How does Fauci's longer-term vision affect the future of cruising?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jane01jp

DIS Veteran
Based on the below quote from Dr. Fauci, eliminating COVID seems like window dressing for the "heavy lifting" that he thinks needs to be done to get on a better footing.

Given that, what do you think are the intermediate impacts to the cruise industry?

Living in greater harmony with nature will require changes in human behavior as well as other radical changes that may take decades to achieve: rebuilding the infrastructures of human existence, from cities to homes to workplaces, to water and sewer systems, to recreational and gatherings venues. In such a transformation we will need to prioritize changes in those human behaviors that constitute risks for the emergence of infectious diseases. Chief among them are reducing crowding at home, work, and in public places as well as minimizing environmental perturbations such as deforestation, intense urbanization, and intensive animal farming. Equally important are ending global poverty, improving sanitation and hygiene, and reducing unsafe exposure to animals, so that humans and potential human pathogens have limited opportunities for contact.

I think focusing on "the science" is interesting. I think focusing on "the scientist" is essential.

Based on the below quote from Dr. Fauci, eliminating COVID seems like window dressing for the "heavy lifting" that he thinks needs to be done to get on a better footing.

Given that, what do you think are the intermediate impacts to the cruise industry?

Living in greater harmony with nature will require changes in human behavior as well as other radical changes that may take decades to achieve: rebuilding the infrastructures of human existence, from cities to homes to workplaces, to water and sewer systems, to recreational and gatherings venues. In such a transformation we will need to prioritize changes in those human behaviors that constitute risks for the emergence of infectious diseases. Chief among them are reducing crowding at home, work, and in public places as well as minimizing environmental perturbations such as deforestation, intense urbanization, and intensive animal farming. Equally important are ending global poverty, improving sanitation and hygiene, and reducing unsafe exposure to animals, so that humans and potential human pathogens have limited opportunities for contact.
Well, I think the idea of reducing "crowding at home, work, and in public places as well as minimizing environmental perturbations such as deforestation, intense urbanization, and intensive animal farming" are laudable but likely in conflict with each other. If you reduce crowding at home, you need more (affordable) homes, which means encroaching on nature.

So, I propose, that maybe more people will live on cruise ships. Instead of encroaching on land for the extra space, we will begin to live on the sea, some on ships that will leisurely sail and others on static, off-shore facilities.

Well, I think the idea of reducing "crowding at home, work, and in public places as well as minimizing environmental perturbations such as deforestation, intense urbanization, and intensive animal farming" are laudable but likely in conflict with each other. If you reduce crowding at home, you need more (affordable) homes, which means encroaching on nature.

So, I propose, that maybe more people will live on cruise ships. Instead of encroaching on land for the extra space, we will begin to live on the sea, some on ships that will leisurely sail and others on static, off-shore facilities.
What a great idea!

Another alternative to reduce crowding is fewer people.

I am happy most venues, locations, and such were over packed 12 months ago.

Originally no limit, then a fire code limit, now a Covid limit.

Prices will go up, crowds go down, and life will go on.

If you reduce crowding at home, you need more (affordable) homes, which means encroaching on nature.

Not having 5+ kids. I could see that helping as well reducing crowding.

Another option building upwards.

Another option more optimized living space.

Another option more integrated nature in to the homes.

Another option more synchronization of work hours where not everyone starts and ends at the same time.

We are until we're not.

Nope again talking about personal responsibility. You can go off on some tangent if you want and compare China to the US but I am not following you there.

My spouse was a fifth child. Glad that personal responsibility was still personal.

In a world drastically different 20/30/40/50 years ago. Plenty of things have changed since then.

There are lots of people that think they should get to decide how everyone else lives.

Any law, regulation, requirement, or any other possible infringement on a complete and utter self freedom is what you are asking for it seems.

Thing is we are in a society. In addition our society in the US actually was formed with laws and requirements out of the gate supporting a mutually shared interest not a personal singular interest.

Again though personal responsibility.

Nope again talking about personal responsibility. You can go off on some tangent if you want and compare China to the US but I am not following you there.

In a world drastically different 20/30/40/50 years ago. Plenty of things have changed since then.

Any law, regulation, requirement, or any other possible infringement on a complete and utter self freedom is what you are asking for it seems.

Thing is we are in a society. In addition our society in the US actually was formed with laws and requirements out of the gate supporting a mutually shared interest not a personal singular interest.

Again though personal responsibility.
If someone today wants to have a lot of children, it is not "irresponsible." Lots of things have changed in the last 20/30/40/50 years, but in my opinion, that isn't one of them. Each child born into this world, irrespective of their birth order, has as much right to be here as everyone else.

Your statement that it seems I am asking for complete and utter self freedom from any law, regulation, requirement, or any other possible infringement on a complete and utter self freedom isn't accurate. You will not find anywhere that I have said that,

The original question, though, was about the impact of Fauci's vision on the cruise industry.

This thread has the potential to get out of hand fast. It's already venturing off topic. To prevent it from going toff the rails I'll say it now, ***OFF TOPIC POSTS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED*** .

Please keep your comments to the question at hand as to how this statement might affect future cruising. Anything further off topic will be deleted. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!