How long is your daily commute?

10 - 15 minutes, assuming my wife drops me off first (we are a one car family). If I drop her off, it's more like 45 minutes - 1 hour.

About 30 minutes to work and 20 minutes home on a good day. I drive into the city and crossing the bridge always adds extra time.

30-40 minutes each way depending on traffic. Use to have a 5 minute commute. Really miss it.

Longest was about 1 and a half hours. Shortest was about 20 minutes. Now I’m a SAHM, so the commute is a few feet.

I used to like driving and my longest mentioned commute ruined that for me, but all commutes are not made equal. Some questions I think you should consider if it’s a driving commute:

1. Will there be winter driving involved? Will this make it even longer?

2. Is this going to raise your insurance?

3. Are you willing to accept that more driving means a higher likihood of accidents both serious and minor?

4. Is it a stressful commute? I.E. Easy miles vs. bumper to bumper traffic. Is there a high likihood of backups that could make you need to allot even more time to get there?

5. Are you willing to accept that your car will be taking on this extra wear and tear?

When I worked outside the home I drove 6 miles each way, and I was super thankful for a short commute. Personally I wouldn't take a job where my drive was 45-minutes each way. I would hate that, especially in the winter on snowy, ice covered roads.

My Dad had an hour long commute each way, for many years. He carpooled though and generally only had to drive it himself once or twice a week. When I grew up I realized what a sacrifice that was for him, to do that for me, so I didn't have to go to school in a large city. I will always appreciate that. My parents easily could have moved to the city so he wouldn't have had such a long commute, but they didn't want me to have to switch from a small-town school to a huge one.

1 1/2 to 2 hours each way to downtown Chicago. I take a train, and then have a 35 minute walk from the train station to work. And back again.

Been doing it for nearly 8 years now. With the kids out of the house, I'd love to move closer to the city -- DH's not entirely convinced.

Last edited:

I used to have a 90 minute (56 mile) commute that turned into 120 for rain or a minor fender bender, or 300 minutes for minor snow.

On a good day, I could cover the first 45 miles in 45 minutes, but the final 11 took an additional 45. THAT part was pretty soul crushing. I really never minded the section where traffic MOVED.

My commute when the weather is nice is about 45 minutes each way. In the winter when snow becomes an issue that 45 minutes easily stretches to well over an hour. I go into work early so I miss rush hours for the most part but on those days that I leave later it can add another 30 minutes each way (even when the weather is good.) Weather and rush hours can have a big impact.

Depends on whether it's my day to drive to school that day. We have a carpool with another family, so I take in to school 3 days a week and the other family takes two days (and brings home all 5, so that's nice).

Days I take to school, it's around an hour total driving time. Days I don't, it's normally about 30 minutes (depending, obviously, on traffic). Unfortunately, the school is the opposite way from my office.

*IF* the stars align and I hit all the green lights I can do it in 50 min., but I allow an hour. Half is highway, the other half is very rural, Amish country so I often get behind a buggy or a looky-loo tourist. I try not to complain too much since the Amish/tourism is what pays a huge chunk of my salary! I subscribe to audible, right now I'm halfway through the Harry Potter books, have read them several times, but I LOVE listening to them as well.

My current commute is 25-30 minutes each way. Before switching jobs I had a 75 minute commute each way and everyday I came home wanting to cry from the stress of all of it. 30 minutes is perfect especially on the way home because it gives me time to decompress especially if I have had a rough day.

With traffic, an hour+ each way.

Without traffic it would take 30 minutes.

I've never had a short commute so I can't miss what I don't know. I also have to pay for parking and then walk to work-walk time adds 10 minutes or so. If I lived in a city with lightrail I would probably use it.

Honestly? It sucks. But I know I'm lucky to be employed, have a roof, and not commute even longer. I really just hate the wasted time and the physical discomfort of sitting so long. For the last year I have had weekends off though, which was a glorious gift for the first time since I started working as a young teen.

It's hard to have hope, but I do aspire to own a place and either have a short commute, work distance, or work for myself someday.

Traffic is worst in the winter. Leave before sunrise, leave work at the last bit of sunset. The dark and weather impacts traffic badly. Takes closer to 1.5 hours on average to get home, then when it snows badly- sometimes THREE hours each way.

15 minutes to work at 3 or 4 am

20 to 30 minutes home at 1130 am to 1230 pm

13 miles each way.

5-7 minutes depending on when I leave home & if I get stopped by the stop light.

Kae

Mine is 45 minutes on a good day, a little over an hour on a bad. I listen to a lot of podcasts. (Only time I listen to the Dis is on the way home from work!)
It's not really terrible at all and many of my coworkers have similar or even longer commutes - an hour commute is definitely not out of the ordinary in many parts of the country.

If it's a job you think you'll like, I wouldn't hesitate to take it because of the commute.

I'm self employed and work at home, so 0. But I also have a part time job three days a week that takes me 12 minutes to get to.

I am 25 miles from work. It varies but on average in the morning it takes about 45 minutes. (that's if I leave at 6:00 am) and 60 in the evening. I leave at 4:30. If I left at 5:00 it would probably take 90 minutes. Coming up on 20 years with company in 2018 and the drive doesn't bother me at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter