Horse Owners: A place for us on the Dis

I feel like every update I have to this thread is a catastrophe LOL! Had the vet out today to do a few things for my horses and some boarder's horses. Teeth floating, a hock injection, and two lameness exams...the lameness exams were two of my horses who had injured themselves a few weeks ago but weren't improving. Turns out one has a broken knee (the accessory carpal bone) and the other has a stress fracture of his navicular! What the DEUCE???

Long lay ups for both, but they will both be okay. Must be a full moon.

I feel like every update I have to this thread is a catastrophe LOL! Had the vet out today to do a few things for my horses and some boarder's horses. Teeth floating, a hock injection, and two lameness exams...the lameness exams were two of my horses who had injured themselves a few weeks ago but weren't improving. Turns out one has a broken knee (the accessory carpal bone) and the other has a stress fracture of his navicular! What the DEUCE???

Long lay ups for both, but they will both be okay. Must be a full moon.

Full moon is Saturday. :thumbsup2

Wow I hope your guys start feeling better! That totally stinks!

The adults in our family don't exchange gifts. We just buy for the kids. My 8 yr olds Christmas list was very easy this year. He wanted horse stuff, books, and skylanders lol. I also got him (which I am so excited about) a ribbon pillow made up of his ribbons that he won this year. I got the idea from his awards banquet. Someone had made a ribbon pillow for 1 of the raffle prizes and he loved it and wanted that pillow. When he didn't win the pillow the tears came I felt so bad! So I found someone online that makes them and sent her his ribbons and also a picture of him and his mare and it came out so nice! That's my favorite gift of the year :)

Awesome! Merry Christmas to all! One of my students got the bestest Christmas gift of them all yesterday...her first horse! Helped her find a beautiful 4 year old TB mare with boku talent and the best head on her shoulders Ive seen on a youngest in a while. They're too cute together!

So cool for your student, Jennasis! Of course, it reminded me of a recent cartoon:

original.jpg

My son already has the horse so now he just wants horse stuff for Xmas lol. He's starting with a new trainer after Christmas so I got his horse new jumping boots and you would of thought I got him the world lol. He was so excited about these jumping boots. I gave them to him early bc they were really stiff and I wanted him to loosen them up before his lesson next week lol.

My son already has the horse so now he just wants horse stuff for Xmas lol. He's starting with a new trainer after Christmas so I got his horse new jumping boots and you would of thought I got him the world lol. He was so excited about these jumping boots. I gave them to him early bc they were really stiff and I wanted him to loosen them up before his lesson next week lol.

When I was a kid my parents and sister got me a bunch of horse stuff for Christmas and it was like they had given me gold bars. A lunge whip and a fleece cooler along with a name plate for my horse's stall. Pure Christmas gold!

Hey, everyone - I am writing an article for Horse Canada magazine about stringhalt, and wondered if anyone here ever had a horse with that disease/condition? I'd prefer Canadian horse owners or riders if possible. I'd just like to ask you a few questions for my article. Or if you know another horse person who has experience with this, please pass my name along. Thank you!!

Sorry, Teresa - I've observed a horse with stringhalt, but that is the extent of my experience. Best wishes with your article!

In case anyone is interested - there is a new free app for horse owners that was created at the University where I work. (The basic app is free, there is an upgrade but it is also pretty inexpensive. It's aimed at helping you assess and track your horse's health and you can also use it to schedule things like vet visits and farrier visits. Here's the article I wrote about it:

http://atguelph.uoguelph.ca/2015/06/new-app-helps-horse-owners-monitor-vital-health-data/

Also, I am currently writing an article on bog spavins and bone spavins. Anyone have experience with those?

How are boarding rates in your area of the world? Granted, there are going to be wide variances for level of service, etc -- but what are some ball-park averages?

For Southern CA, I found "self-care" starting at $95/month. Facility will feed 2x/daily -- but boarder to provide feed and stall cleaning. That appears to be our extreme low end. More common self-care runs ~$125-150/m.

Full care board starts at ~$250-300/m for shared paddock/dry-pasture board with 2x/daily feeding; alfalfa and bermuda included in rate. Corrals and stalls run higher with extra services offered for turn-out, etc.

I charge $375 per month for full board and $250 for pasture. Full board is a stall, cleaned daily, bedded with pine shavings, grain 2x daily (meds and supplements as directed), hay in stalls, all day turnout on grass pastures or paddocks with round bales, use of all facilities (indoor/outdoor arena, laundry, 2 wash stalls, tack lockers, trailer parking et), blanketing in winter, fly spray/mask in summer. Pasture board is same but no stall.

I'm in mid-NC.

Thank you, Jennasis. Your pasture board is a great deal -- sounds like a great facility. (I've not used full board with a stall ... so have nothing concrete for comparison.)

I am in Guelph, Ontario and I pay $200 a month for my horse to be on pasture 24/7, with access to shelter. He gets grain and hay in the winter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter