How do you know what constitutes a dessert on the Quick Dining Plan?

khaleesi

Life is a Special Occasion
I've been browsing menus, and I'm stumped. I can see that all of the snack options have the little symbol next to them, but which of those items are considered desserts?

For example, if I'm at Kringla Bakeri and I want to order the Norwegian Club sandwich for lunch... would I then get to pick any of the pastry options as a dessert? For example, the school bread that I've heard so much about. Or is there a separate "dessert" menu that I would pick from?

Sorry if that's a stupid question! Been to Disney many times, but this is the first time I'm going with a dining plan.

I've wondered the same thing, and I've even searched this forum (the DDP sub-forum) for all threads that have "dessert" in the title to get a better idea of what is considered a "dessert" item.

The conclusion I've come to is that nobody is quite sure how to know for sure what counts and what doesn't. At some places it's easy - many QS places only have a couple desserts (a piece of cake, a cookie).

Other places, however, have extensive dessert-type items. The consensus seems to be that almost anything that qualifies as a snack credit can be ordered as a dessert item. As for Kringla, I believe I've seen people get Troll Horns and other pastries as the dessert item of their QS meal.

And at the resorts, often times an ice cream sundae or milkshake counts as the dessert item.

I guess the easiest thing to do is to ask the CM when you're ordering to be sure.

Good question!! I'd like to know the answer too- because Kringala has some great desert options ha!

Most of the CS have their own little dessert options, the last time I went they let me get a bottle of water if I didn't want a dessert - mind you this was two years ago, I'm hoping that they still do this :) I don't really like a lot of the dessert offerings they have at the CS restaurants - I am diabetic and if I'm going to cheat I want to enjoy it lol :)

At Kringla you can choose any of the pastries as your dessert. Les Halles seems to be the same.

At some CS places it's easy because there are only 2 or 3 options. It's the ones that have numerous choices that are hard so we usually just ask what's included. More often than not it's been pretty much every dessert, but you never know. One place that has a limitation is Cooke's of Dublin in DTD, but there's a sign indicating what you can choose for dessert.

At the resort food courts we've also found that if you want an ice cream dessert, you tell the cashier (because you have to choose the dessert at the same time as the rest of your meal) and they will stamp your receipt and you'll have about an hour to come back for it.

Wonderful!! Thanks a bunch :)

Nobody seems to understand why I'm trying to figure out what I want to eat for lunch in seven months. LOL.

At Kringla you can choose any of the pastries as your dessert. Les Halles seems to be the same.

At some CS places it's easy because there are only 2 or 3 options. It's the ones that have numerous choices that are hard so we usually just ask what's included. More often than not it's been pretty much every dessert, but you never know. One place that has a limitation is Cooke's of Dublin in DTD, but there's a sign indicating what you can choose for dessert.

At the resort food courts we've also found that if you want an ice cream dessert, you tell the cashier (because you have to choose the dessert at the same time as the rest of your meal) and they will stamp your receipt and you'll have about an hour to come back for it.

Thank you for explaining!

I was just about to post about this too. I've got my snack credits list all together, but the dessert option with counter-service meals has me confused.

I was trying to get a general idea of our QS meals at Sunshine Seasons and in Morocco, and their dessert options seem endless and/or can change daily. I'm wondering if any of them are off-limits as part of the QS meal as desserts?! Ugh! I know I could just ask when we get there, but I'd rather know ahead of time.

A couple of years ago, I was told by a CM at a CS location that if it was a snack credit, it was also a dessert option. So basically we could choose anything with the snack credit symbol next to it as our dessert. Not sure if this is still true (or since it came from a CM, if it was ever true...)

It doesn't necessarily be something sweet then? So you could possibly get a bag of chips or a pretzel (or a bottle of water, as a pp said)?

It doesn't necessarily be something sweet then? So you could possibly get a bag of chips or a pretzel (or a bottle of water, as a pp said)?

Shouldn't be a problem...as long as they sell those things there. Some of the CS places are very limited, but you should be able to get a bottled water instead almost everywhere.

Bag of chips, not likely. They do have sweet pretzels at Kringla and I often take one of these as my dessert but they aren't going to let you sub dessert for anything that is or might be considered a 'side' item, and I think chips would fall into this category.

The bottle of water in place of dessert is often allowed. I think I have only had one experience where it was denied (case of cast member rather than location) and I accepted that as they aren't obligated to let me trade anything.

There are a couple of places where they wont' let you trade anything for anything, one of which is Tangierine Cafe (Dessert is baklava or nothing) and I forget the other one.

Hmmmm...good point about a side item. If they sell it as a snack option, though, they should include it as a dessert. I'm sure it's left to the CM's discretion, so what works at one may not work at another.

How many times have we been told yes by one CM then gone to do the same thing elsewhere only to be told no?

Hmmmm...good point about a side item. If they sell it as a snack option, though, they should include it as a dessert. I'm sure it's left to the CM's discretion, so what works at one may not work at another.

How many times have we been told yes by one CM then gone to do the same thing elsewhere only to be told no?

Yes and yes!! It doesn't hurt to ask. And if the answer is no, it doesnt hurt to ask [someone else] again ;)

I haven't heard that you can get any snack items as a dessert item but as others have mentioned, it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

At Tangierine Cafe in Morocco you can only get baklava as your dessert item. Sunshine Seasons you can get any dessert in the case (a huge selection!) You can also get any dessert item at Kringlas. I love Kringlas as a CS choice. You get a sanwich (large), side item (salad, etc.) beverage, and a dessert. I love their rice cream!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!