Housewarming gift- what did I end up getting?

I know it's a housewarming gift, but what about something like a nice frame (for a photo of the two of them, maybe even with the house) and a gift card for a local restaurant they might like.

Otherwise, have you thought about giving them cookbooks and maybe a few specialty gadgets or a grocery gift card and some wine.

Or what about a membership for one of those 'you prep your foods and then freeze' places, like SupperWorks. They could do it together and learn how to make a few things that they might not otherwise do.

I know it's a housewarming gift, but what about something like a nice frame (for a photo of the two of them, maybe even with the house) and a gift card for a local restaurant they might like.

Otherwise, have you thought about giving them cookbooks and maybe a few specialty gadgets or a grocery gift card and some wine.

Or what about a membership for one of those 'you prep your foods and then freeze' places, like SupperWorks. They could do it together and learn how to make a few things that they might not otherwise do.
The boyfriend is a professional chef, as we've learned in posts upthread.

Gift cards are always great, but I know they don't have a personal touch. Here are few suggestions that are different and/or could be plus the gift card.

One of my favorite things in my house I received was a plant. It was put in a neutral pot (and it wasn't fancy) and I still love it.

Also really nice sheets they wouldn't splurge for themselves. You usually can't go wrong with white.

My daughter and her boyfriend just moved into their new apartment today. They have lived together before, first with five other people out in B.C, and for the last six months they lived at home with his parents. This apartment will be just the two of them.

She is 19, 20 in October and he is 22 or 23 in September. They’ve been together for four years and are a great match. He’s a great kid and I’ll be thrilled if he joins the family at some point.

They are set for furniture, and have all the pots and pans and small kitchen stuff they need. They’re both artsy so I don’t want to pick a vase or picture that might not be in their taste. I saw a lot of suggestions for wine glasses and cheese cutting sets and that’s just not them. Funny coasters would be appreciated but I want to do more than that.

Im thinking of just sending an Amazon gift card so they can pick out something they want, I just don’t want it to be seen as impersonal.

Despite both of them being the age of majority, they’re still kids lol. They do both work full time, and my daughter is going to school when it reopens to be a nail tech for a few years. Then, she’ll get serious about choosing a career. Her boyfriend is a chef in a kitchen with a good reputation.

so, having said that, any ideas for a gift or am I just better off sending a gift card and letting them pick what they know they need? I don’t care what they use it for, the only stipulation is that’s it’s not for $50 of junk food lol

Really nice towels. It’s the kind of thing that people don’t always think about getting for themselves, but they’re so nice to have. You know how you go to the store and look at the nice towels, and then by the more affordable ones.

Gift card with some nice hand towels or fancy hangers or some other splurge item most don’t think about

My go-to practical wedding, new home or baby gift is a Brother label maker along with an extra cartridge. The labels are waterproof and dishwasher safe but you can peel them off most things easily with zero residue. I use them to label everything from swim goggles to pantry items. Most recipients are confused by the gift until they use it for the first time. Pretty soon, they're asking me where to get more cartridges because they want to label everything.

Gift cards are always great, but I know they don't have a personal touch. Here are few suggestions that are different and/or could be plus the gift card.

One of my favorite things in my house I received was a plant. It was put in a neutral pot (and it wasn't fancy) and I still love it.

Also really nice sheets they wouldn't splurge for themselves. You usually can't go wrong with white.

A plant is a really good idea because my daughter LOVES them. After she plays around being a nail tech for a few years (she wants a fun career before her grown up serious one) she really wants to get into botany in some way. There are so many awesome plants she and I would love to have, unfortunately, they aren’t available in Canada and can’t be shipped over the border.

Does the apartment have a balcony or patio? Maybe something for that.

No, it does’t. It’s a pretty small apartment in an older building. It’s so old that her apartment is on the third floor but it’s number is 17 lol

A plant is a really good idea because my daughter LOVES them. After she plays around being a nail tech for a few years (she wants a fun career before her grown up serious one) she really wants to get into botany in some way. There are so many awesome plants she and I would love to have, unfortunately, they aren’t available in Canada and can’t be shipped over the border.

I love plants too. I don't have the best green thumb, but I keep trying. My favorite tend to be the most simple (since those are the ones I can manage, lol.)

I know I have told this story before, but it always brightens my day. My Grandma had an ivy plant she received in 1974 when my great grandma passed away. She kept it living for all those years until she got Alzheimers. She had given my Dad pieces over the years, but he never could keep it alive. She gave me clippings in 2002 and they didn't make it past 3 years. I always knew I'd get more, just had to wait to visit her in Michigan. Fast forward to when she went into the assisted living facility in 2012. She clipped again for me and I was hopeful. I have 2 pots and *knock on wood* they are both going strong. I am keeping that plant from 1974 going. I know she would be so happy. :love:

So, I ended up buying....

Tylenol, Advil, Neosporin, gauze, tape, and Lysol wipes.

My daughter burned her hand on an element this afternoon and so she went to the er just to get it checked out. It’s going to heal just fine but they didn’t have any pain relievers or gauze so I stocked their medicine cabinet for them.

My daughter burned her hand on an element this afternoon and so she went to the er just to get it checked out. It’s going to heal just fine but they didn’t have any pain relievers or gauze so I stocked their medicine cabinet for them.
Great idea!

My favourite housewarming gift is from a company here in Ontario called Wall Talk. They do vinyl wall decals, single words or quotes. They go up easily and when you are ready to move on they peel right off. I add a simple black photo frame with a white mat for the couple’s favourite picture & it fills a wall when art might be too pricy...

Here’s their Instagram - they ship anywhere.

https://instagram.com/walltalkquotes?igshid=ioj0g2rxe49o

Another gift that people love because they never realized how much they'd use it-

A good under the cabinet kitchen radio, different models between $50-$100.
Or https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/portable_speakers.html#v=soundlink_micro_black
Very versatile. I think it's around $100.

Or go the Google home route-
https://www.lowes.com/pd/iHome-Goog...er-with-Bluetooth-and-USB-Charging/1000668155^I love mine. The speaker is great for music, there's all different ways to get music, plus it's an assistant that uses the power of Google. $119. But not everyone likes being connected to Matrix, lol. Privacy concerns.

This is a cool gift for anybody that won't break the bank-
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ge-led...t-led-bulb-soft-white/6398377.p?skuId=6398377It's a lightbulb speaker, put it in the bathroom and listen to music or podcasts etc while in the shower.
Winner! $35 but I've seen them on sale for $20-$25.

A fire extinguisher is a really good idea that they would never think of. It’s not ‘sexy’ but super practical. I got one last year after a fuse popped and flames shot out the top of my stove. Scared the heck out of me.
Aldi’s had them recently I think they were either $14 or $24. I bought two, as we have two kitchens. We had one years ago in our kitchen but idk what happened to it, I think it got lost in the remodel. Anyway, they are good to have, and not fully appreciated till you need one! Same for the other things mentioned. May seem silly but they are a good, practical gift. Love the flashlight story @Darcy03231 !

Another gift that people love because they never realized how much they'd use it-

A good under the cabinet kitchen radio, different models between $50-$100.
Or https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/portable_speakers.html#v=soundlink_micro_black
Very versatile. I think it's around $100.

Or go the Google home route-
https://www.lowes.com/pd/iHome-Goog...er-with-Bluetooth-and-USB-Charging/1000668155^I love mine. The speaker is great for music, there's all different ways to get music, plus it's an assistant that uses the power of Google. $119. But not everyone likes being connected to Matrix, lol. Privacy concerns.

This is a cool gift for anybody that won't break the bank-
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ge-led...t-led-bulb-soft-white/6398377.p?skuId=6398377It's a lightbulb speaker, put it in the bathroom and listen to music or podcasts etc while in the shower.
Winner! $35 but I've seen them on sale for $20-$25.
I agree! I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I love mine and it’s super portable - either from room to room or to work, outside, by the pool, etc. Sound is excellent.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products...lsrc=aw.ds#v=soundlink_color_ii_midnight_blue
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.png

Where did you find Lysol wipes Kim? I haven’t been able to find any.

Shoppers. They’re definitely hard to find. My dad has taken advantage of using the early seniors hour to go shopping and has been able to find toilet paper and wipes. A few days after Easter he found a 6 pack of Lysol wipes and it was better than an Easter gift lol

The wipes were just on the shelf today, no special promotion or anything.

Ouch! Hope her hand heals quickly! If you can find a jar of organic raw honey, maybe add that as a late gift? We always have a jar in the kitchen for burns -- put it on the burn and cover with a bandaid. Takes the pain away completely and heals everything up fast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter