How did you get to school? (inspired by drop off thread)

Kindergarten I walked. I had afternoon session, no bus option. And like I posted in the other thread, the time my dad did pick me up it caused a scene.
1-6 I had a bus, or walked or rode my bike.
K-6 school was half a mile from my house, in hindsight amazing they offered bus service.

Junior High my mom did drop me off, but I walked home or rode my bike. No bus option. School was 1 mile from my house.

High School. Bus, walked, biked or Senior year when I had a car, drove. School was 2 miles away from my house.

The school district I lived in was set up so that no student was more than a half mile from their assigned elementary school, no more than 1 mile from their assigned Junior High School, and no more than 2 miles from their assigned High School. That no longer applies with declining enrollment. Schools have been closed and the past 20 years with open enrollment, nobody ( or very few) goes to their assigned school anymore.

Elementary and middle school we walked...Elementary was 2 blocks one direction and middle school 2 blocks the other direction.

9-10th took the bus which dropped off at the Elementary school. I had moved since going there so I walked about a mile from there to our new house. Sometimes I got a ride to school from my friends and sometimes we walked all the way home from school, less than 3 miles.

I moved in between 10th and 11th to a more rural area, my Jr/Sr year my dad dropped us off on his way to work so we didn't have to catch the bus 2 hours before school started but rode the bus home. Sometimes we would get a ride home with friends but usually the bus.

Where we live now, unless you live a couple blocks for the school, which most people don't since a semi-rural spread out area it's not safe to walk there. No sidewalks, tons of lots animals and crazy drivers. They had to change the way they did bus stops to make sure no child had to cross busy streets after 2 kids in one school year were hit, one killed, crossing the street to their bus stop.

So many walkers in here! I wonder if that’s a geographic thing? I mentioned that I went to private school, but the public school I would have attended is 2.7 miles from my childhood home, and crosses a lot of really busy intersections. All the kids in my neighborhood took the bus.

Live in phila. Walked grade school, back and forth for lunch too. Only one long block. Middle school about 6 blocks, walked . At that time girls could only wear dresses to school, was tough walking and standing in school yard with bare legs In winter. Side info in case anyone cares……boys and girls ate lunch, separately. High school, took two public buses (septa).

Bus. For K-8th grade if I remember correctly it was a 1.5 hour trip each way. For 9-12 it was 1.5 hrs and then I would switch to another bus for another 30-40 mins. I spent way too much time on the bus

1st & 2nd grade, I lived close enough to walk to/from school. 3rd-8th grade, I rode the bus. 9th-11th, I rode the bus to school and walked home. (HS was at the top of a big hill, so it was easier to walk downhill.) Finally got a car my senior year of HS and drove.

I walked until I was old enough to have friends who drove. A co-worker lives 2 houses from my childhood home. Her kids take the bus, they go to the same schools I attended.

Great question, Kitty34 that brings back for me the good memories of my beloved Grandma driving me to and picking me up from school especially as a younger child. In high school I rode the 🚌in 10th and 11th grades. In 12th grade, I mostly drove myself except for times of very inclement weather or when an afternoon orthodontist appointment or some other plans had me riding the bus because Grandma was picking me up in the afternoon.

Bus. My elementary and high school were both less than a 1/2 mile away, but because there were not sidewalks, I rode the bus. I wouldn't have even been allowed to walk in elementary, due to the lack of sidewalks. High school I walked home from band practice, but otherwise took the bus.

Bus in grade school. Two buses in high school (took a bus from my house to closest school, then transferred to a different bus to go to my own school.)

If I had an after school activity, I had to wait on the school steps till my mom or dad got off work and could come and pick me up.

K, 1st, and 2nd grade was in the city, walked 1 block.

Moved to a small town with a lot of suburban neighborhoods surrounding it. There were 2 in town elementary schools in the district, not mine. And another 5 surrounding town but not within walking distance to residential areas.

We had 2 bus stops in the neighborhood to fill the bus in high school. Full bus and we had 3 high schools, 2 grades in each all with separate bus trips. So that was a full bus of 2 grades.

I don't even know if there are any kids in that neighborhood these days. I know of only one family.

All my schools were over a mile away from my neighborhood so our county rule required bus service. I think my high school was just under a mile but the only walkable route was on a major road with no sidewalks, so we had a bus.

What I will say about the bus service then--we had one bus stop at the entrance of our neighborhood and many of us lived in the back of a neighborhood so it was quite a walk to the bus stop comparatively.

In my own area, I've seen bus service change from the bus picking up at one spot in the neighborhood, to expanding to several stops in the neighborhood, and now since hardly any kids are riding the busses that apparently MUST still be run, they seem to be dropping kids off at their door.

In elementary school and junior high I mostly took the bus, but would occasionally walk home in nice weather.

I lived in the neighborhood right across the road from my high school so I walked. The student parking lot was way beyond the soccer fields, so some kids parked on my neighborhood streets. Eventually you needed a resident parking permit to park there during school hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter