How does the AP discount work?

tinkarooni

<font color=teal>Gets way too excited about saving
I am considering purchasing an AP pass if it will get me significant discount on our deluxe hotel package. have never bothered with an AP before, so I'm not sure how the discounts will logistically work.

Can I wait and see if there are discounts released for AP holders and purchase the AP ticket that day and then get the AP discount applied? We are looking to travel in June 2017 and found the RO discounts to be quite a let down so far.

Thanks for any help!

Short answer yes. Long answer, don't get an AP if the only reason you are getting it is discounts. They are not a guarantee and I've found it hit and miss as to whether the room discounts are better than the general public discounts. My advice is always do the math. Look at the your ticket prices for the total amount of time you plan on being at WDW during the year, add memory maker if you normally purchase that and compare. Keep in mind the AP is a park hopper so when looking at ticket prices compare apples to apples. If you don't plan on hopping, look at the price of non-hopping tickets, if you do plan on hopping look at that price. I go twice a year for at least 7 days each trip and always park hop so the AP is a better price for me but I always compare every year before I renew.

Several layers to your question, some of which are complicated. ;-)

You say "package" - is that really what you have booked?

To my knowledge, anyone can book a room only AP discount but you need to actually be an AP when you check in to receive the discount. You have to call to make a reservation with an AP discount if you are not a current AP holder. Frankly I've never understood why this is possible but I see people post this all the time.

From personal experience and as PP says, the availability of an AP room discount for any given Resort, room type, view category, etc - while often available - is not a given. "Usually" the AP discount will be a bit better than the general public offer (eg, 5-10%) but that is not always the case. Very much depends on the time of year, resort, room type, special events, how badly Disney thinks they need to entice us to book, etc. Lots of variables.

You may know this but in case you don't, the AP discounts are not out for June yet.

Several layers to your question, some of which are complicated. ;-)

You say "package" - is that really what you have booked?

To my knowledge, anyone can book a room only AP discount but you need to actually be an AP when you check in to receive the discount. You have to call to make a reservation with an AP discount if you are not a current AP holder. Frankly I've never understood why this is possible but I see people post this all the time.

From personal experience and as PP says, the availability of an AP room discount for any given Resort, room type, view category, etc - while often available - is not a given. "Usually" the AP discount will be a bit better than the general public offer (eg, 5-10%) but that is not always the case. Very much depends on the time of year, resort, room type, special events, how badly Disney thinks they need to entice us to book, etc. Lots of variables.

You may know this but in case you don't, the AP discounts are not out for June yet.

Thank you. This is what I was trying to find out. Usually I would use book a Disney visa discount or a general public discount, but that doesn't seem to be available now for the room we have. I do have a package booked, but I'll switch things around as need be.

I am waiting to see if an AP discount becomes available and that is why I am researching the possibility. Thanks for your help!

I assume you know the current promotion only goes through 6/10... just FYI. Since I'm trying to book something for late June I'm painfully aware of the current dates! Lol.

Can't say I've been in your exact situation but here's what I 'think' you'll need to do when/if you find an AP rate you like:

1) Drop the package
2) Book a room only reservation using the AP discount
3) Buy your AP

I'm sure someone can correct me if there's anything else you need to be thinking about.

BTW, on a somewhat related note... APs can be addicting. We're just into our second year with them and any money I thought I was going to save on park tickets quickly turned into more trips last year! Not complaining though!

Last edited:
I assume you know the current promotion only goes through 6/10... just FYI. Since I'm trying to book something for late June I'm painfully aware of the current dates! Lol.

Can't say I've been in your exact situation but here's what I 'think' you'll need to do when/if you find an AP rate you like:

1) Drop the package
2) Book a room only reservation using the AP discount
3) Buy your AP

I'm sure someone can correct me if there's anything else you need to be thinking about.

BTW, on a somewhat related note... APs can be addicting. We're just into our second year with them and any money I thought was going to save on park tickets quickly turned into more trips last year! No complaining though!

So true about the addiction. I've had one for a few years but on our trip last week we upgraded my sons PHs to an AP since we knew we would be back for spring break. After he had his card in had he smiled and said, and now we can go back for a quick Thanksgiving trip too. Of course, he doesn't take into account the cost of the hotel, which Mom always pays because he's a poor college kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter