• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hopping and Resort Breaks

JBelle19

Mouseketeer
Are you more of a fan of taking a break and going back to the same park you spent the morning in? Or spending the morning in one park and the late afternoon/evening in another?

We have always purchased hoppers but very rarely used them, typically ending up rope dropping and spending the whole day until close at one park.

However, this trip, we want to tour a little differently. We are a bit older and a bit fluffier than our previous trips. Our plan as of now is to rope drop, head back to our resort after lunch, then back to a different park around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and leave when we feel ready. We don't feel the need to run, run, run this time as it is the 3rd trip for our kids; also one of my favorite things is entering the parks. Just the feel of hearing the music and seeing the entrance gets me every time. Now I can do that twice for each park this trip. Not to mention, we will be there at the end of July and the heat will be insane (though we are Alabamians, so we are pretty well used to the heat).

Does anyone else tour like this? How has it worked for you?

Absolutely, we are pro mid-afternoon breaks, and hopping to a different park later in the day! We enjoy that approach a lot. Get out of that heat for a few hours - maybe find a shaded spot near a pool, or a cool indoor area to relax and prepare for the evening. Make it a fun several hours in your evening park, enjoy dinner, get to bed at a decent time in case you're rope dropping again the next morning! Enjoy and have fun!

We always do mornings in one park, lunch most times at Disney springs then back to hotel for pool or relaxing and then hit a different park later after the rain stops. This June trip we have 10 park days, previously only ever had 5, and don't have Epcot even booked. We plan on hopping to Epcot basically every day later and enjoying/snacking around the booths.

I'm big on afternoon breaks but the way I do them keeps changing. This last trip we never went back to the same park after our breaks, but in the past we have. Might be a function of where we are staying.

That's how we have always toured. We've always enjoyed it. Now that our trips are about 9-10 days (were 7 days back when) we mix it up a bit. We do a few days of RD, midday breaks and PM park. Some days we sleep in, hit the pool and hit a park early to late afternoon and sometimes hop somewhere for the last hour (MK or EP for the show). Some days we don't start our park day until the evening. We love having the flexibility of park hoppers and we do not stay in the parks from 1-4 pm. It's just too crowded and hot. If we have to be in the park at that time we hit the shows and stay in the AC.

Last edited:
I'm glad to know it is a good (and practical) plan! We really want to enjoy our first deluxe stay as well, so we are excited to spend more time at the resort

Are you more of a fan of taking a break and going back to the same park you spent the morning in? Or spending the morning in one park and the late afternoon/evening in another?

We have always purchased hoppers but very rarely used them, typically ending up rope dropping and spending the whole day until close at one park.

However, this trip, we want to tour a little differently. We are a bit older and a bit fluffier than our previous trips. Our plan as of now is to rope drop, head back to our resort after lunch, then back to a different park around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and leave when we feel ready. We don't feel the need to run, run, run this time as it is the 3rd trip for our kids; also one of my favorite things is entering the parks. Just the feel of hearing the music and seeing the entrance gets me every time. Now I can do that twice for each park this trip. Not to mention, we will be there at the end of July and the heat will be insane (though we are Alabamians, so we are pretty well used to the heat).

I used to hop but now I prefer to stay in one park per day. I do like to either go to the parks around noon and stay all day or go early and leave at noon to grab lunch and do some pool time. I like to break it up and give the park time to empty out a bit before heading back. I always enjoy my pool time and relaxing at the resort.

We totally do a pool break in the middle of the day and then park hop, usually Epcot, for dinner and evening rides. Some rides are better in the dark.

We have never not hopped. We do tend to do the afternoon break at the resort for some pool/hot tub/refreshing adult beverage time but sometimes we will leave a park and go to another resort just to tour around it. I was there solo in April and there were a few days I did 3 parks. Not on purpose, the only plans I make are park reservations because I'm forced to. Since F&G was happening I would hop over there mid-afternoon most days for some late lunch and then go back to my room then go to a different park. Before you had to wait until 2 to hop I would often accidently hop to all 4 parks. Sometimes I just hop into Epcot for something to eat or hop into MK to shop, etc.

We always do mornings in one park, lunch most times at Disney springs then back to hotel for pool or relaxing and then hit a different park later after the rain stops. This June trip we have 10 park days, previously only ever had 5, and don't have Epcot even booked. We plan on hopping to Epcot basically every day later and enjoying/snacking around the booths.
That sounds like a great plan, ending in Epcot daily, especially since for us it will be the Food & Wine Festival going on. Not looking forward so much to being there mid/end of July so a mid-day break back at the hotel sounds great.

We tour similarly, except my daughter isn’t really a morning person so we were never able to really get up for rope drop lol. Last trip we had a 10 day stay so it wasn’t a huge deal.

We stayed at Beach Club, so we would usually go to Epcot at night. Last time when we stayed at WL, we would head back to MK. I like park hopping especially for a park like Animal Kingdom.

I like rope dropping at one park then going back to the resort for lunch or right after lunch, resting, then coming back to a park at night. Those few hours in the afternoon just chilling at the resort really refresh me.

Yes! That is our plan this trip same reasons. Also last trip we planned a rest day after 4 days. We bought passes that didnt include these days so we wouldnt be tempted to push on. It was WONDERFUL. A whole day relaxing by the pool snacking, hot tubbing ahhhhhhh. This trip we have a day with no park pass planned but will be going to Mickeys Christmas party...so whole day refreshing then off to MK!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter