• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Housewarming gift- what did I end up getting?

Maybe a GC to The Container Store or a similar closet store? (cue Modern Family references here) Organizational stuff is always good.

Or to a local (to them) art gallery? They could pick something out that fits their tastes, and it's not quite as impersonal as Amazon/Target. Although, nothing wrong with those, for most people. I gave DD#1/SoIL#1 an Amazon GC for their wedding present, since they had been living together at that point for several years.

I would stay away from the kitchenware, as he's a chef. He would have access to the restaurant depots, so he could get all the kitchen gear he wants at a lower price than you could; and chefs are known to be finicky about their gear and especially their knives.

I would maybe do an Ikea gift card with a basket of fun little stuff from the dollar store - cute oven mitts, teatowels, bag clips.

Is she here in the Peg or still out in Alberta? That would make a difference as I wouldn't try and send a physical gift out of province. Too much in shipping.
Or just go with a good knife or two. Or a cute fun serving dish that people don't buy themselves from a nice kitchen store.

They’re in the city so shipping isn’t a worry. He has a full set of knives already and I would never try and guess what brand he likes. I’ll probably go with an amazon gift card and they can get what they want.

They’re in the city so shipping isn’t a worry. He has a full set of knives already and I would never try and guess what brand he likes. I’ll probably go with an amazon gift card and they can get what they want.
HomeGoods is a favorite here. I think it's called Homesense in Canada.
They have a great selection of quality stuff for good prices. If there's one near you, it might be nice to stop in and pick out something cool for them and attach a gift card.

I give my adult kids gift cards and cash for a lot of occasions. They don't find it impersonal at all. I usually include something small along with it or I'll say, "I thought you might like _______ but didn't know exactly which one to get, but also feel free to use it for something else that you'd like more." They seem just fine with getting the money to spend themselves, though.

I have the opposite quandary. My parents have moved from their home of over 40 years into a much smaller townhouse. I'd like to send them something to mark the occasion, but they've just gone through the whole down-sizing process, so I'm not sure what to give. And for that generation, an Amazon gift card does feel a little impersonal.

HomeGoods is a favorite here. I think it's called Homesense in Canada.
They have a great selection of quality stuff for good prices. If there's one near you, it might be nice to stop in and pick out something cool for them and attach a gift card.

I’m still staying home as much as possible so I won’t go out and take a look but I’ll see if I can find a website.

I’m still staying home as much as possible so I won’t go out and take a look but I’ll see if I can find a website.
Yeah I keep temporarily forgetting we're living in this alternate version of life. Hope you have good luck finding something online.

I would never buy someone else decor unless I was absolutely sure I knew what they wanted. I agree with the PP who said high quality kitchen stuff. A good set of cookware of knives they can't afford will last for years.

I give my adult kids gift cards and cash for a lot of occasions. They don't find it impersonal at all. I usually include something small along with it or I'll say, "I thought you might like _______ but didn't know exactly which one to get, but also feel free to use it for something else that you'd like more." They seem just fine with getting the money to spend themselves, though.

I have the opposite quandary. My parents have moved from their home of over 40 years into a much smaller townhouse. I'd like to send them something to mark the occasion, but they've just gone through the whole down-sizing process, so I'm not sure what to give. And for that generation, an Amazon gift card does feel a little impersonal.

Maybe one of those food subscriptions services, like Freshly? Or a housecleaner for a couple of months.

I would never buy someone else decor unless I was absolutely sure I knew what they wanted. I agree with the PP who said high quality kitchen stuff. A good set of cookware of knives they can't afford will last for years.

With him being a chef, I would never presume to try and stock his kitchen for him. It sounds like a gift card is the way to go.

I think a gift card is good idea, maybe with a new home ornament? (I get a catalog every Christmas from someplace called Bronners. I bet they have online ordering as well.)

I’m not sure what your budget is. However, my favorite household item of all time is my cordless Shark vacuum. I practically begged DH to buy it for this past Christmas, and he reluctantly gave in. We use that thing daily. Even my kids will grab it to suck up heir own messes. It’s a godsend!

Here's my go to - a rechargeable flashlight. When my ex and I were married one of his father's friends gave us one as a wedding present. When we divorced I kept it. Almost 30 years later I can't tell you what our other gifts were, but I bless that man every time the power goes out! You could combine it with a gift card.

Here's my go to - a rechargeable flashlight. When my ex and I were married one of his father's friends gave us one as a wedding present. When we divorced I kept it. Almost 30 years later I can't tell you what our other gifts were, but I bless that man every time the power goes out! You could combine it with a gift card.

In a similar vein, small kitchen fire extinguisher, CO2 monitor, and/or smoke detector. Weird, I know, but I've visited friends (to whom I gave these things) and had them point out - "look, your smoke detector".

In a similar vein, small kitchen fire extinguisher, CO2 monitor, and/or smoke detector. Weird, I know, but I've visited friends (to whom I gave these things) and had them point out - "look, your smoke detector".

A fire extinguisher is a really good idea that they would never think of. It’s not ‘sexy’ but super practical. I got one last year after a fuse popped and flames shot out the top of my stove. Scared the heck out of me.

A fire extinguisher is a really good idea that they would never think of. It’s not ‘sexy’ but super practical. I got one last year after a fuse popped and flames shot out the top of my stove. Scared the heck out of me.
We bought one for our boat and kitchen a few weeks ago and they were both around $20 each.

I've also given it as a wedding gift. Possibly, one of the few people to buy a wedding gift at Home Depot :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter