How are you handling rising food and energy costs?

I am finding that a lot of produce these days has a VERY short shelf life

Yes, this has been a constant issue with us. With 3 kids we go through a lot of produce, and paying the prices for fruits and vegetables that we do is frustrating when they last 3 days, and that’s in a special fruit storage container that prolongs life.

Yes, this has been a constant issue with us. With 3 kids we go through a lot of produce, and paying the prices for fruits and vegetables that we do is frustrating when they last 3 days, and that’s in a special fruit storage container that prolongs life.
Presently the only ones I'm finding issues with are apples but it's getting to the end of the season. This last bag of Ambrosia has lasted a bit more but the one last week the apples got moldy quick and half the bag had issues quickly enough.

But our green peppers, onions, etc are normal (and we often cut yellow onions in half store it in a baggie and use it later) but I can understand someone buying more fruit and other types of vegetables.

How are you handling rising food and energy costs?

I'm voting.
Hate to break it to you, but it won't help. Who one votes for for or who ends up in a majority will not play a role on food or energy costs.. I bang when head against the wall whenever people blame ANY President for their IRA balance or what they pay at the pump... there is a much bigger monster out there globally. It's called the global economy

I’m genuinely curious.

I’ve noticed multiple posters in this thread say that voting for this person or that person won’t have any effect on the economy. Do you believe the same would be true for something like climate change?

I believe there are people who push for things to assist with climate change and those that push for things that contribute to climate change. Whatever either person/party decides to do to enact policies in whatever direction, takes time and YEARS to come to fruition.

Personally I'm not enough of an economist to know if policies are in place right now that have caused GLOBAL price increases but having lived through 3 of these cycles now, it doesn't seem to be that anything an elected official does rectifies it. So while everyone is going out to vote to "fix this" (and no one is discouraging that), it seems like an oversimplification of the problem.

I’m genuinely curious.

I’ve noticed multiple posters in this thread say that voting for this person or that person won’t have any effect on the economy. Do you believe the same would be true for something like climate change?

I wouldn't say voting has no effect on the economy as a whole; there are certainly some economic factors that are more affected by policy than others, but inflation is one of the least impacted, particularly in the short term. But climate change is more directly impacted by policy because it will largely be determined by areas that are solely a matter of government decision-making, things like infrastructure and energy and mass transit. Inflation is driven by things bigger than policy, from avian flu and drought and war interrupting agriculture to a global pandemic disrupting supply chains to the decisions of boards and investors in a largely unregulated marketplace. No matter how the election turns out, China will still have their zero-covid policy shuttering factories and farmers will still be culling flocks when the flu is detected and Wall Street will still look to maximize profits. So our costs will continue to rise.

Last edited:
The effects of climate change are also measured in DECADES which is a far longer horizon then the voting cycles. Policies relating to that would have to be implemented and in place for a long enough time to show measurable results. Doubt most people will remember who was in power 20 years ago who set such policies.

When we built our house there was an alcove in the garage that we specifically put in a GFCI plug in it, this was in addition to the one already required to be elsewhere in the garage by code. We got an old deep freezer from my husband's grandmother when she passed away and it really has helped. We put the chicken from Costco out there, the meat in 1lb amount (now we actually just do 1/2 lb increments it's easier for 2 people), random other frozen meals we've put together, etc.

The space allowed for us to put shelves above it so I like that we didn't do a full fridge/freezer out there but I can understand the usage of it. My in-laws have that in their garage and it's pretty common for people to do that around here but I just didn't want to take up the space at this time for that.

If you can wiggle one in your garage even just a deep freezer we've found it to be really helpful.
We bought a 7 CF garage ready freezer at HD with DH's vet discount this summer for $100. We are now in control of what we buy on sale and portion it out using a food saver (like cryo vac). I go to the store once a week for fresh fruit and vegetables and stalk whatever is on sale. Even with extra electricity we are saving about $100 month.

We looked for *garage ready* as we get to 20 below in NH, it has a green light on the outside to alert us it is on, a bright light inside and two baskets for smalls. It is a game changer. I couldn't agree more!

I wonder this every single day. I was just saying on another thread that I don't know where people are getting their money. Every restaurant, microbrew, festival, etc. we go to is packed. We have been to Disney twice in the last year and you could not move.

Well, spending on service sector items like travel and restaurants has continued to climb post-pandemic. How are many people doing this, well, one answer is that the savings rate has dropped down to 3% and credit card debt is at an all-time high. I get the feeling that people still have pent-up pandemic revenge spending going on...and some are saving less and/or going into debt to do so.

The problem with this inflation is that despite what the Fed is doing....raising interest rates as fast as they have been, inflation is not budging yet....not even a little bit. And so there is going to have to be more pain meted out by them that will affect the economy. They can't pivot now...and they know it.

As for us, we are noticing the inflation but we're going to be okay because we have always had a good buffer in our discretionary spending and grocery spending categories that would just move over to extra savings each month. Now, less moves to savings. I just got our annual gift envelope for our town's food bank...and will be sending a check tomorrow.

One huge jump in something we just purchased is our new car lease....payment up 34% from just two years ago. The actual price of the car in late 2020 was 52K....now, just over 70K. It's insane.

One huge jump in something we just purchased is our new car lease....payment up 34% from just two years ago. The actual price of the car in late 2020 was 52K....now, just over 70K. It's insane.
We've noticed more cars on the lot as opposed to May 2021 but we're still holding off on a new car for this reason above. If we don't have to be apart of that mess we're going to keep out of it for now.

We've noticed more cars on the lot as opposed to May 2021 but we're still holding off on a new car for this reason above. If we don't have to be apart of that mess we're going to keep out of it for now.

Oh totally....don't buy now if you can hold off. Our lease was up and we ordered this car months ago because of the backlog. We went down to one car at the beginning of the pandemic....and so one fancier car is in our budget, and it's an EV, so at least no gas/maintenance. But....I think this is likely the last pricey car we'll have as we'll just be 2-3 years out from retirement by the time this two year lease it up.

And it's not just cars like our Tesla Y that are outrageously expensive. My FIL just bought a new Kia Niro...a little hybrid, and paid over 40K for it! It's nuts. So it is getting a bit easier to find cars, even hybrids. All that I know is that the lease/loan payments are really high....and going to really cut into consumer spending as we move closer to a recession.

We bought a 2022 Toyota Higlander 3 weeks ago.

We've been waiting 2 years. Our old 2008 Sienna had 189,500 miles and was about to need some big maintenance.

With the continued shortage of cars and chips, etc. we figured prices are not going down anytime soon.

And ordering cars is not guaranteed and taking 9 months or more to come in.

We were on the lot looking in windows and saw this one.

The salesman came over surprised that it was still on the lot. He had ordered it for someone several months ago.

In the meantime, they got sick and had to decline delivery when it came in 3 weeks ago.

While we were test driving it, another salesman called him looking for the keys. Another couple was interested in it.

We decided to buy it, but saw the salesman and other couple watching to see if we were going to buy it.

The dealer had another car like it that would be delivered at the end of the month, but really had no idea of what inventory Toyota would send them at any time.

We took a loan at 4.5 interest, but will pay it off with our savings.

The dealer gave us $2,000 site unseen for the trade in and had sold it by the end of the week for $6,900.

Hoping it's still got life in it for someone else to enjoy.

Last edited:
I’m just waiting for that Inflation Reduction Act to kick in! Like most of those who voted for it, I printed a copy, sat down, and diligently read every single word of the title. I was absolutely convinced it will work!
Somewhere deep in my box of high school memorabilia is one of these ...
1992.248.jpg

Yep, that idea worked *really* well. (The irony is that I hear these free Ford-era WIN buttons are now worth about $40 on the collector market. Maybe I'll use it to buy a bag of groceries.:rolleyes1 )

I’m genuinely curious.

Climate change is a long term invest. That’s why any policy you see focuses on 2030 2040 2050 and beyond. Comparing this to the economy and a quick fix is like comparing apples to oranges. Many people are desperate and are hoping there’s a quick fix coming November 4. They’re going to be very disappointed.
Those holding the magic ones right now are the global central banks determining interest rates, OPEC ( more what Saudi decides) and Putin.

Any candidate telling you things will change after November 4 is selling you snake oil

Climate change is a long term invest. That’s why any policy you see focuses on 2030 2040 2050 and beyond. Comparing this to the economy and a quick fix is like comparing apples to oranges. Many people are desperate and are hoping there’s a quick fix coming November 4. They’re going to be very disappointed.
Those holding the magic ones right now are the global central banks determining interest rates, OPEC ( more what Saudi decides) and Putin.

Any candidate telling you things will change after November 4 is selling you snake oil
Yes! Food prices are impacted by global commodities and things like oh - a war going on. Major drought on the Mississippi River and barge traffic at a basic standstill. They are dredging as fast as they can.

This is so much larger than an election next Tuesday.

Yes! Food prices are impacted by global commodities and things like oh - a war going on. Major drought on the Mississippi River and barge traffic at a basic standstill. They are dredging as fast as they can.

This is so much larger than an election next Tuesday.
I live in Germany and we actually had the same issue with our barges. We had a very dry summer on the brink of an official drought. The barges could transfer a fraction of what they normally could when it came to commodities due to water levels being so low. Drove prices totally up. Has nothing to do with who’s in political power (unless they have a magical rain dance lol)

The dealer gave us $2,000 site unseen for the trade in and had sold it by the end of the week for $6,900.

Hoping it's still got life in it for someone else to enjoy.
I don't know if they sold my old car, but it was a 2016 econobox I paid $17,000 for brand new and worth $6000 5 years later with 65ish thousand miles. Another year as I traded it this spring with 75,000 miles, they gave me $11,000 for it and it was on the lot for $16,500 that evening.

My values, I estimate I paid $2000 too much for the used car that replaced the Mazda, but they gave me $5000 too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter