How does guaranteed cabins work?

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

Me and my two best friends just booked a "Girl cruise" for 2020.

We know we're not going to spend time in the cabin so we booked a "guaranteed inside" cabin.

Do you know how it works and when we'll get to know our assignment?

Thanks in advance!

Could be any time. Unfortunately it's not an exact timing. You probably won't get an email notification, you will just see you now have a cabin number when you log in to RCL and look at your cruise.

One thing to keep in mind, once you have the cabin assigned, if you hate the location, you can call and get moved to a cabin the same class. I did this for a balcony cabin on my last RCL cruise, we were given one near the front of the ship and prefer to be closer to the back, so I called and was able to switch really easily.

I've booked guaranteed twice with RCL, first time the cruise was only 6 weeks away and I got the cabin number with about 2 weeks to go. Last time I booked in August for a December cruise and got it within a week.

Could be any time. Unfortunately it's not an exact timing. You probably won't get an email notification, you will just see you now have a cabin number when you log in to RCL and look at your cruise.

One thing to keep in mind, once you have the cabin assigned, if you hate the location, you can call and get moved to a cabin the same class. I did this for a balcony cabin on my last RCL cruise, we were given one near the front of the ship and prefer to be closer to the back, so I called and was able to switch really easily.

I've booked guaranteed twice with RCL, first time the cruise was only 6 weeks away and I got the cabin number with about 2 weeks to go. Last time I booked in August for a December cruise and got it within a week.

Oh interesting. I will watch.

Since we are going to be 3 adults, I wonder what kind of cabin they'll put us in. I'm expecting upper/lower or something like that?

Oh interesting. I will watch.

Since we are going to be 3 adults, I wonder what kind of cabin they'll put us in. I'm expecting upper/lower or something like that?

Most likely, depending on the ship, a room that sleeps 3 will have twin beds, and a sofa bed.

We also booked guarantee twice (same ship) and it worked well for us.

We first booked interior room about 6 months prior to the sail date. A few weeks later we were assigned an interior at the front of the ship. As with hdrolfe , I called in and was able to move us to a better location in aft (but more central overall).

Then close to final payment, they offered a guarantee balcony for not much more than our current booking so I switched to it. We got lucky with this as a few weeks later they assigned us a spacious balcony (so not even the 'lowest' category balcony). It faced aft and I wasn't sure we'd like that so I called and moved us more central to another spacious balcony . This was right after final payment (and I noticed that they assigned a whole bunch at once as I had checked availability on the UK website beforehand so I knew what I wanted to jump at once assigned).

Good luck. Sign into cruise planner regularly to see when they assign your room.

I'm researching for our first cruise and know hardly anything about it so curious. Why do you prefer to be at the back of the ship? TIA

I'm researching for our first cruise and know hardly anything about it so curious. Why do you prefer to be at the back of the ship? TIA
It depends on the ship. On Freedom of the Seas all the kid stuff, buffet are at the back. The front has the Solarium adult only places. So since I travel with my son it was more convenient. The back or middle also tend to feel less motion and I can get a bit sea sick. Our next cruise is booked for Carnival Magic and we will be closer to the front because of the deck we wanted. And their water slides are at the front so easy to get to.

It depends on the ship. On Freedom of the Seas all the kid stuff, buffet are at the back. The front has the Solarium adult only places. So since I travel with my son it was more convenient. The back or middle also tend to feel less motion and I can get a bit sea sick. Our next cruise is booked for Carnival Magic and we will be closer to the front because of the deck we wanted. And their water slides are at the front so easy to get to.
Thank you for the info DH tends to get motion sick so I'm looking for the best locations for him.

I like the back of the ship because I find it more quiet (less people in the Hallways).

Thank you for the info DH tends to get motion sick so I'm looking for the best locations for him.

Middle to back and lower on the ship tends to be better. But with most modern ships I'd say it shouldn't be bad either way. Lower is better though if it's a problem. Also, I get seasick and use a combination of seabands and ginger, with occasional other meds at night if it's really bad. My son gets sick on flights, spinning tire swings and has no issues at all on boats. It is really annoying, I'll be swaying and asking if he can feel that, and he's looking at me like I have two heads and can't tell the ship is underway. So unless you know it's seasick motion sickness, he could be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!