• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotels in New Orleans?

Since you are foodies:

I'm originally from Southwest Louisiana, so let me plug for the multiple James Beard Award winner, Donald Link, and all of his amazing restaurants in New Orleans. Chef Link is from my part of the world and his specialty is elevating authentic Southwest Louisiana cooking (which is a mind-blowing blend of Cajun and Southern with Lebanese, Italian, Vietnamese, German, Greek and other influences) to a level of the sublime. Most of the restaurants are on the pricer, but not mortgage your house, side, but he also has the most amazing sandwich shop. http://www.linkrestaurantgroup.com/

Wow! So much awesome info! Thanks!!

Two boys; ages 10 and 13 at time of travel. We are foodies so there will definitely be some fun to be had with that. Off to check out all these suggestions!

Try looking into renting a timeshare, Quarter House would be my choice for you. You can probably get a 2 br unit for 1000-1200 for the week.
Google "Quarter House New Orleans timeshare rental".
Things to do with 10-12 years olds:
WW2 museum,
Swamp tours, I would do either/or/and a slow boat and a air boat.
Have lunch/dinner on the steamboat Natchez.
The zoo (there's an Audubon disc package on this)
Ride the Trolleys (the St Charles line is the best).
The Aquarium.
Plantation tours,
Horse carriage ride.
Children's Museum,
Walking path along the Mississippi.
Haunted tours.
Walk around Jackson Square.
French Market Place.
If they like music take a walk on Frenchman Street.
Cemetery tours.

I would avoid Bourbon Street with kids. Too many adult bars and stores.

We love NOLA & visit often. Do yourselves a favor & stay in the French Quarter, you can take the street cars to other parts of town. We like the Dauphine Orleans, nice little courtyard & salt water pool, free breakfast, historical building, just a terrific little hotel.:)

Wow! So much awesome info! Thanks!!

Two boys; ages 10 and 13 at time of travel. We are foodies so there will definitely be some fun to be had with that. Off to check out all these suggestions!

Muriel's Jackson Square is our favorite resturant. Check out their menu! We always make several stops at Cafe Du Monde but it's a midnight tradition (with the kids). Once per trip we go at midnight.

Last year we stayed at the Astor Crowne Plaza at Bourbon and Canal. We stayed in the older section in the back of the hotel because I heard it was quieter than facing the street. We had no noise issues at all. The rooms were nice. We had our two sons ages 20 and 17 at the time, so we got connecting rooms, each with two double beds. The location was perfect. I would recommend it.

So we had vacation all planned out for this summer and just seems like no one is excited about it in our house...So now we've kind of been chatting about going to New Orleans. I've been wanting to forever and the kids are big into the history/ghost tours that I think the area would offer.

Looking for budget friendly hotels that would be within walking distance of stuff. And how many nights do you think we would need to stay to really get to enjoy it but without being bored??

Thanks!!

Four Points by Sheraton French Quarter - right in the middle of the French Quarter. They have on site parking (a HUGE +) and are very convenient to everything. We stayed there in December for $98 a night. We had a room for 4 on Bourbon St. with a balcony. BE WARNED - THIS TYPE OF ROOM WILL BE VERY NOISY AT NIGHT!!! They do have rooms that face the courtyard that would be quieter but you will miss out on the show that is Bourbon St.!

Went ahead and booked the Drury as I think it will fit our needs just fine. Now on to the fun of planning our activities and food!
Bring your walking shoes since you're not going to be staying in the Quarter, & be careful if you're walking back to the CBD from the quarter after dark... (I probably wouldn't want to do that with children along)

Back in January and again in March 2015, I started 2 separate threads (on this board) about a trip we were planning to New Orleans. DIS people were extremely helpful and provided a great deal of very useful information. Several people took the time to write very detailed posts. If you search "New Orleans" on this Board you should be able to find them. Hope this helps!
Have a great time! We loved New Orleans!

Bring your walking shoes since you're not going to be staying in the Quarter, & be careful if you're walking back to the CBD from the quarter after dark... (I probably wouldn't want to do that with children along)

Interesting info...Several others posted on here that it was just 5 or 6 block walk and that's the way google maps shows it too. Also hearing reviews that it's a perfectly safe walk. Do you have a specific reason you are saying it's unsafe?

Interesting info...Several others posted on here that it was just 5 or 6 block walk and that's the way google maps shows it too. Also hearing reviews that it's a perfectly safe walk. Do you have a specific reason you are saying it's unsafe?
It's going to be 5 or 6 blocks from the EDGE of the Quarter (which is a large area). I'm not trying to be an alarmist as we adore New Orleans, but it is most certainly a high crime city. The French Quarter has police out in full force to keep tourists safe. Although the CBD isn't that far away, in our experience it can feel fairly deserted after business hours. Even when it's just my husband & myself we don't venture outside of the Quarter after dark unless we're coming from somewhere on a streetcar or a taxi. We tend to feel much safer not going past Canal Street come nightfall due to some shady situations we've seen and lack of police presence.

http://www.valentinohotels.com

This is a group of hotels including the French Market Inn, Prince Conti, Place d'Armes, and St. Marie in the Quarter, and one other outside the quarter. I just booked a 2queen bed deluxe room at the French Market Inn for $89 a night in June. There are a variety of rooms and prices, but a junior suite at Prince Conti (2Q beds, 1 sofa bed) was $116. Parking is an additional $38 a night (it's valet) but we'll just cab back and forth from the airport ($33 for one or 2, plus tip).

I agree with the previous poster about not staying outside the Quarter. We stayed at the Pere Marquette- basically walked all the way out Bourbon St. to Canal, crossed the street, and walked one block down Carondelet to get to the hotel. I was VERY glad I had DH, my brother, and BIL with us (me, sister, 1 teen, 2 kids) when we were walking back to the hotel in the evening. The edges of the Quarter get sketchy; there's no way I'd want to walk to the Drury Inn after dark or late at night. I grew up hanging out in Boston and have lived in San Francisco, so I'm pretty accustomed to big cities (love Manhattan, even driving there), but I'm UBER cautious in New Orleans.

Another vote not to stay at the Drury Inn. Sorry.

But when there, do take the street car to Audubon Zoo. The Tulane campus across St. Charles Street is a pretty walk as well -- and a place for a decently priced cup of good coffee. Also, back in The Quarter, Cafe du Monde is a must do, at least once, or maybe every morning.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

My favorite hotel in NOLA is the Astor Crowne Plaza on Canal/Bourbon. It's cheap (ish) through priceline, and is a beautiful and easily accessible hotel.

But don't use their Valet. It's overpriced and their staff is made up of theives that will steal petty things from your car. Instead, park your car in a garage, so you have control over your keys.

I havd walked fron convention center hotels (Marriott and Hampton Inn) to Mothers and to FQ. I never felt unsafe. We were there with a cheerleading gym but often it was just me and my two kiddos walking as some didn't want to walk that far and took a taxi. I have splurged on taxis after dark because we typically go in January when its cold. Taxis are $3-5. So if you feel unsafe walking after dark, then take a taxi.

The French Quarter is the place to be, but if it is not in your budget the convention center or business district are not bad choices. There are some sketchy parts of the French Quarter (inside), but you can tell if you are on a dark road/alley by yourself you are in the wrong place. Stick to the main roads, even bourbon with the loud noisy bars and rowdy crowd is safe.

Eat breakfast at Mothers!!!! Get in line early!!!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter