How can people complain?!!

michelle1

DIS Veteran
We stayed a value resort a few years back and had a very nice trip. Since then we have always stayed moderate because the kids like a pool slide and we now spend more time at the resort. I am taking my DD on a short trip in Sept and we are going to stay at POP which I am very excited about thanks to everything I have read here. What I can't understand is the numerous negative reviews about the value resorts and the comparisons to a Motel 6. I booked just last week and got the AAA rate of $65/night. So for that price I am getting picked up at the airport, my bags will be delivered, I will have free transportation my whole trip, the rooms will be basic but clean and well stocked, the hotel will be nicely themed with 3 swimming pools and there will a foodcourt and giftshop right on property? Works for me!!!:) :)

I think there will always be some people that have genuinely bad experiences, no company, or hotel will get things right 100% of the time. However, I also think there are those who expect too much, or do not know what to expect. I also think some of the criticisms come from people who have not stayed there.

We like either the values or the deluxe hotels, the extra for a mod over a value does not really give that much more value to us, they are both great, the values are more basic with less facilitities, but they are clean and fun.

I think there will always be some people that have genuinely bad experiences, no company, or hotel will get things right 100% of the time. However, I also think there are those who expect too much, or do not know what to expect. I also think some of the criticisms come from people who have not stayed there.

I couldn't agree more with this statement!

The values have worked VERY well for us over the years. I don't know what kind of Motel 6's these people are staying at, but if they're anything like All Star Movies, then sign me up! lol

I think part of it is because once people here the name Disney, they have high expectations. Sometimes too high. And the other part is that some people are never satisfied and would find something to complain about, no matter where they stayed.

I have stayed at the POP only once, but found it to be just fine. As you can see from my signature I am very used to staying at BCV and BC etc. The hotel room was very clean, the overall resort was nice and the Food Court and Gift Shop were great. Don't worry about all the negatives it is a very nice resort.

I am very happy to stay at a value resort. It's really the only way that we can go every year to Disney with the five of us. My kids are happy and that's all that matters to me. I keep telling them that once I start playing the lottery and if I win we'll go deluxe:rotfl: I guess if we didn't go every year we could save for a mod or deluxe. Really the value's are fine. The themeing is cute and the place is clean. Besides...Motel 6 motels always have green pools:scared:

I agree.
We can well afford to stay at any of Disney's deluxe resorts.
DH and I travel several times a year and we have stayed at a lot of 4 star and several 5 star hotels.
So Disney's deluxe resorts are just another hotel/motel to me.
The Disney value resorts are unique.
I love the theming.
When I stay at value I feel like I have stepped into a Disney Movie Fantasyland. No other hotel/motel has ever put as big smile on my face as the All Stars.

I have always felt Disney's value resorts are a total bargain.

When I stay at value resort at Disney I feel I am getting way more than my money's worth.
The grounds , the food court, gift shop ,lobby and my room have always been very clean and well maintained.
When I rise early in the morning there are always groundskeepers working on the landscape.

The pools have always been clean with sparkling water. (We do have a large heated inground pool at home so I know about pool maintence and water clarity)

The main pool is huge and always has plenty of lounges and chairs to sit in and relax by the pool.

The staff has always been very friendly.

I get so many perks (Disney theming, Disney transportation, and EMH)
Any of Disney's resort guests (even those staying at a value or mod) are allowed to shop, dine, use the transportation or spa facilities at any of the Disney Resorts. (Of course pool hopping is not allowed.)

Just my 2 cents

The Values work for DH and me too. If I can save money on the room that's more time I get to spend @WDW and more spending money for shopping. DD and family will be staying at AKL during our December trip and we would've loved to have joined them but when I do the math I just couldn't make it work this year. Maybe some trip in the future but for now I'm happy with taking a longer trip. Besides I really enjoy the Disney icons at the Values.

We like either the values or the deluxe hotels, the extra for a mod over a value does not really give that much more value to us, they are both great, the values are more basic with less facilitities, but they are clean and fun.

We've stayed at the All Stars three times. The first two we got what we expected. A clean room in reasonable condition with no items in need of repair. Yes it was noisy and no, the decor didn't really float our boat, but we thought that the value was fine.

The last time we stayed there we encountered some terrible guest service issues. We were given the wrong room number and our key cards wouldn't work (I wonder why?) and the desk was less than accomodating in getting the problem resolved. Our VMCP tickets were supposed to be keyed onto our room card and weren't--we found out when we arrived at the MK, and MK guest services had a heck of a time dealing with the All Star CM's to get it fixed. Our non-smoking room had cigarette burn marks all over the carpet and vanity, a torn comforter, and stains on every piece of fabric or carpet in the room. And did I mention the towels and sheets with holes?

Those are inexcusable issues. I can understand that a room might have a stain on a carpet, but WDW should have been mortified to rent a room in the condition that one was in, and the problems with our tickets and being given the wrong room number--she wrote it down, I didn't misunderstand!--were completely guest service issues that we never felt were really dealt with, even when a manager got involved. And for that reason (amongst many others), we never went back.

That said, I think that a lot of people go to WDW with over the top expectations. Everything from towel animals to birthday cakes to upgrades to CL suites seem to be expected. People complain because the room was too small, the pool closed because it was thundering, there wasn't a full service restaurant, there wasn't a food court, the toothpaste was too expensive in the gift shop, you name it. These are all things which are easily researched in advance, or should be expected.

Unfortunately I think that it's human nature to read one story about someone getting an upgrade and expecting that everyone does, as opposed to realizing that for everyone who got an upgrade, 5000 people got exactly what they booked.

Anne

We've done all the different levels. Yes, there are some perks that were nice at SSR (like the in-room washer/dryer). But, other than that, all we do is sleep and shower there really... so we can't see spending the xtra $$ for a 'better' hotel. We've done differnt more expensive Disney resorts before based on our travel party's requests, but when it comes down to it, the Value resorts give us what we need, and keeps us on property. The only drawback between the AllStars and Pop, as I understand it, Pop has it's own bus -- when the ASRs all share one.

I couldn't agree more with this statement!

The values have worked VERY well for us over the years. I don't know what kind of Motel 6's these people are staying at, but if they're anything like All Star Movies, then sign me up! lol

:thumbsup2

We've stayed at many of the Deluxe and a couple of moderates. For the small amount of time we actually spend in the room, the Values are GREAT. Also, people watching in the Food Courts and the pools is amazing.

I love the huge icons all over the Values too. No place better than that to take photos.

All-in-all, the best value at WDW IMHO.

I stayed at ASMovies once, about 6 years ago. Honestly, it's not my thing; I'm just not into the theming. With that said, I would certainly recommend the resort to friends and family looking for a less expensive place to stay in Disney. The convenience of being on property can't be beat!

I have stayed at ASMu, POP, CSR, CBR, and soon I will add the Poly to the list. I like the Values just fine. I loved CSR. I hated CBR. I hope to be crazy about the Poly.

In the final analysis, all I have ever required of a hotel room is that it be clean, bug-free, air-conditioned/heated, in a safe area, and have a comfortable bed. Yes, Motel 6 usually meets these requirements and I have spent many a night in one of them. I have also spent many nights in Hiltons, Holiday Inns, DoubleTree's, Hampton Inns, Quality Inns, Comfort Inns, and your basic Mom & Pop.

I refuse to fuss about the Values being that I have spent a lot more money at a higher class establishments and had a far worse experience. If you don't like the amenities, then don't stay there! Maggie

My first on-site stay was at All Star Movies in April 1999, a week after the Toy Story section opened. It was SO cute, that I went back to Movies later that year and stayed in 101 Dalmatians. Since then I've stayed mostly at the Swan or Dolphin, and I admit I'm spoiled by the location and the heavenly beds. I returned to a value resort (Sports) for one night in June 2006 when the S/D was booked, and it was perfectly fine for what I needed.

I'd like to think that I can appreciate a deluxe hotel, while still being content with simpler accommodations.

We've stayed at the All Stars three times. The first two we got what we expected. A clean room in reasonable condition with no items in need of repair. Yes it was noisy and no, the decor didn't really float our boat, but we thought that the value was fine.

The last time we stayed there we encountered some terrible guest service issues. We were given the wrong room number and our key cards wouldn't work (I wonder why?) and the desk was less than accomodating in getting the problem resolved. Our VMCP tickets were supposed to be keyed onto our room card and weren't--we found out when we arrived at the MK, and MK guest services had a heck of a time dealing with the All Star CM's to get it fixed. Our non-smoking room had cigarette burn marks all over the carpet and vanity, a torn comforter, and stains on every piece of fabric or carpet in the room. And did I mention the towels and sheets with holes?

Those are inexcusable issues. I can understand that a room might have a stain on a carpet, but WDW should have been mortified to rent a room in the condition that one was in, and the problems with our tickets and being given the wrong room number--she wrote it down, I didn't misunderstand!--were completely guest service issues that we never felt were really dealt with, even when a manager got involved. And for that reason (amongst many others), we never went back.

That said, I think that a lot of people go to WDW with over the top expectations. Everything from towel animals to birthday cakes to upgrades to CL suites seem to be expected. People complain because the room was too small, the pool closed because it was thundering, there wasn't a full service restaurant, there wasn't a food court, the toothpaste was too expensive in the gift shop, you name it. These are all things which are easily researched in advance, or should be expected.

Unfortunately I think that it's human nature to read one story about someone getting an upgrade and expecting that everyone does, as opposed to realizing that for everyone who got an upgrade, 5000 people got exactly what they booked.

Anne

I agree.
The condition of your room during your last stay at a value was inexcusable.
Holes in the towels and sheets? That is beyond inexcusable.
Everyone staying at a Disney resort should expect and receive good guest service no matter what level of resort they are staying at.

I also agree about the over the top expectations.
Unfortunately many who frequent these boards read about others who received a little "Pixie Dust" and expect the same.

Just my 2 cents.

I love the values!! They make a disney vacation affordable for those
who otherwise would not be able to go, or they would have to stay offsite (and miss some of the magic, imho).

One day I may splurge and do mod or deluxe, but if I did that now I wouldn't be able to go once a year like I do now!!

There are probably more complaints about the deluxe resorts here than the values. Regardless of price though, bad service and/or problems can happen anywhere. Additionally there is a group of people who feel what they prefer is good and all else is bad. As well as those who want what they want and if they don't get it... there's a big problem! It's not too difficult to spot those who post with their own agenda-driven complaints though.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!