How far do you stretch partaking in complimentary items?

So you're still not hungry today, huh? ;)

eta: that looks like a single order at a Hash House-a-Go-Go!
It could be because it's not an image of their office breakfast :rolleyes1

And it all looks disgusting to me. Nothing looks cooked well.

I'm trying to think, I don't think I have ever taken complimentary anything from anywhere other than hotel breakfast which I eat there and don't take things for later.

Usually at my work conferences, snacks and drinks are set out in the morning and afternoons for breaks. I always grab a little something at each one and I usually eat it right then. At the end of the day, I might grab one bottle of water to take with me to have in the car or to take up to my room if staying at the hotel. Now....I have seen some of my co-workers grab 2-3 bottles of water or soda's at each break (and snacks as well, depending on what is being servied) and take them with them when they leave (I personally find that to be excessive and rude). Also, if we have an evening reception, I will usually get one small plate of food and leave it at that. I don't treat it as an all you can eat buffet, but I have seen some people go back multiple times and make a regular meal out of it.

I will take free samples from Costco's if there is something that I'm interested in. I figure someone is out there fixing it and they want people to eat it. But again, its one sample and then I'm on my way.

I eat what I want at complimentary breakfast until I am full. It may be complimentary, but really you are paying for it when you book the room. I don't usually take food back to the room with me. If I do, it may just be an apple or banana that we can have later. I usually do fill up my coffee before we head up to the room.

Edited to add- and I must be missing out on something- whenever I take my car in for service (at any place in town) all I've ever had offered is coffee that looks about a week old. Maybe a stale box of donuts sitting out. Wow..some of you guys are living it up, lol.

Last edited:
It cost thousands to attend a conference. I grab handfuls of things that I like, tea bags, sodas, fruit, anything I can stuff in those backpacks they give attendees. Same thing staying at these high end hotels like the Gaylord. I load up on soap, shampoo. I just ask housekeeping and they are happy to give it to you.

Not proud of it, but I'm pretty shameless. I think I must have lived through a period of great want in another life.

But I'm not one of those people who takes the whole platter of hors' d' oeuvres from the club lounge.

Guest: Can I bring anything?
Me: Bring what you guys want to drink.
Guest shows up empty handed: Oh we’ll just drink water! *drinks most of DH’s beer, most of my Diet Dr Pepper and the kids Gatorade and juice bags*
Me: It was great to see you, have a good night!
Guest: You too! *grabs my last soda while their kids grab the last of my kids juice bags*
Me: o_O

lol! I’ve had something similar happen to me! My sister’s family came for Thanksgiving one year. Her DH was laid off at the time. I fixed a BIG meal ( thinking that would save them $$). Told sis to take some leftovers home. They took most of it, which was fine ‘cause we can only so much of it before we get tired of it. Talked to her the following week and found out that she cooked a big Thanksgiving dinner later that weekend! Apparently her dh didn’t get enough leftovers from our house! Well, okay then?!

My adult nephew came to visit us while on a break from work and drank 9 sodas in one day! Then,when he went to leave, he pulled out one of those gargantuan 64oz travel mugs and expected to fill that with soda! I told him no way! Go buy your own 2ltr!

I was at a seminar the other day and I noticed a habit I do of eating lunch and then taking a drink to go (bottle of water, can of soda) and I do that when I get my car serviced too. Hot chocolate and a bagel and then grab a drink to go.

This doesn't strike me as unreasonable.

Usually at my work conferences, snacks and drinks are set out in the morning and afternoons for breaks. I always grab a little something at each one and I usually eat it right then. At the end of the day, I might grab one bottle of water to take with me to have in the car or to take up to my room if staying at the hotel. Now....I have seen some of my co-workers grab 2-3 bottles of water or soda's at each break (and snacks as well, depending on what is being servied) and take them with them when they leave (I personally find that to be excessive and rude). Also, if we have an evening reception, I will usually get one small plate of food and leave it at that. I don't treat it as an all you can eat buffet, but I have seen some people go back multiple times and make a regular meal out of it.

I will take free samples from Costco's if there is something that I'm interested in. I figure someone is out there fixing it and they want people to eat it. But again, its one sample and then I'm on my way.

I eat what I want at complimentary breakfast until I am full. It may be complimentary, but really you are paying for it when you book the room. I don't usually take food back to the room with me. If I do, it may just be an apple or banana that we can have later. I usually do fill up my coffee before we head up to the room.

Edited to add- and I must be missing out on something- whenever I take my car in for service (at any place in town) all I've ever had offered is coffee that looks about a week old. Maybe a stale box of donuts sitting out. Wow..some of you guys are living it up, lol.
If the event is being held over a meal time, it's not out of line in any way for people to "make a meal out of it" even if it takes more than 1 plateful. Cocktail receptions are like that and just because it's not a plated dinner doesn't mean the hosts expect people to go away hungry.

If the event is being held over a meal time, it's not out of line in any way for people to "make a meal out of it" even if it takes more than 1 plateful. Cocktail receptions are like that and just because it's not a plated dinner doesn't mean the hosts expect people to go away hungry.

Very true. At this particular event though it is truly a social hour held before dinner. Ive seen them only serve cheese and crackers before. Not a dinner replacement.

Very true. At this particular event though it is truly a social hour held before dinner. Ive seen them only serve cheese and crackers before. Not a dinner replacement.
I guess I’ve never known of a cocktail hour not being served in conjunction with a dinner, but I think I can imagine what you mean. It does sound like something that would lend itself to the problem you mention though if people are coming in hungry and food is available, they’re likely to eat their fill. :mickeybar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter