How do you handle weekends?

ErinInCT

Someday my tag will come...
Do you suck it up and use points?

I can't justify the huge amount of points (VWL for example) for a Fri & Sat night stay. We just got back from a Sun - Fri stay & feel we need more time. I hate the idea of having to switch resorts but this time we are debating flying in on a Sat & staying offsite, heading "home" on Sun & checking out Fri & staying offsite Fri night (near the airport) & flying back on the next Sat.

Just curious as to what other people do?

We don't like the hassle of unpacking/repacking just to relocate for one night or maybe two. We usually check in early Sunday and check out Sat. We do use the points for the one weekend night(Fri). I am always amazed at people who stay one or two nights on cash then switch rooms for points and then switch back to cash(and change rooms again) at the end of the trip. To much hassle for me, but it really depends on your personality type.

We own enough points so we don't have to worry about it. I just think of the weekly amount I need (we own enough for 2 weeks) and that's what we have. It is a lot of points for the weekends, but the weekdays are a steal, so it evens out.

The past 2 years I have paid cash for a Friday and/or Saturday night at OKW in May. I got a member discount or AP rate of around $300 for a 1 bedroom. It would have cost 48 points (per night). So that comes down to about $6.25 per point, which I think breaks about even considering initial cost of additional points plus maintenance. We did not have to change rooms either time. I don't want to commit to buying extra points right now, so this allows me to extend my trips by a night or two. Sunday to Thursday are 20 points each, Friday and Saturday are 48 each. Seems like too much of a surcharge for weekends. For our early December trip at BWV, I book it Saturday to Friday so that I only have 1 weekend night (very unlikely to get a cash night there).

We definately don't switch for point value. Too much hassle. I did not buy DVC to continually try and save a few. I bought it to relax where we want to be!!

Instead of thinking how expensive the weekend pts. are I think how inexpensive the weeknights are!! It all equals out in the week's time. n the other hand if I go for 6 nights I try to make only one of those a weekend night, if possible.:tongue:

I haven't booked yet but I bought enough to take weekend points into account. My vacations consist pretty much of a weekend here, a weekend there, and maybe 4-5 days too. So I pretty much bought enough to be able to handle my stays in the weekends.

I'm lucky, though, because I plan to stay at my parents on Fri night and save the points... they live in Orlando, only 15 minutes away from WDW.

We usually do a 12 day stay so we are only there one weekend. we check in on Sunday and check out the following Friday.

Originally posted by pplasky
We don't like the hassle of unpacking/repacking just to relocate for one night or maybe two. I am always amazed at people who stay one or two nights on cash then switch rooms for points and then switch back to cash(and change rooms again) at the end of the trip. To much hassle for me...
Am in total agreement with you! Seems like a waste of precious vacation time to switch rooms!

We originally bought enough points to handle a week in a 2 bedroom. I didn't buy DVC to stay somewhere else for the weekend. Just this last week, we called last minute and got a studio for the weekend before our GV stay so we could get a bit better airfare. It cost us an extra 42 points, but it was worth it.

Last year we did the Sun thru Thurs stay and felt we needed more time. So this year we are leaving Sat am(early) and checking into an OKW 1 br and paying the discounted DVC rate. We linked the ressies so we won't have to move.

We were booked at POP for that first night, but my DH suggested we bite the bullet and pay for OKW because he doesn't want to have to deal with moving and the 2 kids.(5.5 and 2.5 yo)

Pam:D

We bought enough points for a week in a one bedroom (sunday-sat.) Then bought more so we could do a two bedroom. Then I started getting greedy with my points and figured I could make two trips if I checked in on Sun and left on Fri. And I really enjoy staying at the other resorts. So, we stay someplace else on Sat. night...move to BWV on Sunday, stay until Fri and sometimes leave on Fri but sometimes stay until Sunday and move back to the original spot. We don't mind moving, having found it to work pretty well having Disney move our stuff for us. But, a lot of others don't like to move once they get there.

since we've only recently become members. With our many past visits, though, we've enjoyed a couple different resorts with each stay, so we are thinking we'll probably book a room at SoG (or one of their discounted rooms at other disney resorts) for at least one of our weekends. Our kids are good at packing, we aren't commandos so it doesn't take away precious park time, and it will probably make us appreciate the extra space at our home resort even more. Like I said though...only a plan and we may decide we never want to stay in anything but a 2br again.:tongue:

Being from California, I'll always leave Saturday, getting to Florida late Saturday night. I'll stay cheap by the airport(or in a value onsite), with a small travel bag with some clothes to keep from unpacking all my luggage. I can't see burning points for this night, plus I want to check in early to get the best room. Sunday morning its check in time. From here I may vary as follows:

Option 1
Sunday to Friday at DVC, then I'll check into a moderate or Deluxe to try another resort for the 2 weekend days, then either leave Sunday, or check back into DVC for a couple more nights.

Option 2
Sunday to Friday at DVC, then I'll stay at Universal area for two days(getting front of line passes) or visit relatives for the weekend. Then either leave Sunday, or check back into DVC for a couple more nights.

Option 3
Sunday to Sunday at DVC, burning my points on the weekend.

Originally posted by ErinInCT

I can't justify the huge amount of points (VWL for example) for a Fri & Sat night stay. We just got back from a Sun - Fri stay & feel we need more time. I hate the idea of having to switch resorts but this time we are debating flying in on a Sat & staying offsite, heading "home" on Sun & checking out Fri & staying offsite Fri night (near the airport) & flying back on the next Sat.

Just curious as to what other people do?
we are switching resorts This is our test run this Nov BUT I would think we will probably splurge for at least one weekend night in the future I like the idea of many little trips instead of one big one. SO if we can get 3 weeks (5 nights) and have to pay cash for a night or two or get 2 weeks with a weekend night included that is probably how we will do it.
Steph

DH loves the deluxe resorts so the plan is to move on Fri-Sat. We used the AP to get a great rate at AKL for our next trip. We are using points Fri-Sat. the first two days of our trip because we are bringing MIL and we need the room. She is leaving on Friday and we will move to AKL for the weekend.

Originally posted by ErinInCT

Pretty much so, yes! ::yes::

We think of points per week, not points per day and it makes it a lot easier. As you point out, a five day stay is pretty short, unless you live within a few hours of WDW.

We do stay off-site the night we arrive since we get there very late and we don't like to use points just to crash on a bed for a few hours. Also, I tend to agree that late night check-ins will get the "leftovers" in room selection if the resort is at full capacity.

WE have never done a stay more than 6 nights, so only one weekend night. In February, we are flying in on a Saturday, staying Sat and Sun at the Swan on Starwood points, then moving for 3 nights, I hate moving, but didn't want to burn the points up, this is kind of a bonus trip, I figure we get there SAturday mid day, we will be gone early sun morn and not return until late Sunday night, (daytona 500), will chill out Monday and do the switch then, and have Tues and Wed to visit a park, or not!, then leave Thurs. Ed

We made sure to purchase enough points so we just book a trip and forget about the weekend points difference.

When we first bought in, I booked a studio for the weekend nights and then a 1 bedroom sun - fri. We did that twice and decided we really love the 1 bedroom so from now on we will be staying at the same resort for the whole trip (on points).

Also, my DH does not like taking long trips. He would rather take short weekend trips more often. So I get 1 or 2 week long trips and then 2 more weekend trips a year.

That means arriving on thursday leaving monday! It is probably the worst use of points, but oh well! If it means I get to go, then we are paying the higher weekend points!!

We've used points for weekend nights only once or twice since 1995. My preference is to make a cash reservation for the weekends (the member discount is almost always available) and use points for weekdays. We've NEVER been asked to move from one villa to another.

I don't see this method as burdensome...I see it as the best value and the best use of our points. For example my wife just returned from a "girls" trip to OKW when Saturday 10/16 in a 2 bedroom was $420 plus tax vs 56 points. We paid cash for that Saturday.

Once again one of the reasons we love DVC is the flexibility it offers us. We decide for ourselves what is best for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!