching broken glass remnants of the snow globe and offered to replace it. They were kind enough to take down my info, including where I got it and within a week of being home, they'd FedEx'd me a new one free of charge. :worship:

Got there on the 2nd at around 8am to attempt to check in and nothing was available for me. I say me because I noticed to my left and right people associated with I think a group from Microsoft were getting rooms, so I asked the castmember why they could get a room but you're telling me that you have no timetable? She initially danced around the question but eventually more or less said that CSR needs to accommodate this large group since they are Disney's convention hotel. Obviously saying that implied that my business or the business of anyone not associated with this/a group is useless.

So eventually she makes some calls and says that we'll be on the 3rd floor of 6A and that they would send me a text later as to when my room will be ready. I didn't want to be all the way across from El Centro and I also didn't want to be on the 3rd floor but she said that the resort was full that week and that her hands were tied.

Whatever.

So we go to HS for the day and naturally that text about our room being available never came. So we get back around 8pm and after waiting in line for a good 20-25 minutes (only 2 cast members to check people in yet the check in area is packed) it's finally my turn and the guy I deal with initially says that my room is still not ready which is why I never got a text.

Que pasa?

So I show him the map where Pat circled 6A along with the 3rd floor and he said that room was given to someone else and that he would have to make some calls. So after a few calls he says all he has is 2nd floor in 6B. Oh good, so we're still on the opposite end of the resort from El Centro, not on the 1st floor and now farther away from the parking lot and pretty much everything else. Again, he's "sorry" but that's all they have left for the week.

So we get to the room to find the fridge is not turned on or plugged in, no extra TP in the room plus the roll on the spool has already been started, two of the handles of the dresser are broken and behind the bathroom door is a fairly large clump of "hair".

Awesome.

So I call to get more TP and the hair cleaned up and naturally no one shows up.

We're tired from the long drive from PA and the day at HS so we opt to go to sleep and fight this tomorrow. So I call the next morning and was told that TP would come and the hair would get cleaned up. We leave for AK and when we come back around 6pm there are four rolls of TP in our room but the hair is still there and now, we have no bath towels.

Now I have to call again to get the hair cleaned up plus bath towels. While we're at the pool the towels are put in our room plus even more TP but the dresser handles are still broken and the hair is still behind the door.

On day three I made a trip to the concierge desk to talk about what had gone on and while they were "sorry" and while they said that the dresser/hair issues would get fixed that day it never happened nor was I offered anything.

By the time we checked out on the 8th after six nights (five of which we got housekeeping service) the hair had never been cleaned up and I don't think our room was vacuumed once during the week plus the handles on the dresser were never fixed.

Total comps offered = zero
Total fake apologies = more than I can remember

I've never been comped at Disney or anywhere else. I have complained about things with a room at disney but never been comped for it. If we complained about something with the room, like the sliding door lock doesn't work, refrigerator wasn't cooling/running, safe was never reset by prior guest (so we couldn't use it), etc. all small things that were fixed during our stay. I guess I wouldn't say I even complained about those things, I just requested that they fix them and they always did.

Something really awful would have to happen for me to even think of complaining and getting anything other than an apology for it (that goes for anywhere). Mostly if I complain about something I do it so the management can know and then make every effort to fix the problem so no one else experiences it.

I've seen a few instances of people calling the front desk and not having anyone come.... The button labeled "front desk" takes you to a call center that is generally out of state and answered by people who haven't necessarily even been in Florida, let alone worked AT WDW. And they don't work AT WDW now.

Go to the front desk. It's a pain. A rotten pain. We're a family of 3 and a couple times now DS and I have arrived before DH. It's a pain to have to go to the front desk when you have to take everyone, or when someone is hurting (DH, once). But you have to do it, because otherwise you will be shunted around and only *possibly* ever get to talk to someone at the resort.

How many comps have you received from Disney? Is this more or less than you have received from other hotels?

I have never gotten anything from another hotel. But Disney seems to like to give money out.

ETA: I wasn't the one doing it, but my brand new DH was...the non-Disney hotel were we stayed before and just after our wedding (and we had many guests there as well in a block) decided to ignore the *late checkout* designations on my suite and DH's suite from before our wedding. I had family in my suite, but his was empty apart from the guys' tuxes (we went to a different hotel for our wedding night). Well, empty except a fridge FULL of our wedding cake.

The housekeeper came in, cleaned, and started throwing away the cake. DH thankfully walked in on this and stopped her. I mean come on, the tuxes were there, the late checkout was known to them....

He got some compensation from them for that. DH is a master at it. He doesn't raise his voice and he doesn't tell them what he should have. He tells them the problem, tells them why it's a problem, and goes silent after asking what THEY think the appropriate thing to do is. And so they do.

I promise I am not making that up.

I know you're not. I know how sick I get when mold/mildew is involved. It's almost instant and it takes me to the floor. Did the same thing to my mom. Awful. (and we both had even worse reactions to the product that is supposed to get rid of it on walls, Killz, in separate places but at the same weirdly coincidental time...we couldn't win!)

I guess we did have another resort related issue, though DH and I would have let this go too (but BIL did not let it go). We were left stranded all alone at a water park at midnight (SIL and I with 5 kids...it was open late one night and our BWV bus never came, the lights all shut down and no CMs could be found...we flagged down one of the last buses and they refused to pick us up even though it was a nearly empty bus.

:hug: How did you get back to the resort?

We also got a $100 resort credit another time when we had around 50 KTTW card for our party of 7 during a 6 night stay.

:headache:

We ended up with 24 over a 3 night stay for 8 of us. Such a pain. Though one set I think wasn't needed; they called us to tell us the keys (RFIDs, last Feb) *wouldn't* work, but we hadn't used any yet. Once we were done with the park and went back, I used my card to open the gate arm to the resort...seems if they weren't going to work it wouldn't have opened that?

We've never gotten anything comped or had an upgrade.
I sort of cringe when people start listing the things they've gotten comped for because we've had some REALLY bad things happen at Disney, both by chance and directly due to CM error or cruelty even. We once checked into a room that had no working tub or shower, rotting food in the fridge, construction in the neighboring rooms (7am wakeup call was a hammer every day!) the nearest elevators were all closed for construction use, and they did fire alarm tests multiple days while my infant was napping. It took a full day to get them to fix the little pull knob so we could get shower water, and they still hadn't gotten us a stopper for the tub until the week was almost over. Compared to the OP of that other thread, I should have gotten a free week GF RPC for that stay. I always leave these threads feeling like Disney just doesn't like or appreciate me, but I can't stop looking. And then we go back again.

ETA- Forgot to mention with that room, at check-in they never gave us a room number, and while we arrived at 10 am, we didn't have a room available until 7pm, our luggage didn't come until 11pm, by which point I had a sleeping 6 year old and 6 month old in my bed because they forgot the pack and play.

I'm speechless at the things that have gone wrong AND that you've never gotten even an apology or any assistance. Speechless.

Every time something happened it was a "one time" thing, so it was taken care of and then why move? Then something else... It really didn't upset us, it just makes me laugh when I see complaints about little things.

When writing and talking to managers about it I wasn't worried about being put on a list. I don't think there is a "be mean" list either, in this particular instance they would scan my ticket and then have a note specifically tied to me. I didn't want Disney to give me something, but after seeing stories of what people "deal with" and what Disney does to compensate them- I am puzzled by why they never even offered anything. Comparing my experience to people who have been offered amazing comp's makes me sad. I had to beg just to get an apology.

Several people have come forward and it has been fine.

Mostly if I complain about something I do it so the management can know and then make every effort to fix the problem so no one else experiences it.

I think that's how most people view it. It's just that Disney seems to, in most cases, have a set of things they'll offer up, and they tend to offer it up pretty easily.

Since I answered on the other thread...

AKJambo, villas. Checked in quick, ran our carryons to the room, immediately went off to Sanaa. First visit to WDW, after dark, long trip. Told to take shuttle over. OK. When done with dinner, no shuttle, stopped running. We can walk or take the bus. What bus, where? What path, where? It's totally dark, it was the infamously cold December of 2010, our son was 6 and exhausted... Decided to take the bus, the driver was really rude, just not a great time. Get to Jambo, go on up looking forward to my epsom salts soak to keep my feet and legs in any sort of condition for park touring... Accessible room. NO tub. Tears from a certain person (moi). Husband hating that wife is in tears. Goes to front desk.

Long long line of people, mind you this is around 10pm if not later, of people with problems. more than one family with young children who have no need for an accessible room but have been given one. In our case, the lack of a tub was a problem for me; in many cases it was a problem for the children. We're lucky, DS has taken showers since he was around 5. But not many kids. If you're giving out that room, TELL people. DH gets there, and stated our case clearly, etc etc, refused to engage in "what do you want, sir", and let them state the terms. Luckily he followed a woman who wanted all of her points back because it was cold, so he was super-reasonable-seeming in comparison. :)

$100, new room the next day, and the unheard of late checkout (until the second room was ready) for a DVC room. In retrospect we should have just been "homeless". Sitting around a room not doing anything, not having fun, not exploring (though I was in a large amount of pain from not being able to soak my feet the night before...this was well before the weight loss in my signature and I was still in serious denial about it as well)...just not fun. Better if we had gone out and enjoyed a park.

Oh and the $100...we hadn't designated room charging. To access the money we had to set up a room charge. This was our first WDW stay, we hadn't done room charge on the other two reservations we'd had or over at Universal where we had been before Jambo, we didn't know a thing about it. And they didn't explain. We had some good giftcards left that we wanted to use. I went to the front desk around 6am morning of checkout, only to find out that room charge sets you up for express checkout, which means they charge the night before. :rolleyes2 Fabulous.

SSR, 2 bedroom, a month or so after the area we were put in was fully renovated...can't remember when this was... Massive huge bad awful mold/mildew problem. I don't know the difference in smell because the instant I smell it when it's that bad my nose shuts down. Not too long after entering the room I was on the bed in a fetal position, just SO sick. DH didn't know what to do, called the front desk. He actually did end up shunted over to someone AT the resort, which was great. Offers to move us NOW, but I was too sick and couldn't think and kept saying no. Offers to not only move us to another 2 bedroom, but to a Grand Villa. Again I said no because I didn't want something special, just wanted what we paid for.

This was also when we had 8 keys made up 3 separate times...2 just that checkin day and 1 for the next day with the new room.

My extended family arrived, healthy and happy, and didn't like the smell of the place but dealt with it. Next morning my cousin and her daughter woke up sounding like they had colds. The women of my family don't deal well with spores, it seems.

Since they had had the 2 bedroom ready the night before we didn't have to wait for it to be cleaned, but we did have to wait for our room keys to be delivered *as they told us they would do*. So in the meantime we have housekeeping banging on our door starting at 8am. Why? I don't know. They didn't even know we were moving. Somehow we had gotten on their list, even though we weren't staying long enough for a "towel and trash" day, and definitely not for a cleaning.

We're slowly getting bags out of the place and to our cars so we could drive to wherever they were putting us, dodging the housekeeper and calling Housekeeping to report things that weren't in the kitchen that should have been... Waiting for Housekeeping manager to come *as he said he was going to do* because of the room's state. He finally comes, acts like he doubts there's a problem (by the way, the FIRST thing they said they would do was to send Housekeeping over with "a bunch of air fresheners". I wasn't hospital-worthy yet, but THAT chemical assault would have sent me there!)...and then steps in the room. And radios in that the room would need to be closed and thoroughly taken care of.

We were also given the $100 compensation. That morning, everyone starting to feel better the longer we were out of the toxic room, we went on over to the pool. DH went over to set up room charging, so we could access the compensation.

And it took 2 hours. Of solid work on the part of the CMs. Who were all apologetic. Except for one manager dude who started acting like it was DH's fault. That was stopped. The CMs started going over to Artist's Palette with him to see if he could charge, and they would pick random things to buy and then refund if it worked. But it didn't work. Finally it worked, and they just gave us the two refillable mugs that had worked to be purchased. Oh and they added $50 to the account for the 2 hours it took to add charging to the account that we ONLY wanted so we could access the other compensation.

Feb 2012, Boardwalk. Got a 1 bedroom for ONE night's stay, specifically so we could wash clothes through the evening. We had come from DisneyLAND and were going to Universal, and spent those points *instead of spending $10 in the laundry rooms at Universal resorts*. And the dryer didn't work. Oh it seemed like it worked, but it didn't. By the time I realized this it was, oh, 2am, and I wasn't going to haul pounds and pounds of wet laundry to wherever the laundry room was.

Wrote in after we got home, heard back, they quite reasonably refunded the points that were the difference between the 1 bedroom and a studio (since in effect we got a studio since we couldn't use the part of the room we intended to us).

I'm not sure that I have the email anymore, but nowhere in it did I ask for anything. I just wanted it to be fixed.

Same with SSR. DH just wanted it cleaned.

Same with Jambo. DH just wanted an appropriate room and to have them TELL families what they are being given. They are being sneaky, with not telling. If there's no problem with it, just tell people. The secrecy makes it seem like a bigger problem than it is.

And when we've had good things happen with our rooms, we thank them! Specifically sought out the CM at BW last month who put us in a great studio (wasn't his decision but he was the one giving the room number and I was good with that). Put in a huge kudos with a manager for the specific people, especially the Housekeeper, who had found, put aside, and put through the proper channels, the Kindle that I had left that morning at checkout! etc etc. :)

And sometimes you just aren't offered anything but to fix it. Tried Kidani after saying never again to Jambo. RFID door panel fell off our second to last day. Chip in washing machine needed to be replaced because hot came out when cold was selected (and hot came out when hot was selected), and it turned out this was the *second* round of fixes because the first round, of switching hoses, didn't work because that wasn't the problem...they fixed it. Quicker than I wanted them to. :) After checkin, after the CM told us that there would be no Jambo-type problems and if there were, this was his name and he would be there...walked all the way with an injured DH to our room...RFID keycards didn't work. All the way back. Where's the CM? Gone for the day. :faint: They sent a CM up their secret stairways to check out the second set of cards, which if I recall correctly didn't work, so they did it again. Apologies and fixes, and nothing else and that's fine. We're done with AKL, though. :) Too many problems and too dark of an interior for my messed up eyes (thanks Lasik!) and just not *nice* to our eyes. More AKL for everyone else!

We are here this week and my friend checked in to her room at CBR to find both night stand drawers containing "adult" toys. Ahem. They called for a manager who came and casually picked them up with his bare hands and left without so much as an apology. What if kids had found those! Gross! :)

We got a surprise, free upgrade to CL the first time we stayed at YC, but that happened at check in and there wasn't time to complain about anything:). This past summer at BWI we had a LOT of trouble with our KTTW cards not opening our door and not working for room charges in the parks. I spent way too much time on getting that worked out, and I mentioned my displeasure. We were given 4 FPs each for our trip to MK the next day.

In 12 trips to the World, we only had one truly bad hotel experience. I tried to handle the issues while we were there, to no avail. When I got home I wrote a letter to the manager of the hotel letting him know how disappointed I was. He called and offered me a free stay at the hotel, which I declined. I meant it when I said that even if it was free, I'd never stay there again. (No, I am not naming the hotel.)

We received one at CBR. We never got our luggage delivered by Magical Express. :scared1:

We went down to the front desk and spoke with the manager. We were also on the phone constantly with Southwest. Long story short, I don't even think this was Disney's fault. I'm pretty sure our luggage got off in Nashville during a layover while we continued onto Orlando. :worried:

Realizing this was not Disney's fault, I was in the lobby speaking with the very rude SW customer service rep and literally started to cry (we were already into our second night without our stuff, other than carryons).

We started to walk out of the lobby, back to our room and the manager ran up to us and brought us back to the desk. He credited us $150 to go to the gift shop and grab some clothes and other items until we got our luggage (on day 3).

I didn't ask for it, I certainly didn't expect it (I didn't even blame Disney!). It was simply a nice gesture by the manager that honestly made my day. I remember giving him a huge hug while crying, at that point from happiness.

This probably doesn't count as a comp per say but it was awesome. In September each year we travel with another couple. This trip, they were staying at AK with a savanna view. The door to the fridge fell off. When they went to the front desk, they were offered another room with a savanna view. Then they asked what they could do to make it up to them. My friend, trying to be cute, laughs and asks if she can have a giraffe. Well their new room ended up being as close to where they fed the giraffes as you can get.

I still tease her when making our plans if she is requesting the giraffe view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter