How are we not more outraged about these shootings?

Was he pulled over that many times, or ticketed that many times? (Honest question). I don't think it's terribly unusual for a guy with say a bad muffler to receive multiple warnings, but not necessarily multiple tickets.
You can see for yourself. It's a whole lot of driving without proof of insurance and then his license gets suspended and he's driving with a suspended license
http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/phila...ook-live-video-watch-lavish-reynolds-diamond/

It looks like that's how many times he was ticketed but I don't know.
Would there be a record if he was just pulled over and let off with a warning?

Not sure, I just noticed one of the prior quotes said "pulled over once per month", so it had me curious. I would think ticketed once per month would lead to a suspended license (which, in & of itself is not a felony and wouldn't disqualify him from gun ownership, just as an aside).

Actually, it occurs to me that if he's licensed to carry concealed & has been pulled over LOTS of times, he almost certainly had to have been armed on other occasions. One has to wonder what it was that was different this time to cause things to spiral out of control (and no, I'm not assuming it was something HE did).

Actually, it occurs to me that if he's licensed to carry concealed & has been pulled over LOTS of times, he almost certainly had to have been armed on other occasions. One has to wonder what it was that was different this time to cause things to spiral out of control (and no, I'm not assuming it was something HE did).
Good question, you have to wonder what was different this time vs the other 31 times.

I was thinking about that too. He must know the drill having been pulled over so many times. How could it have gone so horribly wrong this time? I think we're all trying to make sense of it.

Right, because nobody cares if it's 2 white people...really I don't either because that's not what it's about...it's about abuse of power and some really crappy people who are in positions that they shouldn't be in.

I'm appalled at all these deaths at the hands of police. But, I'm not sure it's simply an issue of crappy people misplaced in their positions. Let's not ignore the structural racism in the law enforcement and criminal justice system.

I have...ALWAYS. maybe, you live in a safer town?

LEOs "always" instruct you to get out of your vehicle when you are stopped? Or do you just get out on your own?

I'm appalled at all these deaths at the hands of police. But, I'm not sure it's simply an issue of crappy people misplaced in their positions. Let's not ignore the structural racism in the law enforcement and criminal justice system.

LEOs "always" instruct you to get out of your vehicle when you are stopped? Or do you just get out on your own?
Asked and answered

It was a dumb move....reaching for anything in the vicinity of the gun. You just DON'T do that.

I was taught to ALWAYS keep my hands visible, during a traffic stop and have ALWAYS been asked to step out of the vehicle, BEFORE retrieving my ID. And I'm just a small woman..
I've never been asked to get out of my vehicle.

I've never been instructed to get out of my vehicle but my XH and SO have. My SO was asked to get out of his vehicle over an expired registration while he had my daughter in the car.

The officers where I work don't want you to get out of the vehicle. In fact, if you start to do so without them asking, they don't like it. I have probably been pulled over a total of 6 times since I've been driving and never been asked to get out.

as if abuse of power only happens to African Americans

Im willing to bet that there was at least 1 other police shooting yesterday in the U.S. in which the race was not African American

seriously dont think that 2 white ppl have ever been killed by a police officer in 2 days? Omg...i think thats beyond naive.

The question is whether it happens disproportionately to African Americans, or whether 2 white people have ever been killed in 2 days by police shooting without adequate justification. Which is not to imply any answers; just lets get the questions right instead of muddying the issue with assertions that, even if true (and they probably are), miss the point.

I think it's sad whenever an innocent person is shot, and I don't think the color of the victim's skin makes one incident any more tragic than another.

However, I do think we have to sort out the reasons for the mistake. And in this case, is does seem to me (based on what little I know) that the officer was prejudiced (though I didn't necessarily make that same conclusion in every previous case).

...this would not have happened had it been a white guy. I know there could be a lot of factors at play and we all want really badly to believe that race wasn't the major factor here. But, it was. And, sure, the natural tendency is to step back and deny it because it's uncomfortable and scary but at a certain point we as a society should stop doing that.

The big question is how, exactly, do we as a society fix something like this? I think the current method a lot of people want - media outrage against white cops - will likely backfire. In the past, it has led to violent protests where more people were hurt. (And I also don't want police officers to become so afraid of what will happen to them if they shoot a black suspect that they won't shoot when there is a dangerous situation.)

I definitely believe there is still prejudice out there, but assuming that every white person is prejudiced is using the same "logic" as assuming that every black person is dangerous. It isn't going to solve the problem either.

So what do we really need to do?

I have...ALWAYS. maybe, you live in a safer town?

Where do you live?? I was taught that getting out of the car appears threatening?
I've received more than 50 tickets in my life. And even more traffic stops. Nice to know that if I am killed by the police people will think I deserved it because I have a "record"

And in the many states and cities I have been pulled over NEVER have I been asked to get out of the car.

Where do you live?? I was taught that getting out of the car appears threatening?
I've received more than 50 tickets in my life. And even more traffic stops. Nice to know that if I am killed by the police people will think I deserved it because I have a "record"

And in the many states and cities I have been pulled over NEVER have I been asked to get out of the car.
I'm with you. I live in Canada in probably the safest place in the world. If you get out of your car without the officer expecting it or telling you to he is going to seriously freak out.

You bring up a good point.
What do we know about the police officer? Was he new and inexperienced?

It's been a long time since I've been pulled over (20+ years), but in the 5 or 6 times it's happened, I've only stayed in my car once. I've never gotten out without being instructed to do so, however.

Or maybe it's both? Things are rarely "black & white" - even when it comes to black & white.

They never are. There is always more. I live in a pretty small town and had the duty of sitting on a search committee for a new Police Chief. I learned a lot during that process, more than I ever had thought about in regards to warrior mentality and Guardian mindset. I cannot remember all of the proper terms, but what I took away from all of those sessions and interviews is that our law enforcement officers are between a rock and a hard place now. This is a job I would never want.

I am listening to Chief Brown right now, and my heart breaks. THese officers died for US. They died protecting US> and they are the men and women we call when WE need help. Every time we say we want to support our LEO's we mean we want to provide what we need for them to support US>

My niece is a State Trooper. She goes in to some pretty nasty situations and she does it for US> And yet on a daily basis I worry she will be ambushed when she responds to protect one of US>

One of these days the politicians and the media pundits who use these tragedys to gain votes and ratings will STOP and wait until we have facts before they ratchet up the fears many have. This is what comes of irresponsible comments.

I'm with you. I live in Canada in probably the safest place in the world. If you get out of your car without the officer expecting it or telling you to he is going to seriously freak out.

My little town too. I have never been asked to get out of the car. Our offices don't like it.

Actually I think it is worse to be shot by a police officer. They're supposed to protect us and they receive training. It seems like a betrayal in some way. While getting shot by a bad guy is still getting shot but he's a bad guy and I don't have any expectations fror him.

Remember that police officers protect and save lives every single day but they are also armed. If you think it's worse for a police officer to shoot someone maybe you should advocate that police officer not carry guns. That should turn out well for all involved.

Obviously in any organization you are going to have a few bad apples and some who never should be on the job in the first place. Listening to the media spin and becoming outraged even before the facts have been laid bare is very irresponsible. Most police officers retire without ever shooting their guns anywhere but a shooting range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter