How do you find a new stylist?

SheSingsAlong

Mouseketeer
I got horrible news today: the woman who has cut and colored my hair since I was 13 years old died unexpectedly. Apart from the fact of suddenly losing someone I considered a friend, I'm at an absolute loss of what to do. I trusted her judgement entirely. I started coloring my hair because she knew I would love it and dang it if she wasn't right (I'll be buried a red-head, I swear).

I'm fairly certain I know the brand and formula of my hair dye, so I could tell someone new what to use. Do I just have to book an appointment with someone at random and see if it's a good fit?

Not all colorists are good stylists and vice versa. Find someone whose hair you like and who's hair texture seems like yours and ask where they go. Read online reviews.

It is hard....I may be looking for a new stylist because after 10+ years of good care, my stylist has seemed distracted or bored lately .....about every other cut is sub-par. I keep going back because I dread changing. I don't get color and that would add a whole new anxiety!

I would ask a friend or family member if you like their cut and color. You may have to go through a few to get the right fit.

My mother resorted to asking people at church, etc. even if she didn't know them if she really liked their style.

Good luck! Not an easy task.

First, I am sorry to hear about your friend. :hug:

Second, the best advice is to ask friends/family/coworkers and even stranger who has hair similar and you like who they go to. I have been asked by strangers and never felt awkward, I was flattered!

I got horrible news today: the woman who has cut and colored my hair since I was 13 years old died unexpectedly. Apart from the fact of suddenly losing someone I considered a friend, I'm at an absolute loss of what to do. I trusted her judgement entirely. I started coloring my hair because she knew I would love it and dang it if she wasn't right (I'll be buried a red-head, I swear).

I'm fairly certain I know the brand and formula of my hair dye, so I could tell someone new what to use. Do I just have to book an appointment with someone at random and see if it's a good fit?
I know how you feel, OP. I am going through the same thing. My friend and hairdresser of many years has just retired. She is 76 y/o and worked for 50 years!!! I am going to try a hairdresser at my salon that I know and see how it works. Maybe you can try a new stylist at your salon, or if you don't have a salon, just check with friends for recommendations. I have even asked someone I dont' know but admired her haircut where she go it cut. She was happy to tell me about her stylist. Good luck to you.

I feel your struggle. My hairstylist decided to retire when the world fell apart and it has been a struggle to find someone that I like. I get my hair permed (I know :eek: but my hair needs a little extra curl help and it has been one of the best decisions that I have made). I tried calling around and asking online and no one wants to do perms anymore or they charge crazy amounts so that people won't want to do them. I finally asked a friend at work and have started going to her hair stylist who does perms and does a decent job but I'm still not super thrilled with her but I keep going to her just to keep things going until I can find someone I like. Keep asking people who they go to and see if someone meshes with you.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend (and hair stylist!).

I agree with others who suggest that when you see someone with a hairstyle that is appealing to you, ask them who they go to. I've had many people stop me and ask that question over the years...so much so that I kept a bunch of my hair stylists business cards with me to hand out whenever someone asked me who does my hair. Some of them handed the card back to me as soon as they saw the address (I go to a stylist about 40 minutes away from my town), but many of them said they didn't mind driving that far for a good stylist.

The way I found my stylist was that I used to get my nails done every other week in the salon she was working in at the time. I went there for years but was getting my hair done by my cousin at the time. I always paid attention to the various stylists working and I never had any doubt who I would go to if I ever stopped going to my cousin (who had been doing my hair for many years). Long story short, the stylist at the salon heard me complaining about my bangs not being cut right (by my cousin) and she told me to stop at her chair before I left that day. I did and it was amazing how a few little snips made all the difference in the world. I scheduled my next appointment with her and have been going to her for the last 20 years.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kindness and your help. I guess I'll have to start asking around. I'm worried I'll have a lot of feelings tangled up in this search because I really just want my friend back 😢 Gonna have to try to stay objective, be clear about my hair care needs, and be willing to start over with a few different people to find the right fit.

So sorry to hear about your friend. Condolences. I recently just stopped going to my hairdresser. I wasn't ever really pleased with my cut, color, style. No matter if I kept saying, it's way too light/too washed out, bringing in pics. On top of that the $160 (without tip) was not worth it. I've been coloring my own hair. I don't do the best job, but it will do. And I recently went to Supercuts for a haircut. $20 for haircut and $8 for hair coloring. And I like it better than what I was getting. Before doing this: I would look on line a lot. Search salons near me, etc. Read reviews.

OP-- Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Did you notice if she kept records of the color combo she used? Mine keeps my info on a card which she updates after every visit listing what she did- color/highlights/cut and makes a note if she changed the formula. If yours did, when the timing is appropriate, ask if you can get that information. If she worked in a salon with others or her family may reach out to clients to give them this information. Again, all when the timing is right.

So sorry to hear about your friend. Condolences. I recently just stopped going to my hairdresser. I wasn't ever really pleased with my cut, color, style. No matter if I kept saying, it's way too light/too washed out, bringing in pics. On top of that the $160 (without tip) was not worth it. I've been coloring my own hair. I don't do the best job, but it will do. And I recently went to Supercuts for a haircut. $20 for haircut and $8 for hair coloring. And I like it better than what I was getting. Before doing this: I would look on line a lot. Search salons near me, etc. Read reviews.
My highlights and cut cost $400 before tip (but always a good job, I’ve left before due to $ but always come back).

I uses Google reviews from several different salons in my area and found one based on which name was mentioned the most in the reviews. Then, I found out that person had left and started his own salon, and he's amazing! I've been using him for about 5 years now.

I uses Google reviews from several different salons in my area and found one based on which name was mentioned the most in the reviews. Then, I found out that person had left and started his own salon, and he's amazing! I've been using him for about 5 years now.
Thanks for the information. I also visited hundreds of salons in Chandigarh to find the best ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter