how do you transport your golf cart

mrsgus06 said:

Yep, still around a little but mostly packing up the camper. 13 days to go and I am out of here for 8 weeks! I can't stress enough that you need to secure the metal ramps to the truck before you try to unload the cart! I would ask my parent's how they secure theirs, but they are upstate until Monday. I know my dad lurks on the boards so maybe he can answer this if he ever comes across it.
Hi Mrsgus06, don't know if you remember your neighbor from across the street over July 4th week end with the lime green Mickey Head. We just bought a golf cart and trying to figure out how to transport it with our travel trailer in tow and came across your post. Hope things continue to go well for you in WDW and back at home.

Good luck with the reno and have a nice July. Tom

Does anybody transport a golf cart using a short bed pick up with a travel trailer in tow? Our Airstream can't handle an add on to the rear bumper or one of the units that attaches to the rear bumper with two wheels either. Nothing can be added to the rear bumper.

The problem is the golf cart is a few inches longer than the bed of the truck. I am looking at getting a rear seat with a removable foot rest that inserts into a receiver hitch mounted to the frame of the golf cart...they are chrome and look nice.

I thought about lifting the rear of the golf cart enough to get the tail gate raised to a 45 degree angle or maybe even getting it closed. I don't know if just jacking it up and putting the rear wheels on automotive jack stands would suffice. I also thought of having a hydrolic lift made that would raise the rear of the cart up to enough of an angle to get the tail gate closed but that would be expensive.

Anyone come up creative ideas that could be used in this type of situation?

Minnie's Mate said:
Does anybody transport a golf cart using a short bed pick up with a travel trailer in tow? Our Airstream can't handle an add on to the rear bumper or one of the units that attaches to the rear bumper with two wheels either. Nothing can be added to the rear bumper.

We put the golf cart in the back of our Dodge and pull a 28 ft TT. My husband takes the gate off and actually ties it down with tie down straps. He bought ramps from a tractor supply store and we drive it on up and down. Actually my 10 year old does it and gets a kick out of it. It seems to work well, we haen't had any problems with it yet. :thumbsup2

OOh, I'm glad I revisited this thread, I had NO idea that you could pull a trailer if you were pulling a 5th wheel, I assumed that the law pertained to ALL campers, bumper hitch or 5th wheel hitch. Now THAT'S good news!

pjadtl said:
We put the golf cart in the back of our Dodge and pull a 28 ft TT. My husband takes the gate off and actually ties it down with tie down straps. He bought ramps from a tractor supply store and we drive it on up and down. Actually my 10 year old does it and gets a kick out of it. It seems to work well, we haen't had any problems with it yet. :thumbsup2
My golf cart dealer suggested taking the tailgate off too, but the darned thing ways a ton just to close! :sad2: The part of the golf cart from the rear of edge of the tires to the back of the bumper is the part that hangs over. I tried to figure a way to close the tailgate last night and I think if I could figure a way to secure the tailgate partially closed I would have enough clearance for everything except the tightest turns for backing into the campsites. I could off load the cart at the unhitch location before going to the site and my wife could follow from there. I'll have to work with it this week end and see what I can come up with.

BTW, pjadt, does your husband have to adjust the hitch setup? We have a 30' trailer and I specified the next size up hitch to handle a golf cart's extra weight when I bought the trailer. I talked to the manufacturer and they said I would either need to add a washer to the hitch or move the L-brackets up a notch (the equivalent of moving up a link in the chains on other brands) to compensate for the additional weight in the bed of the truck.

Ok- now you're getting technical... :confused3
I will have to ask him on that one and get back with you but I don't think so. I'll let you know.

Before we got our class A this year, we towed our TT and put the golf cart on the back of the Tundra. We used ATV ramps and put wood inserts in with sanded grooves in them to help with traction. It didn't work so hot in wet weather, so we went to two vehicles and bought a small 5X8 trailer from Lowe's to tow the cart with. The hauling of the cart on and off the Tundra was a trial because of the angle. We did leave the tailgate on because of the weight. (I thought I saw that mentioned earlier by someone else.) I know two vehicles might not be the most economical way to go, but it sure is the least of worries and headaches to me. This year when we went in the class A, we took our Navigator and put the trailer on the back of that. I just like having a car to go around the property. It is faster.

AuburnJen92 said:
Before we got our class A this year, we towed our TT and put the golf cart on the back of the Tundra. We used ATV ramps and put wood inserts in with sanded grooves in them to help with traction. It didn't work so hot in wet weather, so we went to two vehicles and bought a small 5X8 trailer from Lowe's to tow the cart with. The hauling of the cart on and off the Tundra was a trial because of the angle. We did leave the tailgate on because of the weight. (I thought I saw that mentioned earlier by someone else.) I know two vehicles might not be the most economical way to go, but it sure is the least of worries and headaches to me. This year when we went in the class A, we took our Navigator and put the trailer on the back of that. I just like having a car to go around the property. It is faster.
War Eagle!! AuburnJen92. I'm class of '85 and live in metro-Atlanta. Two vehicles would be too much for that distance and besides my wife would never be able to handle towing even a small trailer...don't ask.

I guess I am spoilied because I only live 2 hrs away. For a long trip, I suggest the cart in the back of the truck way.

We just bought a 5th wheel toy hauler for our golf cart and our two big dogs. Triple towing is not legal in all states so that was out -- and I'm not sure how safe I would feel anyway. Couldn't use the bed of the truck as we had a 5th wheel.

The toy hauler is so nice and it's perfect for this. It's about 40' long with a 10' enclosed garage area that is completely separated from the living area of the camper.

We haven't had our golf cart more than a week, so I tried an experiment over the weekend. I loaded the cart in the back of the truck, set the brake, and raised the tailgate enough that I could hook the cable that supports the tailgate over the post that the tailgate latches to (they are on the side near the top of the opening kind of like the door latches to) and it held the tailgate up at enough of an angle to clear the gas tanks except when backing at a tight turn, I think.

This makes me feel better that it won't accidently roll out the back of the truck and that the tailgate should clear the tanks in normal turns. I'll be picking up the Airstream this week end after having some bodywork done (see why I'm paranoid about clearance in turns, btw, this $9,700 damage was by a deer :sad2: ) and I'll put the cart in the truck and hook up the Airstream to see how much clearance there will be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter