How are crowds and weather in May?

Lindsey17

Mouseketeer
So we've decided we are definitely going in 2021, but when is currently our issue. Our previous 2 trips were Sept and Aug with free dining. Given the next to no dates of free dining this year I don't see it happening in 2021 with the anniversary pulling people in. So my question is what are the crowds like in May? Would probably shoot to go in between Mothers Day and Memorial day. Also, how's the weather. Is it already humid like August or still bearable? As much as I'd love to be there for food & wine I really don't think I want to deal with the anniversary crowds.

I was there in May 2019. We went down 5/22-30. It was extra hot....95-100. It wasn't as humid as my July and Sept trips. Crowds grew each day as Memorial Day approached. Heat doesn't bother me and we take midday breaks. Sounds like you are used to being there in the heat anyways. Earlier in may will be a better chance at less extreme weather, but I also believe 2019 was record highs while I was there.

Ahh, this a good one for me to answer because we have been arriving on Mothers Day and staying for 10 days for the last few years. We love this time period. We find the crowds low to moderate, the cheerleaders mainly all leave the Monday after Mothers Day, so no hoards of teens clogging up the standby lines and we find the weather so far to be quite bearable. We do like warmer weather though. Last year I would say the temps were in the 70’s at night, mid to high 80’s during the day for the most part but very little humidity unless a thunderstorm rolled in, then it could be humid for a while. We live in the DC area where it is very humid in the summer, especially July and August and May is usually no where near as bad as Aug in DC. I guess it depends though on what environment you come from. Florida in spring summer isnt much different from our weather at home and we hate too much air conditioning, so I don't think it bothers us as much

We will be there Tuesday before through Tuesday after Memorial Day 2021. First time going that time of year, but I really want to catch the F&G festival and my kid gets out of school that week. I’ll be paying attention to reports this year!

We were there from May 4 - 10, 2019. The weather was manageable. Definitely more humid than our winter trips, but it never reached 90s and didn't feel like it was keeping us from enjoying our trip. The crowds were also good, IMO. Our previous trip was January 2017, and I felt like the crowd levels were comparable on both trips. We did have some overlap with the cheerleaders, but that wasn't a problem for us because we weren't staying at a cheer hotel. The big groups didn't arrive at the parks until mid-afternoon, right around the time we were leaving to give my kids a nap. The few times we stayed at the parks into the evening we pretty much blazed past the cheer groups with FP+.

We’ve gone the first week of May the last 4 years. The temps ranged from 80 to 95 mid day but definitely not as humid as other times. To me that’s a huge benefit. Last year crowds were lower than previous years for some reason. We’ve only had a few weekend days that felt crowded (MK on Sat so expected). I agree with pp who said low to moderate. It’s probably not the very best time for weather or the very best crowd time (I think your Aug/Sept is probably it) but I think it’s the best compromise between both.

We were there last year in May. It was warmer than expected.
Crowds weren't too bad, but LOTS of school groups.
I've never seen so many Highschool graduation groups, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, and junior high "graduation groups. Each with matching t-shirts. Some seemed supervised, some not.

Ahh, this a good one for me to answer because we have been arriving on Mothers Day and staying for 10 days for the last few years. We love this time period. We find the crowds low to moderate, the cheerleaders mainly all leave the Monday after Mothers Day, so no hoards of teens clogging up the standby lines and we find the weather so far to be quite bearable. We do like warmer weather though. Last year I would say the temps were in the 70’s at night, mid to high 80’s during the day for the most part but very little humidity unless a thunderstorm rolled in, then it could be humid for a while. We live in the DC area where it is very humid in the summer, especially July and August and May is usually no where near as bad as Aug in DC. I guess it depends though on what environment you come from. Florida in spring summer isnt much different from our weather at home and we hate too much air conditioning, so I don't think it bothers us as much

I live in PA so I'm use to humid weather. Plus our last 2 visits were Aug and Sept and this past trip was so humid so 80's in FL sounds amazing. Thanks for the info.

We were there last year in May. It was warmer than expected.
Crowds weren't too bad, but LOTS of school groups.
I've never seen so many Highschool graduation groups, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, and junior high "graduation groups. Each with matching t-shirts. Some seemed supervised, some not.

Oh hmm. Didn't think about school groups. All things to think about. I'm not too concerned about weather since we go during the hottest time usually, more concerned with crowds really. I just feel like August may be busier depending when they start celebrating the 50th.

We always go mid-May (usually finish on the Monday before Memorial Day weekend, as that's a holiday in Canada). We love the weather and the moderate crowds. Only exception to that over the past number of years was 2018 when the monsoons rolled in the entire trip! Never been so wet. But, we put on our raincoats and ponchos and had a fabulous time splashing in the massive puddles! The simple fact is nothing is that predictable anymore, both weather and crowds, so we just plan when we plan and make the best of whatever comes our way! Plan for anything being possible and enjoy whatever comes at you!

We're down at Universal in May? Disney in Oct, but the local schools are down there the early weeks of May, Uni closes their parks @ 6 pm on Fridays for the school kids parties.

Our 1st trip was the beginning of May and I thought the weather was wonderful and the crowds were great.

You never know for sure what the weather will be, but we found it to be less rainy and less humid.

We were there the second week of May two years ago. The weather was VERY hot, but the worst part was that it rained the entire week of our trip! All day rain - ugh! The parks were also much more crowded than anticipated, due for the most part to huge groups of students on their field trips.

We chose April 28 - May 7 for 2021.

We are going between two cheer competitions, but on the other hand Easter is early next year so no spring break, most people won't pull kids out of school this close to summer and I'm hoping more people are waiting to go later when the 50th anniversary starts - possibly as early as summer.

There will always be some negative opinions of this time of year, but mostly they are positive.
:)

We chose April 28 - May 7 for 2021.

We are going between two cheer competitions, but on the other hand Easter is early next year so no spring break, most people won't pull kids out of school this close to summer and I'm hoping more people are waiting to go later when the 50th anniversary starts - possibly as early as summer.

There will always be some negative opinions of this time of year, but mostly they are positive.
:)

Negative opinions on every time of year! :rotfl2:

So we've decided we are definitely going in 2021, but when is currently our issue. Our previous 2 trips were Sept and Aug with free dining. Given the next to no dates of free dining this year I don't see it happening in 2021 with the anniversary pulling people in. So my question is what are the crowds like in May? Would probably shoot to go in between Mothers Day and Memorial day. Also, how's the weather. Is it already humid like August or still bearable? As much as I'd love to be there for food & wine I really don't think I want to deal with the anniversary crowds.
Our last 2 trips have been in late May/Early June. We usually go down right after memorial day and stay a week. Face it, Florida is hot. It will rain. It will be humid. The crowds will be above average, but I think proper planning can cancel out any heavy crowd.

Guess what - we are going in JULY this year. Talk about crazy.

Guess what - we are going in JULY this year. Talk about crazy.

Well our 1st trip was Sept and our last trip was Aug so we're no stranger to the Florida humidity. I'm probably more concerned with crowd levels then anything else. I'm not opposed to August again, but I thought we could see an increase in crowd level if they're already celebrating the 50th.

I guess really I just have to learn patience and wait to figure out my plans until they announce when the celebrations will begin. 😄

You also might see love bugs. Not a big deal usually but better if you are not surprised...

I enjoy going in May for Flower and Garden at Epcot...

My favorite time to go is late April after Spring Break and Easter until the week before Memorial Day weekend. Usually the weather is fairly nice around this time and crowds at least last year seemed very manageable. We're going the last week of April this year and I'm expecting the same with moderate crowds. I was checking room availability and there seemed to be a lot of availability with the different discounts that are going around. I even seen availability at the Poly with a discounted rate just the other day in a standard view room and that's something that I don't usually see. I'm also a fan of Flower and Garden compared to Food and Wine. The booths are not nearly as crowded.

I was there the 3rd to the 9th of 2019 and we loved it so much were going back the same dates this year. It was warm, but not unbearable. We usually go in June/July so we are used to crowds and humidity. The crowds last year were not bad at all! Very manageable. You will see lots of lovebugs! But overall I think May is a wonderful time to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter