How busy is the MLK holiday?

mad hatter fan

DIS Veteran
How busy is the Martin Luther King holiday? We may be flying into California on the Sunday of that weekend (Jan. 14th) but we will probably not do our first park day until the day after MLK day (Tue). How are crowds affected during the week after MLK day. Thanks.

We went MLK weekend and the week before the holiday weekend last year and we didn't start noticing crowds until friday evening. Over the weekend there were crowds but it wasn't insanely packed like other holidays. I don't think it will be crowded at all starting the tuesday after the holiday. We were actually thinking of going that week as well but probably won't since SW and HM will most likely be down to remove holiday. We will probably end up waiting a week or two.

My brother has gone this weekend/week the past two years since his twins' birthday is the 18th and they take them there to celebrate. He said the crowds are non existant once MLK is over. Minimal waits, no need to even use fastpass. This past year MLK weekend itself wasn't even bad because it was rainy and cool so the locals didn't come as much. They stayed from the Saturday before MLK to the Saturday after two years running and rave about it, I wish my kids could miss school so we could go with them again this year! If you aren't planning on doing the parks until that Tuesday you should have no crowds to contend with. As another poster said however, HM and Small World may be closed (although Small World opened on the 18th this year which was perfect for my nieces birthday, don't know what its scheduled to do this year). There may be other rides down for refurb and hours will be shorter with nighttime entertainment probably only happening on the weekends. But to me the low crowds make up for that, who needs long hours when the place is deserted?

If you go to www.riderefurbs.com you can check out what's going down for refurb. Check back every month or so, it can change (and does). Good luck!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest