How bad is the scooter situation?

In the parks I really don't have any issues with scooters.

I do have a problem with us pick up procedures. In my opinion, it should first be gauged if a person in a scooter would make it on a bus due to the size of the crowd before offering them to get on right away. This is hard to explain...if I've been waiting at the beach club for 30 min for a bus with a large crowd and a scooter shows up just before a bus, the person with the scooter should have to wait for the next bus. They simply wouldn't have made t onto be first bus in a fair manner without the scooter. This doesn't happen. Scooter = first in line.

I hope this didn't come across as mean - just a bit of lacking curtesy/fairness. It is easier to wait for a second bus in a seated scooter than to force someone else, who was here before you, to wait again with their kids.

But if you think that no one has ever rented a scooter just because their feet get tired you would be mistaken. I think there is an increase in this happening. And for whatever reason, those who rent simply because they have tired feet also tend to be more rude, less considerate of others than those who truly need an ECV to survive a day in the parks. I think this is why there seems to be an increase in rude behavior from ECV users.
I totally agree with this. We bought a car a couple of months ago and as we are signing the papers the sales manager found out we were APs at Disney. He then starts telling us about how he will only go to WDW now if he can rent a scooter. It was obvious he didn't need one from the way he was laughing and bragging about it. He kept going on and on about how great it was and how he got to go to the front of the line for all the rides. He even said one time he got off of the scooter to get on a ride and someone made a comment that he wasn't handicapped and his reply was I never said I was. It was sooo hard to bite my tongue on that one.

I totally agree with this. We bought a car a couple of months ago and as we are signing the papers the sales manager found out we were APs at Disney. He then starts telling us about how he will only go to WDW now if he can rent a scooter. It was obvious he didn't need one from the way he was laughing and bragging about it. He kept going on and on about how great it was and how he got to go to the front of the line for all the rides. He even said one time he got off of the scooter to get on a ride and someone made a comment that he wasn't handicapped and his reply was I never said I was. It was sooo hard to bite my tongue on that one.
It is interesting because you don't actually get to go to the front of the line for rides. In fact, it often seems that I am waiting longer. Many times, there is only one "disabled" car. Which means, I have to wait for it to come back. Only so many disabled people can load in each car. So I have to wait for each person to load, ride and unload. And that is after waiting in line with everyone else.

It is interesting because you don't actually get to go to the front of the line for rides. In fact, it often seems that I am waiting longer. Many times, there is only one "disabled" car. Which means, I have to wait for it to come back. Only so many disabled people can load in each car. So I have to wait for each person to load, ride and unload. And that is after waiting in line with everyone else.
I didn't even notice where or when scooter folks or wheelchairs were getting on rides.. .but if he really did fake a disability that's shameful. The only immediate front of line access I saw was for Make A Wish families, and then I just said a little prayer for them to have the best memories. As for busses, ADA only requires equal access not first or best access, but it's likely a Disney policy to load scooters and wheelchairs first. Maybe safety or insurance or just never ever wanting to even give the appearance of discrimination. Yes they take awhile to load.

I didn't even notice where or when scooter folks or wheelchairs were getting on rides.. .but if he really did fake a disability that's shameful. The only immediate front of line access I saw was for Make A Wish families, and then I just said a little prayer for them to have the best memories. As for busses, ADA only requires equal access not first or best access, but it's likely a Disney policy to load scooters and wheelchairs first. Maybe safety or insurance or just never ever wanting to even give the appearance of discrimination. Yes they take awhile to load.
I'm pretty sure it is for safety reasons. When loading a scooter, the scooter pulls onto the bus and drives passed the scooter parking section. They then back into the spot. Now imagine the bus loaded with people. No one would be able to stand in the aisle. Those seated would have to pull their feet and belongings close. Otherwise, the scooter would run into or over them.

Also, keep in mind that the scooters disembark last.

I'm pretty sure it is for safety reasons. When loading a scooter, the scooter pulls onto the bus and drives passed the scooter parking section. They then back into the spot. Now imagine the bus loaded with people. No one would be able to stand in the aisle. Those seated would have to pull their feet and belongings close. Otherwise, the scooter would run into or over them.

Doesn't bother me that they load first and my mother had to use one on one trip due to broken ankle, so I remember it well and it seemed fair enough. The bus drivers have no idea how long people have been waiting, and likely load scooters first bc that is protocol. Even if the scooter shows up 30 seconds, not 30 mins before bus. Actually, when my mom was on the scooter, if we saw a long line for the busses, we hung back, not wanting to block pedestrian traffic blocking the entire sidewalk with a scooter plus our party of 6, including 2 strollers , assuming we'll not make this one, and then get in line for next one. That is polite imho. Perhaps, other posters take issue with that same scenario, except they didn't hang back and wait, did block the sidewalk and did expect priority treatment. Idk.

Yep, there is really no way they can load a scooter with guests on the bus. They have to load them first. And unload them last. I figure that makes it all even out.

In the parks I really don't have any issues with scooters.

I do have a problem with us pick up procedures. In my opinion, it should first be gauged if a person in a scooter would make it on a bus due to the size of the crowd before offering them to get on right away. This is hard to explain...if I've been waiting at the beach club for 30 min for a bus with a large crowd and a scooter shows up just before a bus, the person with the scooter should have to wait for the next bus. They simply wouldn't have made t onto be first bus in a fair manner without the scooter. This doesn't happen. Scooter = first in line.

I hope this didn't come across as mean - just a bit of lacking curtesy/fairness. It is easier to wait for a second bus in a seated scooter than to force someone else, who was here before you, to wait again with their kids.

I get what you are saying and yes, it would be great if they could determine a way to load an ECV when it's their turn vs. first but they just can't. For the reasons mentioned above. Nor is there any way a driver can determine when the ECV arrived and just who in line should load before them. That's just a disaster waiting to happen. Even having them in line with all the guests wouldn't work. As they got to the front, if the bus already had guests loaded, they can't then load an ECV. So then guests who arrived after them would pass the ECV and load. That is in no way a more fair method. First on, last off is the best choice and yeah, in rare instances I do think it means someone who got there before the ECV is left

Does annoyance flash in my mind when I realize a bus I'm getting on has to load an ECV first? It does. for a moment, I'll admit it. I'd venture to guess that most of us feel it for a moment. Then I think, I bet whoever is on the ECV would rather be able to be on their feet and the annoyance leaves. Now, when it's a rude guest or a guest who is able to be on their feet but choosing not to be, it is a lot harder for the annoyance to leave.

My DH has a severe form of scoliosis along with several fused disks in his lower back. Walking is extremely painful and limited to a few yards at most. After observing ECVs being loaded onto buses and the faces of those waiting to board buses we made the decision several trips back to spend the extra money and rent a car to get around much of Disney.

Luckily we can afford to do so and can lift the ECV parts up and into a car trunk. Without an ECV my DH would end up staying back in our room much of the trip. Traveling to national parks etc. limits him to one or two short paved paths. Disney is one of the very few places we can vacation together as a family.

We have never bumped into people around us nor run over feet etc. But even after politely warning others that we are behind them as they stand in the middle of the path we have been screamed at and once given the finger by an adult. People walking, or with small children have crossed into our path over and over. We just put up with it and move forward.

Are there more ECV users now? Sure there are! We are an aging population of baby-boomers who are living longer with conditions that used to severely limit our mobility such as arthritis, osteoporosis, bad knees and neurological diseases such as Parkinson's. Instead of staying home as some of our grandparents and relatives did we are heading out to travel the world. We hope the world will accept us just as it does strollers full of babies and children.

Your kinda right about that. They do require that if there is a handicapped space open on a bus, that they must be boarded. Usually there are only two such locations per bus, so if there are three waiting two will ride and the last will have to wait, but, they are either going to be boarded on the next one or Disney is going to have to send a special vehicle out to pick them up. The loading sequence is because of the fact that seats are taken up by the location of the available spaces. Usually three seats will be folded up for each scooter. If someone is already sitting in those seats they have to move. Someone mentioned the fact that it is also unsafe to load one on a bus with people already on it or boarding it at the same time. It just doesn't work, so they are loaded first, secured and then the rest of the people can board. They are also the last ones to get off as well.

Personally, I have the sugars so I can’t walk for long periods without getting lightheaded. I ride a scooter every time that I go and I’m always courteous to those around me. I only use my horn in rare situations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter