How Important is Your Use Year

scheddj

Take that Tag Fairy - I made my own!!
I know what home resort I want and I know the use year I would prefer is August because I would go most often between September and March. I would almost never go between May and July, buuuut, there’s a small point contract at the resort I want but has a use year of February. How important is the use year really?

It sounds like you would be doing a lot of traveling past your banking window, so there is risk you could lose points if your plans change and you have to reschedule a trip.

Here is how I thought about it. We primarily travel Oct-May, and I chose an Aug UY. Even though travel in April or May is past my banking window, I know that I have a lot of flexibility with my schedule in June and July, so worst case scenario, I would still be able to re-book and use my points before they expired July 31st.

Something else to think about is that DVC contracts last a long time, and your traveling patterns may change dramatically over the years. What is the ideal UY right now may not be ideal in 10-15 years.

I know what home resort I want and I know the use year I would prefer is August because I would go most often between September and March. I would almost never go between May and July, buuuut, there’s a small point contract at the resort I want but has a use year of February. How important is the use year really?
Well, let’s say that you made a reservation for December using Feb UY points. Then, the unimaginable happens (which occurs more often than you might think) and you have to cancel that reservation. And you do it in early November. But hey, you did it before any holding penalty occurred so you’re okay, right?

Wrong!

You are now past your banking deadline for current UY points. Now those points must be used by Jan. 31 (a mere 3 months away). Not only that, but any points that were banked or borrowed into that UY also must be used by Jan. 31 or you lose them. Availability is sparse because of the holidays,Marathon weekend and MKL weekend. You have to piece together something that you can live with or rent those points out as distressed points.

If you regularly travel Sept.-March, then take your time and wait for the right contract to come up.

My Spring break was always in March, that’s our UY. As we aged, and retired, we especially like December, including NYE, and that’s a definite high point time. We take our chances. So, definitely what works now may not work in the future. Decide on your risk tolerance. Would you always be happy to buy the point insurance?

Yeah, that’s why I’ve wanted to stick with an August or September use year. I would even feel comfortable with June or October. February makes me nervous but I was kind of hoping you guys would say “Nah, use year doesn’t matter at all - go for it!” 😂. Thanks for talking some sense into me.

Yeah, that’s why I’ve wanted to stick with an August or September use year. I would even feel comfortable with June or October. February makes me nervous but I was kind of hoping you guys would say “Nah, use year doesn’t matter at all - go for it!” 😂. Thanks for talking some sense into me.

I just to add that before Covid, many people would say” but I never cancel or don’t plan to”

What never came up was that things could happen that cause the trip to be canceled, like a closed resort.

Now, I think people are realizing that while it could be rare, traveling late in your UY is even riskier than we thought and not everything thst happens will be in your control,

Best to be patient and wait it out for something just a little better!

Can you get trip insurance on DVC reservations, and if so how do you estimate the cost of the reservation?

Plans change. When I bought, we almost always travelled in May. Bought April UY. Kids grew up, marriage broke up...now I travel in the fall to February. Fortunately I've not had to change my plans and lose points (except for this year with COVID). I don't regret my UY. I know people get sick, vacation time sometimes doesn't get approved. I'm lucky to work in a company large enough that there isn't a lot of competition for vacation dates. How reliable are your vacation plans?

Can you get trip insurance on DVC reservations, and if so how do you estimate the cost of the reservation?
You can purchase from Travelex for $99 per UY. It only covers the dues on those points used for the reservation and if you used multiple UYs (banked or borrowed points) you have to purchase for those UYs too

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/how-to-book/travel-insurance/
Yes, travel insurance is available for DVC reservations for both owners using their membership and renters. However, most policies (even those that are "Cancel For Any Reason") DO NOT COVER pandemics or closures related to terrorism or "acts of god". If you can find a policy that does, it will almost certainly be very expensive (and negate the savings you get with renting DVC reservations).

If you are flexible I’d say any uy. We really didn’t care bc I plan our trips far in advance. That said if we planned a trip for dec and it didn’t happen then I’d either rent out the points cheap just to make the dues back or see about a last min Jan trip. We have feb uy bc it’s what was available at a good deal back when we purchased. I didn’t care what uy bc I knew we would be going different times and oct travel was most likely every other year. Good luck

You can purchase from Travelex for $99 per UY. It only covers the dues on those points used for the reservation and if you used multiple UYs (banked or borrowed points) you have to purchase for those UYs too.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/how-to-book/travel-insurance/
Yes, travel insurance is available for DVC reservations for both owners using their membership and renters. However, most policies (even those that are "Cancel For Any Reason") DO NOT COVER pandemics or closures related to terrorism or "acts of god". If you can find a policy that does, it will almost certainly be very expensive (and negate the savings you get with renting DVC reservations).

So it's a flat fee regardless of how many points used in your UY? Seems like it's worth it if you have 300+ UY points... not so great if you only have 100. Is you're travelling by air, and pre-purchased tickets, probably worth it. (not sure if tickets and/or meal plans would be covered though)

Reading the coverage terms, it does seem like it would cover most typical cases (weather delays/cancellations, health/accidents, job loss... even covers civil unrest). I'm thinking the probability of another pandemic like Covid is pretty low in the next 10-20 years, but who knows.

I just passed ROFR for a Feb UY (BLT) as a first time DVC buyer. With plans to do trips every 2-3 years.

Not having a specific time of year that we know we would go I just focused on price. Not surprising I ended up with Feb as that is the most common UY for BLT.

Over the last couple months (and while waiting for ROFR), I've been thinking how I'd like to stay at CCV over thanksgiving and considering (more like daydreaming) about an add-on there. If I got a CCV contract for the primary purpose of fall/thanksgiving trips, my Feb UY isn't great. Additionally, CVV Feb UY contracts aren't super common. I'd also rather not deal with multiple UY contracts.

So, at this point, I'm thinking I'll hold off on that idea. Maybe I'll buy transfer points from someone to try it out one year.

If you are flexible I’d say any uy. We really didn’t care bc I plan our trips far in advance. That said if we planned a trip for dec and it didn’t happen then I’d either rent out the points cheap just to make the dues back or see about a last min Jan trip. We have feb uy bc it’s what was available at a good deal back when we purchased. I didn’t care what uy bc I knew we would be going different times and oct travel was most likely every other year. Good luck

Just to be sure it’s clear,,,planning in advance doesn’t negate why trips are risky at the end of the UY.

Traveling in Dec with a Feb UY, even when booking 11 months out is very risky and an owner will either be forced to lose points, reschdule a month later, or rent points, which may not be easy to do with short notice in terms of what is available.

Now, as you mention, anyone who travels all different times can’t protect every trip unless you do what I did, bought a 2nd UY with enough points to book things differently.

When our son was young, we'd often go the day that school let out for the summer, usually the end of May and were home by June 10 when the number of points per stay when up. We have most of our points in a Sept contract and, while I never gave it a thought and never had a problems, we could have had problems if we needed to reschedule that trip. Our Sept UY is great since we like to go Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan.

Just to be sure it’s clear,,,planning in advance doesn’t negate why trips are risky at the end of the UY.

Traveling in Dec with a Feb UY, even when booking 11 months out is very risky and an owner will either be forced to lose points, reschdule a month later, or rent points, which may not be easy to do with short notice in terms of what is available.

Now, as you mention, anyone who travels all different times can’t protect every trip unless you do what I did, bought a 2nd UY with enough points to book things differently.
For us it works. Thankfully we are ok piecing a stay together and moving rooms each night if that’s what it takes to use points.

I have been looking for contracts with UY Aug, Sept, Oct cause I too like to travel either in Sept or Mar or both. It is hard to find a contract that works with that along with the points. I have looked at multiple resale sites. Does anyone have a favorite and should I love my UY to different months?

I have been looking for contracts with UY Aug, Sept, Oct cause I too like to travel either in Sept or Mar or both. It is hard to find a contract that works with that along with the points. I have looked at multiple resale sites. Does anyone have a favorite and should I love my UY to different months?
While I’m all bought in to a SEP UY, I’d recommend August. If you look at distribution of UY, August is more popular, so your chances of finding resale contracts you want is much better! You’ll probably often read posts of those of us with Sep and Oct UY lamenting availability of resale contracts. Plus, if you ever feel the need to walk a fall reservation, having an Aug UY gives you a leg up to start in August.

While I’m all bought in to a SEP UY, I’d recommend August. If you look at distribution of UY, August is more popular, so your chances of finding resale contracts you want is much better! You’ll probably often read posts of those of us with Sep and Oct UY lamenting availability of resale contracts. Plus, if you ever feel the need to walk a fall reservation, having an Aug UY gives you a leg up to start in August.
That's what I thought. Now it is just finding the right price for what I am looking for.

Is there a link to a thorough discussion of use year? Not sure why it can be confusing, but a chart or examples/scenarios would be great...UY for Dummies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter