How does Peapod Delivery work?

disneyofcourse

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to find a way to send groceries to a needy family. (I personally know them-so its not someone scamming me) Can I pay ahead of time with a credit card online. Are they expecting a tip when they deliver? Does the person need to be home? How do they package things? How's the quality of items they send? Fruits...veggies...meats

Thanks!!

I'm trying to find a way to send groceries to a needy family. (I personally know them-so its not someone scamming me) Can I pay ahead of time with a credit card online. Are they expecting a tip when they deliver? Does the person need to be home? How do they package things? How's the quality of items they send? Fruits...veggies...meats

Thanks!!

I order from them every two weeks.

You can pay with a credit card.

I usually tip. They do not "expect" one per se.

Yes. A person absolutely MUST be home. They will not leave the groceries.

They come in the regular ol' plastic bags but like items are packed together. For example, all of your frozen stuff is bagged together, as are meats and produce.

I love the quality they send. It comes from a warehouse and not the store so it cuts out the middle man so to speak.

If you are not sure someone will be home; you may want to check out Omaha Steaks. Just a suggestion.

Very nice of you.

Yes. A person absolutely MUST be home. They will not leave the groceries.

Our Peapod will leave groceries if you don't have alcohol in your order - they call it an "Unattended Order" and it is one of the selections on the Delivery Schedule page. They boxes are packed with dry ice and ice packs. The next delivery, you leave the empty boxes from the last one on your porch and they take those away.

I usually leave a $5 tip out there but you aren't required to tip. I've never been able to figure out exactly what is expected for the tip. Since our order is usually pretty big, 20% seems way too much.

edit to add: As for their quality it is the same grocery corp that owns Giant Foods etc. It is pretty much what you'd see in the stores. Many of their heat and serve prepared items are Market Day.

I 2nd the "unattended delivery" comment. You do NOT need to be home to receive the delivery.

You can charge it to a credit card, however your card does not get charged until they deliver. This is in case items are not available, some items that are by weight can't be calculated until your purchase is bagged up, etc. But I have my credit card on file and they just charge it on delivery day.

I have had one issue with quality with a date too close for my liking, I called, they apologized, credited my credit card and said they would replace the product and asked if it would be ok if they sent the replacement the next time they would be in my neighborhood a couple of days later.

My only complaint is selection...while there is plenty to chose from they may not always have exactly what you want. For instance, we eat Stonyfield yogurt. We like lemon and chocolate flavors which they never have on Peapod, they only carry the "common" flavors like vanilla, strawberry, etc.

I think it might depend on the area. I am on Long Island, New York and someone must be home for delivery. We order every other week. Like getting the big items like cases of water delivered.

They also have promotions. 90 days of free delivery (usually $6.95 here). $1.00 off each order if you pay by direct check. Every little bit helps.

When I lived in Rhode Island for 8 months, we used Peapod all the time. It was delivered by Stop N Shop while we were there. I use unattended delivery nearly every time. I sure miss that service too bad someone won't do it down here in Georgia.

Yep here in WI you do not need to be home to recieve the order but you do have to let them know and they pack it in coolers that have to be returned. They also take coupons. I don't like their meat but their produce is good just overpriced. I only order when I absolutley have no time to shop.
You can pay by credit card. Also if this is your first time you can probably get a discount code. Try looking on retailmenot. There are coupons for $10-15 off your first order.
They charge a delivery fee but a tip is optional. I can't remember if you add it to your order or not. I know with Garden Grocer you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter