How busy is sea world

TinkB278

DIS Veteran
Hi! We are planning on going to Disney in May to use DVC points but won’t be going to Disney if the AP still isn’t available. We have a son that will be 22 months and are debating whether to bring him with my husband and myself. He will not be wearing a mask due to his age and that always makes us a little nervous when we are in crowded spaces. I know by May a lot more people will be vaccinated however (and hopefully vaccinated people can not spread the virus).

We were planning a couple pool days at Riviera and a Disney Sprinfs day, but now we’re also considering renting a car so we can go to the beach and Sea World. Sea World seems pretty affordable and has Sesame Street land which my son would love. He would also love all the animals. However, I’ve never been to sea world myself. I’m curious about how crowded it gets? We would be there mid May if that matters.I just don’t want to get there and feel totally uncomfortable.

Also, any other thoughts regarding traveling with a toddler or going to Sea World during these times is greatly appreciated!

SeaWorld will not be any busier than any Disney park, but it will probably be equally so. As a general rule, if Disney is crowded, then SW (and Universal too, for that matter) will also be very busy.

That said, we found Disney Springs to be extremely congested, more so than SeaWorld, on our October trip.....a couple of nights they closed due to capacity, and on the nights we could get in, crowds were so heavy that we felt uncomfortable (and unsafe), and left. It was slightly better in December but still very busy.

SeaWorld is a GREAT place for toddlers, and their Sesame Street area is absolutely wonderful. If you decide to go, avoid Friday-Saturday-Sundays as they will be busier than weekdays.

We just got back from Sea World and it was crazy crowded...like my husband ran out to the car and it took him 45 minutes to get back in around lunch time. That being said, we were unlucky to hit spring break crowds and the start of their Seven Seas festival. I think you will have much better luck in May, and we still made it work. Here are some tips...

1) As of now, they aren't letting anyone even park until the park opens (assuming to keep crowds from forming), which creates a huge back up first thing in the morning. But morning is by far the best time to go...short lines in the park and pleasant crowd size. I recommend getting there about 20-30 minutes early. We waited until park open and it took us 45 minutes to park. You will still wait, but at least it won't be a back up of everyone who got there the previous 45 minutes.
2. Do all the rides in the morning. Even Sesame Street Land got to 30 minute waits for us in the afternoon. Everything was pretty much walk on, including the coasters, until 1. We then switched to all the animal attractions and really had a relaxing day at that point.
3. They really push the food plan, but only about half the places were open which made for crazy crowds. If you are planning to eat in the park, I would do more "meals" before the park gets busy and then hit up some of the kiosks like the pretzel place one the crowds get bad (if they do in May).
4. Get in line for the shows about 30 minutes before open to get a seat. They are worth the wait and you can bring food in!

I think it would be great for that age if you watch for those things...the animal shows and interactions are still our favorite, but the rides added a lot. We didn't get to do nearly as much in Sesame Street land as we hoped bc we hit the bigger rides first and it was always crowded by the time we got back there, but it was really cute.

i'm going to tag on to this post because i have the same question but for july 3-4. I know those dates are terrible in general but i figure it's better to avoid isney and universal those days? We'll be in orlando for 12-15 days from 6/26 to 7/9???. What other options could we look at for july 3-4? thought about kennedy SCC. We have a 2 day ticket from last august still as we've been cancelled three times now.

We just got back from Sea World and it was crazy crowded...like my husband ran out to the car and it took him 45 minutes to get back in around lunch time. That being said, we were unlucky to hit spring break crowds and the start of their Seven Seas festival. I think you will have much better luck in May, and we still made it work. Here are some tips...

1) As of now, they aren't letting anyone even park until the park opens (assuming to keep crowds from forming), which creates a huge back up first thing in the morning. But morning is by far the best time to go...short lines in the park and pleasant crowd size. I recommend getting there about 20-30 minutes early. We waited until park open and it took us 45 minutes to park. You will still wait, but at least it won't be a back up of everyone who got there the previous 45 minutes.
2. Do all the rides in the morning. Even Sesame Street Land got to 30 minute waits for us in the afternoon. Everything was pretty much walk on, including the coasters, until 1. We then switched to all the animal attractions and really had a relaxing day at that point.
3. They really push the food plan, but only about half the places were open which made for crazy crowds. If you are planning to eat in the park, I would do more "meals" before the park gets busy and then hit up some of the kiosks like the pretzel place one the crowds get bad (if they do in May).
4. Get in line for the shows about 30 minutes before open to get a seat. They are worth the wait and you can bring food in!

I think it would be great for that age if you watch for those things...the animal shows and interactions are still our favorite, but the rides added a lot. We didn't get to do nearly as much in Sesame Street land as we hoped bc we hit the bigger rides first and it was always crowded by the time we got back there, but it was really cute.
Did you happen to visit Seaworld during the week? I've read some reports that state that half of the park closes down at like 3 during the week, and if we visit then, I'd like to make sure our ticket will be worth it. So if you went on a weekday and could share your experience of what was open or closed I would appreciate that. Thanks!

Did you happen to visit Seaworld during the week? I've read some reports that state that half of the park closes down at like 3 during the week, and if we visit then, I'd like to make sure our ticket will be worth it. So if you went on a weekday and could share your experience of what was open or closed I would appreciate that. Thanks!

We did, but I get the impression that everything was pretty different due to Spring Break. Besides the day we left because of crowds, we went on a Monday and a Friday I believe. Everything that was supposed to be open was (not the ones closed for Covid like the Artic ride). Even Journey to Atlantis was open, which we thought was closed for Covid. The only things listed as open but were closed all 3 days we went were the Cookie Drop and the ride next to it in Sesame Street land. The website listed those both as open, but they were closed all 3 times we went.

The website shows what is open everyday, but unfortunately I don't know that is shows before the night before.

SW isn't currently doing the staggered open/close because of Spring Break

Thanks for your post! We'll be visiting in July and I found your tips super helpful for my planning

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!