How did you get to school? (inspired by drop off thread)

Kitty 34

Hums in her sleep
I went to school most of my schooling in a small town and we always walked. Some of my friends who lived in the country rode the bus. When I would go visit them I would get to ride the bus with them. I thought that way cool!

My sons years later also walked unless I was subbing that day and then of course I would take them.

Now this same school has a giant long pick-up line. I know because I have several times picked up my sister's grandkids from school. It was definitely interesting and quite a change. NOT to say good or bad, just different. ;)

Last edited:

Depends on where you live. Places are not always safe. I wouldn't let my kids walk, no side walks and one daughter had no one at her bus stop by her, won't let her stand alone when safety is a concern. Last year we had a 12 year old at my son's school that was abducted from her bus stop as the person was following her daily and realized she was always alone. It's sick and scary and I fear putting my kids at risk.

I went to private school (elementary and high school) and my parents drove me until I turned 16 because that was the only option. My son goes to the same elementary school and I drive him.

I walked. I don’t know if I ever got a ride to school. My town had no bus transportation (and still doesn’t today). In elementary school we walked four times a day as you went home for lunch then too.

I can’t remember if some other kids were driven to elementary school or not. Some definitely were driven to the Jr-Sr High, and some upper grade students drove themselves.

Rode the bus until I got my license and then I drove. We lived on a busy road with no sidewalks and deep ditches on either side of it. It would not have been safe to walk.

Walked through 8th grade, including by myself to kindergarten. 7th and 8th grade also walked home for lunch & back again. High school was several miles away, we had a parent carpool to school and I took a city bus home. Some school districts bused their kids to the Catholic HS, Cleveland gave us free city bus tickets.

My kids were in a large suburban district, they bused both ways, except for half day kindergarten, then they only bused one way and we had a carpool the other.

I mostly walked. Generic suburban area, sidewalks everywhere and 25mph speed limits. It was about 1/4 mile to elementary, and we lived on literally the furthest street not to qualify for busing under the 1 mile rule in middle and high school.

Pretty much no one lets their kids walk in elem in my area, despite sidewalks and 25mph speeds and two grant-funded pedestrian lights on the only two 35mph streets in town. I think the early start times discourage it in the morning, and the district doesn't allow elem. kids to walk home unless they are with an adult. In middle/high school, drop off lines are crazy but enough kids walk in the afternoon that pickup isn't bad.

Catholic elementary and high school (mostly). K-4th grade, took Chicago CTA with my brother. Moved to new neighborhood, school at the end of the block, walked. High school was about 5 miles from home, took bus first 2 years. My dad picked me up during basketball season after practices, about 6 PM.

At 16, got a car, drove. Starting cutting school days (not classes, school did not have open campus) to hang out with my bussies whom all went to public HS in the city. Middle of my senior year, got kicked out and finished last half of my senior year at the public HS, which was not my buddies HS (our area alternated year to year between 2 public HS's and that year was not to their school). Drove there also, and cut days there also, but did not get kicked out.

My elementary and middle schools were right next to each other and just a short walk from home. I walked with my older sister (until she was too cool to be seen with me). My next door neighbor and I were in the same grade and always walked together, plus whichever kids on our street who were leaving at the same time. It was also common for neighbors who were driving their kids to stop and pick us up. My mom or neighbors parents would drive us on rainy days. Everyone would pile into a station wagon and go. Most kids walked to our schools. There was generally no drop-off or pick-up lines, expect when it rained. It was cool to sign up for safety patrol when you got to 6th grade. We wore yellow jackets and hats and carried big stop signs to help kids cross the street into the neighborhood. There's no way they would let kids do that nowadays!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter