Horse Owners: A place for us on the Dis

Thank you, Teresa! Sigh, I wish we had enough rainfall to offer pasture board 24/7 ;) We need to add feed year round.

Art -- your board has "more going on" for the added costs? Perhaps training/prep for the competition season? Thx!

Thank you, Jennasis. Your pasture board is a great deal -- sounds like a great facility. (I've not used full board with a stall ... so have nothing concrete for comparison.)

We have 33 horses right now (7 are mine, the rest are boarders). The winters are tough since it costs us a LOT in hay to feed round bales when the pastures are pretty much toast. We pull the horses off the grass pastures and move them to dry lots with multiple round bales in winter (Christmas through early April).

We also offer training, show coaching etc.

Thank you, Teresa! Sigh, I wish we had enough rainfall to offer pasture board 24/7 ;) We need to add feed year round.

Art -- your board has "more going on" for the added costs? Perhaps training/prep for the competition season? Thx!
It's $460 per month, he's kept in side and they take him out some during the day. I know it costs more with the jumping competitions starting but the $460 is for boarding.

I live near Trenton, NJ, but I board my horses in south jersey. The board there is $600/month for full board. They don't do pasture board unless something special has been set up with the owners. We have an indoor and an outdoor and we have some trails. The paddocks are a really nice size and always grassy. In the winter the horses get hay out in their paddocks bc the grass dries out. Its pretty much unlimited hay as long as your horse eats it. They are extremely accommodating and my horses are super happy there. In the summer time they go out on night turn out, but my 1 mare is afraid to be in the field at night, she's a pampered princess that was on the race track too long, and will hurt herself if left in the field all night. She would rather be in her stall infront of her fan, lol. She stays on day turnout but sometimes it gets too hot so she only goes out for a couple of hours and then they bring her in and hose her off and put her in the stall with her fan on. The horses really get spoiled there. NJ has barns all over that range in board prices. If I were to go a little north of my house to find a barn like the 1 my horses are at now the board starts at $800 and they aren't always accommodating. I should know I have looked lol. When I just had my pampered princess I was trying to find a new barn for her but she had issues (again being on the track too long, and she only had 2 owners and both pampered her, lol). She didn't like it when it rained, she didn't like the bugs, she couldn't be turned out at night...the list went on and on. I must of looked at 60 different barns and none of them were willing to take her in bc she was too spoiled lol or they said she would get use to things. I've tried to make her get use to things before and it never ended well, lol. Anyways this is the only barn that was willing to take her in with all her issues and little problems, lol. They have been good since day 1 and I've been there 7 years now. My mare has gotten better with certain things since she's gotten older, but there are still some things that she still can't stand, lol. I've always said we are never leaving this barn unless we get our own barn, but I would be the worse barn owner. I would be paranoid and would never want to leave, lol

We have 33 horses right now (7 are mine, the rest are boarders). The winters are tough since it costs us a LOT in hay to feed round bales when the pastures are pretty much toast. We pull the horses off the grass pastures and move them to dry lots with multiple round bales in winter (Christmas through early April).
Sounds like a busy barn! :) Round bales aren't very popular in my area (Southern California). I wonder why? I may try pricing them as I'm making weekly trips to the feed shop (~40 miles each way) to haul hay. Hmmm ...

It's $460 per month, he's kept in side and they take him out some during the day. I know it costs more with the jumping competitions starting but the $460 is for boarding.
I'm sure that is quite reasonable for the care offered and provided!

I live near Trenton, NJ, but I board my horses in south jersey. The board there is $600/month for full board. They don't do pasture board unless something special has been set up with the owners. We have an indoor and an outdoor and we have some trails. The paddocks are a really nice size and always grassy. In the winter the horses get hay out in their paddocks bc the grass dries out. Its pretty much unlimited hay as long as your horse eats it. They are extremely accommodating and my horses are super happy there. In the summer time they go out on night turn out, but my 1 mare is afraid to be in the field at night, she's a pampered princess that was on the race track too long, and will hurt herself if left in the field all night. She would rather be in her stall infront of her fan, lol. She stays on day turnout but sometimes it gets too hot so she only goes out for a couple of hours and then they bring her in and hose her off and put her in the stall with her fan on. The horses really get spoiled there. NJ has barns all over that range in board prices. If I were to go a little north of my house to find a barn like the 1 my horses are at now the board starts at $800 and they aren't always accommodating. I should know I have looked lol. When I just had my pampered princess I was trying to find a new barn for her but she had issues (again being on the track too long, and she only had 2 owners and both pampered her, lol). She didn't like it when it rained, she didn't like the bugs, she couldn't be turned out at night...the list went on and on. I must of looked at 60 different barns and none of them were willing to take her in bc she was too spoiled lol or they said she would get use to things. I've tried to make her get use to things before and it never ended well, lol. Anyways this is the only barn that was willing to take her in with all her issues and little problems, lol. They have been good since day 1 and I've been there 7 years now. My mare has gotten better with certain things since she's gotten older, but there are still some things that she still can't stand, lol. I've always said we are never leaving this barn unless we get our own barn, but I would be the worse barn owner. I would be paranoid and would never want to leave, lol
Wow, 7 years at the same facility. I'm jealous! Boarding places around here come/go quickly. The next stop for my two may, possibly, be "at home." As it is, I've been moved to 'self care' since 6/1 as my present facility has closed leaving my two as the only horses on the property. It has been quite an adjustment and learning opportunity for me ... and I sure hope I don't blow this. I resemble your comment re: paranoid. ;)

re: Princess
My mare was Jekyll/Hyde when I first brought her home from the track. She was soft and sweet by herself but terrified of a shared paddock environment as she was certain those large creatures (the other horses) were going to eat her. It took quite a while to acclimate her to her off-track life. Although she now gets along with a herd and understands how to fit in -- I'm still not sure sure she knows/understands that she is a horse. Oh, my. Loved your description of your mare! Thx!

Sounds like a busy barn! :) Round bales aren't very popular in my area (Southern California). I wonder why? I may try pricing them as I'm making weekly trips to the feed shop (~40 miles each way) to haul hay. Hmmm ...

I'm sure that is quite reasonable for the care offered and provided!

Wow, 7 years at the same facility. I'm jealous! Boarding places around here come/go quickly. The next stop for my two may, possibly, be "at home." As it is, I've been moved to 'self care' since 6/1 as my present facility has closed leaving my two as the only horses on the property. It has been quite an adjustment and learning opportunity for me ... and I sure hope I don't blow this. I resemble your comment re: paranoid. ;)

re: Princess
My mare was Jekyll/Hyde when I first brought her home from the track. She was soft and sweet by herself but terrified of a shared paddock environment as she was certain those large creatures (the other horses) were going to eat her. It took quite a while to acclimate her to her off-track life. Although she now gets along with a herd and understands how to fit in -- I'm still not sure sure she knows/understands that she is a horse. Oh, my. Loved your description of your mare! Thx!

I wonder if blister beetles are part of why round bales aren't popular in your neck of the woods? FYI, I'm going to be in SOCAL next month. In Riverside then L.A. for the Special Olympics World Games. I coach the USA equestrian team.

I wonder if blister beetles are part of why round bales aren't popular in your neck of the woods? FYI, I'm going to be in SOCAL next month. In Riverside then L.A. for the Special Olympics World Games. I coach the USA equestrian team.
I asked at a feedstore today regarding round bales. They said they weren't aware of any being sold in SoCal. Best reason they could muster was related to transport/storage: It is MUCH more efficient to load square bales.

I'm not far from the Riverside county line. If you welcome a visitor and the dates align, I'd enjoy cheering your team. I recall how proud you were of their accomplishments when y'all visited Del Mar a couple years back. Well done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter