How do you say hello?

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
Do you hug them? Shake them by the hand? If so, do you have a limp handshake or a manly handshake? Do you go French and kiss them twice? Four times? If so, do you go right or left? IT'S A CONUNDRUM PEOPLE!

Say Hello to who? It really makes a difference. Professionally, if I'm being introduced for the first time, I'll extend my hand to shake. If someone else is being introduced to me, I'll wait and expect them to do it but will offer mine if they seem hesitant. If it's a collegue I've met before, we usually forgo handshakes and just go with "Hello/Hi; nice to see you again".

Personally, again it really depends who it is. Is it someone I already know? It could be anything from a "Hey" to a full-on bear hug. Being introduced to a new person very informally, I would not expect to be shaking hands and would not automatically offer, but would accept a hand if it were extended.

As to your other point - there is little more off-putting than a limp handshake. :sad2: For Pete's sake, parents - teach your girls and boys how to shake a hand. If you're an adult and lack this skill, find someone to tutor you - quick!!

Family and friends get a hug if it’s been a while since we were last together. If it’s family or friends I see frequently there’s no formal greeting most of the time, just a quick “Hey, how are you?” and we just go on with our visit.

For strangers or in a professional setting, it’s usually a firm handshake the first time we meet, and a simple Hello thereafter.

Two sided kiss, we all do it so it’s not awkward. This is a social setting, even if it’s a first time meeting.
Of course not for business, that is a handshake.

Two sided kiss, we all do it so it’s not awkward. This is a social setting, even if it’s a first time meeting.
Of course not for business, that is a handshake.
:eek: Do you mean when I visit Quebec I'll be expected to kiss strangers?!? I'm fainting...:faint: All you non-touchers will be better off visiting Alberta, where a tip of the hat and a "Howdy" is as intimate as it needs to get. ;)

I agree depends on who it is and the specific circumstances. Meeting a stranger for the first-time, hello & a handshake seems reasonable. Hugging a stranger isn't something you would expect and seems a bit awkward. In a business/professional setting, certainly a handshake is appropriate while hugging someone is not. Hugging someone like your doctor or dentist or car salesman just seem inappropriate. Maybe kissing is expected/appropriate in some countries, but here in the US I have NEVER seen anyone do that the first time meeting a stranger.

If attending something like a funeral, then perhaps hugging a relative of the deceased would be more in line with what is the norm.

:eek: Do you mean when I visit Quebec I'll be expected to kiss strangers?!? I'm fainting...:faint: All you non-touchers will be better off visiting Alberta, where a tip of the hat and a "Howdy" is as intimate as it needs to get. ;)

No, not quite how I meant it to be lol, not in the streets, or if you aren’t comfortable. But we had guests over for dinner/drinks last night, afterward we were all outside on the deck and one said do you mind if my daughter passes by with her boyfriend they are in the area. Sure, no problem. They pass by, meet the new boyfriend, a kiss on each cheek.
Honestly, I think it’s done without thinking.
I don’t mind the hat though 🤠
https://www.vergemagazine.com/work-abroad/blogs/1180-european-cheek-kissing-culture.html

Last edited:
Say Hello to who? It really makes a difference. Professionally, if I'm being introduced for the first time, I'll extend my hand to shake. If someone else is being introduced to me, I'll wait and expect them to do it but will offer mine if they seem hesitant. If it's a collegue I've met before, we usually forgo handshakes and just go with "Hello/Hi; nice to see you again".

Personally, again it really depends who it is. Is it someone I already know? It could be anything from a "Hey" to a full-on bear hug. Being introduced to a new person very informally, I would not expect to be shaking hands and would not automatically offer, but would accept a hand if it were extended.

As to your other point - there is little more off-putting than a limp handshake. :sad2: For Pete's sake, parents - teach your girls and boys how to shake a hand. If you're an adult and lack this skill, find someone to tutor you - quick!!
People shake hands since covid? I thought that was a custom we got rid of.

No, not quite how I meant it to be lol, not in the streets, or if you aren’t comfortable. But we had guests over for dinner/drinks last night, afterward we were all outside on the deck and one said do you mind if my daughter passes by with her boyfriend they are in the area. Sure, no problem. They pass by, meet the new boyfriend, a kiss on each cheek.
Honestly, I think it’s done without thinking.
I don’t mind the hat though 🤠
https://www.vergemagazine.com/work-abroad/blogs/1180-european-cheek-kissing-culture.html
I totally get what you mean. When I was married to my ex, who's Moroccan, before my first trip to meet his family he told me that they would kiss me twice on each cheek and hug me. I looked at him like he had two heads because the only person in my family who ever did anything like that was my grandmother. I didn't exactly come from a show-the-affectiongroup.

Fast forward to the arrival day, sure enough, that's exactly what happened and apparently I had a look of shock on my face because he had to explain to them my expression.

During covid it seemed like the 'fist bump' replaced the handshake, which at the time made sense. Now that covid is behind us, I think most people are back to shaking hands as the preferred method of greeting. I do laugh as some who talk about a 'firm' handshake like it is some sort of contest to see who is stronger..............LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter