How do you handle your money while in the park?

tbgmom

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to figure out how much cash we'll need for our vacation, and what exactly we'll need the cash for. We'll use the credit card for all major souvenirs, table service meals, etc. but can you pay credit for things like churros & other snacks, counter service meals, etc? As Canadians I'm also trying to figure out if it's better to bring our cash with us or use ATMs while we're there.

Thanks!

Being Canadians we also worried about cash. We (as most canadians) are heavily dependent on debit so we aren't used to cash. Coupled with the fact that we certainly aren't used to one or two dollar bills made for some adjustment. Basically we made sure that the hotels had in room safes and we took cash for the day, I believe most counter service and churos were cash only, but I could be wrong. We only used credit for sit down meals and some stores.

And it sure was deceiving having all those bills but no money, because of all the ones. Plus all the money is the same color, so that takes some getting used to for me, because of our Monopoly money. Haha.

We also split up our cash between my wife and I just in case.

All counter service and most carts take credit cards. The ones that I know don't are the roaming carts with the light up toys that come out at night. They are cash only.

We normally put all our money on gift cards.

A few of the carts and stands won't take credit still, but they have added credit machines to a lot of them. I always carry some cash with us for emergencies or that impulse churro or popcorn, but I am accustomed to mostly using my credit card (and paying off each month), so I use my credit card for all souvenirs, meals, counter or table service, and so on. If you are concerned that you are running short on cash while in the park, one option is to buy some Disney dollars at the Emporium or World of Disney (a few other locations too) and use the Disney dollars at churro stands, balloon carts, etc. Disney dollars are paper Disney money (gift certificates) so they can be accepted even at the spots that don't have credit or gift card readers.

Another Canadian chiming in here! We normally tend to use cash for more things than most people. We take out as much as we need from the bank before we leave to avoid extra fees, and my Mom carries all of the American cash in a wallet in her very stylish fanny pack :rotfl: I used to make fun of her, but it really does feel much safer than any other methods! If we have a hotel with an in-room safe we'll leave our Canadian money in there, and sometimes our passports, but otherwise we just carry everything in the fanny pack. If you're not super style-conscious it works quite well!

We have a BMO USD credit card which we use for as much as possible. We take some cash with us just in case, or for small purchases. The first year we went, when we didn't have the credit card we took a large amount of cash and then purchased a gift card to use. Most places, including counter service and carts take gift cards and credit cards. If you are staying onsite everything can just be charged back tot he room using your room key.

Of course DL is different, but when we were just in WDW last year EVERY place we went accepted plastic. Even the guys wandering around with balloons and light up things had the hand held personal swiper things. Maybe not all of them, I think we only used one, but he did. It was nice. I take all of my cash I've been saving an put it on a visa gift card. New alternative to traverl's checks

We are also Canadian, and when we go we usually have about $200 between the 2 of us. I carry about $20 on me, and use the credit card for EVERYTHING - love amex points! If we are staying at a Disney hotel I charge to the room, so we get double points (hotels get double points on amex).

The only time I will use the cash is if we are just buying coffees or something like that, but even then I could use the card.

We always come home with at least half our cash.

We used to take even less, and if we ran out we'd buy Disney Dollars. You could buy them in a $50 denomination, use it to buy coffee and get $45.00 real US cash back. I'm not sure if they have them anymore though; they may have been totally replaced by gift cards.

They do have Disney dollars and they are gorgeous! There are 4 new $1 bills! One side features the villains; one side features the princess/prince/heroes.

We used to take even less, and if we ran out we'd buy Disney Dollars. You could buy them in a $50 denomination, use it to buy coffee and get $45.00 real US cash back. I'm not sure if they have them anymore though; they may have been totally replaced by gift cards.

As recently as November, they still had Disney dollars. You can get them in $1s, $5s, and $10s. I think the $50 one was just a special release for the 50th anniversary back in 2005.

My rule of thumb when visiting the opposite direction ('cause we LOVE Canada!) is that I use plastic for a larger purchase, and try to carry around $25-50 dollars in cash for smaller things. The reason for this is that the exchange rate charge is usually the same no matter how big your purchase. So for a dinner at Carthay Circle that comes to about $250, plastic totally makes sense. Same for a $45 jumper/sweatshirt. But it's a pain to pay that same $2.50(or whatever the exchange charge is) for a $4 snack. So I'd kind of look at how many snacks and small purchases you expect to make, and then have just enough cash on hand to cover those.

Hope that helps and you have a great trip!

longtimedisneylurker said:
As recently as November, they still had Disney dollars. You can get them in $1s, $5s, and $10s. I think the $50 one was just a special release for the 50th anniversary back in 2005.

Can u purchase these with a credit card? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question. Disney Dollars would be perfect for my daughters!!!

I'm not dealing with a currency issue, but I got my kiddos giftcards. They were able to spend to their little hearts content.

It'd work for adults too :)

Another vote for Gift cards! We usually only carry about 100 cash on us. We take pics of our Disney Gift Card backs in case they are lost. Then we use our bank card for everything else. Need be we can get cash from the ATM. :thumbsup2

Another vote here for using Disney gift cards. I live in the U.S., but am planning on using Disney gift cards for our souvenir & food purchases in the parks when we go later this year. That way, I can leave my credit card in the room safe and just bring my debit card & the Disney gift cards.

For those few locations that only take cash, just bring $40-$50 cash with you (your mileage may vary depending on the size of your group).

And if you're worried about losing the gc's just get them in smaller amounts. Tho then you have to carry around a few cards. You could just refill every evening? Hmmm

My rule of thumb when visiting the opposite direction ('cause we LOVE Canada!) is that I use plastic for a larger purchase, and try to carry around $25-50 dollars in cash for smaller things. The reason for this is that the exchange rate charge is usually the same no matter how big your purchase. So for a dinner at Carthay Circle that comes to about $250, plastic totally makes sense. Same for a $45 jumper/sweatshirt. But it's a pain to pay that same $2.50(or whatever the exchange charge is) for a $4 snack. So I'd kind of look at how many snacks and small purchases you expect to make, and then have just enough cash on hand to cover those.

Hope that helps and you have a great trip!

Wow, that's not very good. It may be different for us cards, but for us using our Canadian CC in the US, Amex charges 2.5% exhange on any transaction, not a flat fee, so it doesn't really matter what the size of the purchase is as it is only a percentage.

I'm thrilled they still have Disney Dollars! Are they available at the Disney hotels, or just the store on Main Street?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!