Horseback rides?

serenitygr

2021: trip number six to the Fort!!
Could anyone tell me if the horseback riding is happening at the Fort, or are they still clearing the trails from Irma?

Sorry no one has answered your question. We did the trail ride in June and it is pretty much entirely in the woods. I would think they would have cleaned it out by now or they would lose a lot of $ from people not being able to ride. The ride was nice and just enough time for me (a non-rider).

Are the horseback rides for children only, or do they have horses that adults can ride? My son (he is 13 and as large as an adult male) has been asking about riding horses, and we will be at the fort in January.

The horse trail ride up at the front of the Fort near the check-in area is for kids and adults. The cost is around $50-60 IIRC and the horses walk single file on the trail - trust me, they know where they're going. The ride lasts almost an hour.

Giddy Up and Go link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/horse-trail-rides/

There are pony rides at the back of the Fort at the Tri Circle D Ranch within the barnyard (this is back by the lake and Trails End). The cost is only a few dollars and riders IIRC must weigh less than 85 pounds. The pony (very small) has a rope harness and the parent holds the rope and leads the pony around the fence - again, the pony knows where he's going. The whole ride lasts five minutes.

Pony Ride link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/pony-rides/

So your son could sign up for the longer ride up by the Fort entrance (it's actually right behind the Outpost Bus Depot that takes you to the non-MK parks and DS) as a nice low key introduction to riding a horse. If you have visions of galloping through the woods and jumping over creeks, it's not THAT kind of ride. :rotfl:

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Are the horseback rides for children only, or do they have horses that adults can ride? My son (he is 13 and as large as an adult male) has been asking about riding horses, and we will be at the fort in January.

I rode with my DD10. The horses are “adult size.” No ponies on the trail ride.

The ride is very tame and good for a first time rider. I’d recommend wearing long pants. Closed toed shoes are a must. You can call ahead of time to book a time slot. Check the website for days and times it’s open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter