Homeschool Chat Part III

I agree with the others. Just use unenroll him and travel. That's more than he will get at school. Get books about the places you are going and have him read them. Have him dictate you you a summary of his day and keep a little journal for the trip. Just one or two sentences about his day.

I wouldn't do any formal school and I certainly wouldn't buy a curriculum.

Just be aware you probably arent going to get the school on board with this. Your only option might be to unenroll him and reenroll him come fall.

It is my understanding in our state, once a child is enrolled in school he is required to be there unless, the parent homeschools. My plan is to unenroll him and the reenroll him when we get back. I would like to jump through the hoop if possible, because it might be that this happens again in the next 12 years.

It is my understanding in our state, once a child is enrolled in school he is required to be there unless, the parent homeschools. My plan is to unenroll him and the reenroll him when we get back. I would like to jump through the hoop if possible, because it might be that this happens again in the next 12 years.

A lot depends on what state you live in. You could un-enroll him to homeschool and the trip itself could be the entire "curriculum" you used. Most of the time there is a lot of autonomy about what constitutes your child's education. Also, I don't know of any state that requires you to homeschool through the summer. You're talking 6 weeks at the end of first grade. See if the teachers will give you whatever workbooks they are using if you want to finish out some things. Do some read alouds that correspond to the places you're going. Another option is to pick up one of those Big Book of Learning or What Your Child Needs to Know workbooks that goes by grade level and do a page out of each section (ie. math, writing, spelling, phonics) a few times per week. I've done this as a summer supplement in the past and it works well enough.

dis-happy said:
A lot depends on what state you live in. You could un-enroll him to homeschool and the trip itself could be the entire "curriculum" you used. Most of the time there is a lot of autonomy about what constitutes your child's education. Also, I don't know of any state that requires you to homeschool through the summer. You're talking 6 weeks at the end of first grade. See if the teachers will give you whatever workbooks they are using if you want to finish out some things. Do some read alouds that correspond to the places you're going. Another option is to pick up one of those Big Book of Learning or What Your Child Needs to Know workbooks that goes by grade level and do a page out of each section (ie. math, writing, spelling, phonics) a few times per week. I've done this as a summer supplement in the past and it works well enough.

I agree. It largely depends on the state. In Fl, we have very flexible homeschooling laws. There is no curriculum approval and no attendance requirements. So, you could call it quits now and be fine, although I wouldn't necessarily advocate that. Your child would still have to pass an evaluation. But in other states, laws are much more rigid. Check with your state homeschooling organization(s).

I have been homeschooling my 6.5 year old son for 2 years now. He excels in math and science, but really struggles with reading, letter sounds, etc. After reading many articles online I am beginning to suspect he has dyslexia. I am interested in having him tested to identify where his specific weakness are and to get a better idea of how best to help him. I am having trouble finding resources for homeschoolers in this situation. Everything seems to be geared toward public educated children. Does anyone have any suggestions?

jacksmomma said:
I have been homeschooling my 6.5 year old son for 2 years now. He excels in math and science, but really struggles with reading, letter sounds, etc. After reading many articles online I am beginning to suspect he has dyslexia. I am interested in having him tested to identify where his specific weakness are and to get a better idea of how best to help him. I am having trouble finding resources for homeschoolers in this situation. Everything seems to be geared toward public educated children. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Check out the 1st and 2nd grade language arts extension sections of time4learning.

When we writes or tries to spell out a word, does he flip the letters? ie was=saw

Our DD, did/does this. She does this with numbers( 46 is 64 ), when she tries to spell long words, she will flip the syllables and reverse the letters. Made learning to read difficult. But she did it. She has learned to also slow down alittle cause she still flips everything :upsidedow

As for testing, a friend was referred to an ENT and than to a speech therapist. The ENT was because their son was having difficulty hearing. That had to be fixed first. It was only 1 ear and not a major deal. But it was enough of a hearing issue for their son that he could not hear/distinguish/make the sounds correctly. The therapist aided both their boys in learning to read.

My friend took her ds to an expensive therapist for this (they had to lay a lot of $$$ out of pocket even with insurance)...also, they weren't homeschoolers but in a private school. One thing that stood out to me is that the therapist used the Explode the Code workbooks with him. Maybe you could start there and see if he improves....they are cheap and easy to use.

I was wondering about all you fellow homeschoolers using Abeka. We started using it this year, and we really like it. DD is doing the 6th grade program and DS is doing the 2nd grade program. I am thinking about letting DD start the DVD/streaming program when she starts 9th grade. I know this is some time away, but I feel a little intimidated teaching high school. I may be being ridiculous, but I wondered if any of you had tried it and had any thoughts on it. Most everyone I've heard has used the book system. Mainly I was just wondering if it has been easy to deal with?

I was wondering about all you fellow homeschoolers using Abeka. We started using it this year, and we really like it. DD is doing the 6th grade program and DS is doing the 2nd grade program. I am thinking about letting DD start the DVD/streaming program when she starts 9th grade. I know this is some time away, but I feel a little intimidated teaching high school. I may be being ridiculous, but I wondered if any of you had tried it and had any thoughts on it. Most everyone I've heard has used the book system. Mainly I was just wondering if it has been easy to deal with?

I was worried about teaching high school, so I went back to Abeka. Seeing how it is written for a school and a recognized curriculm.

That being said. Depending on your child and how they learn, you can very well teach high school without using the DVD. Although, high school was better the first time around. :rotfl2: My DD uses the books and is a self study type person. When she has an issue, she comes to me. Than if Mom or Dad can't figure out the problem, than we go on a research mission. Makes for great school.

You are smart to think about this now.

We use Abeka and have for years ( for our core not the entire program) i'm also debating the dvd system as my oldest still home is starting 6th grade soon and I need to be thinking ahead!

Hello everyone!!
**Wipes Dust Off Screen Name!!**
I have not been on the DIS in 4 years and of all the places to go when we begin a new adventure as a family, it's the DIS of course! LOL!!!

Well, my name is Michelle and I am a SAHM mom to 3. We are NOT homeschoolers right now, but will be starting next year. Our kids are in a private school right now and have been since they started going to school. We have become quite unhappy with the school this year and as it's progressed our unhappiness has sunk deeper.

We plan on using Seton Homeschool with Saxon Math.

If you can share any tips, please do I am sooooo nervous! My husband has so much faith in me and I'm so scared my knees are knocking together.

My children will be in First Grade, Second Grade & 4th Grade next year. :hippie:

Welcome to homeschooling.:banana::banana: You will find plenty of support for you and your family on your journey. I would start now, look for support groups in your area - go check them out now. (Don't pay any money to join a group until you have been to a few of their meetings to see if they are a fit for you and your family.) See if there are yahoo groups that line up with the way you plan to homeschool. Read books on homeschooling - you can never read to many - you will find some that seem to speak to you and provide inspiration. Plan your first homeschool family vacation in the fall, the prices are lower and so are the crowds, we love to go to Disney during off season. Check out your local zoos and museums, often they offer special classes for homeschool kids in the fall. Get library cards, find out if there are used bookstores close by, find out if there are any homeschool conventions this spring in your area (try not to buy, just go to get inspired and make lists of thing you might like to use.) Ask questions, we love to share what we've learned and are still learning.
We are a family of life long learners and it really goes by VERY fast, so hold on to your hat and enjoy the special times you all will have together.:hug:

Welcome to homeschooling.:banana::banana: You will find plenty of support for you and your family on your journey. I would start now, look for support groups in your area - go check them out now. (Don't pay any money to join a group until you have been to a few of their meetings to see if they are a fit for you and your family.) See if there are yahoo groups that line up with the way you plan to homeschool. Read books on homeschooling - you can never read to many - you will find some that seem to speak to you and provide inspiration. Plan your first homeschool family vacation in the fall, the prices are lower and so are the crowds, we love to go to Disney during off season. Check out your local zoos and museums, often they offer special classes for homeschool kids in the fall. Get library cards, find out if there are used bookstores close by, find out if there are any homeschool conventions this spring in your area (try not to buy, just go to get inspired and make lists of thing you might like to use.) Ask questions, we love to share what we've learned and are still learning.
We are a family of life long learners and it really goes by VERY fast, so hold on to your hat and enjoy the special times you all will have together.:hug:

Thank you so much!!! I didn't know about Yahoo, so I am excited to check that out :) We have been getting in touch with groups from our church and another family that is leaving the same school we are. We already have library cards and the schedule for events for homeschoolers so that we can just check out what they have. We have museum and zoo memberships and have also taken their catalogs. We have thought about homeschooling for years but this is our first foray into it. We are going to a conference this summer but we are looking for one in the Spring still.

We only go to Disney in the Off season, this is our first year with no Disney (just bought a house!!) and it's driving us bananas! LOL :banana:

Question #1
How do you handle homeschooling children at different levels? I'm nervous about giving each child their due time.

Question #2
My oldest 2 love to do work at home, they have workbooks that they LOVE to do and LOOOOOVE to read to no end. My youngest loves to play. He is a different type of learner than the older 2. How do I cater to him?

Thank you!!

Thank you so much!!! I didn't know about Yahoo, so I am excited to check that out :) We have been getting in touch with groups from our church and another family that is leaving the same school we are. We already have library cards and the schedule for events for homeschoolers so that we can just check out what they have. We have museum and zoo memberships and have also taken their catalogs. We have thought about homeschooling for years but this is our first foray into it. We are going to a conference this summer but we are looking for one in the Spring still.

We only go to Disney in the Off season, this is our first year with no Disney (just bought a house!!) and it's driving us bananas! LOL :banana:

Question #1
How do you handle homeschooling children at different levels? I'm nervous about giving each child their due time.

Question #2
My oldest 2 love to do work at home, they have workbooks that they LOVE to do and LOOOOOVE to read to no end. My youngest loves to play. He is a different type of learner than the older 2. How do I cater to him?

Thank you!!

I am by no means an expert, but I have a 2nd grader and a 6th grader that I teach at the same table. My son (2nd grader) loves to listen to his sister's lessons, and he actually has learned quite a bit from it. She also chimes in and helps him with his stuff. It's kind of worked itself out for us. DS has some issues staying on task, but I chalk that up to him being an 8 year old boy. It's definitely different from what they were used to in public school, but they love it! Today, for example, they both participated in a science experiment from DD's book. We are learning what works for us by trial and error. I hope my rambling makes sense!:goodvibes

We are not homeschoolers.. but my 9th grader is interested in taking a Latin 1class and our school has discontinued it. Any recommendations for something online? Thanks!

DisneyMommyMichelle said:

Question #1

Question #2

Thank you!!

Congratulations! so exciting! We work together, all at one table. It's funny when my 5yo son knows the answer to my questions for my 8yo daughter--especially when she doesn't! It's a great learning opportunity all around. The youngers pick up more than you can ever imagine. And the olders learn to lead the youngers. My son wanders around a lot and spins around in the chair and they both take work out onto the porch and it doesn't look at all like a "classroom" sometimes.

It's not all utopia, of course. My daughter doesn't understand why her brother has so much less school. It drives her batty sometimes, but it's great for her patience, if nothing else!

And school takes a bit longer with multiples because you have to manage the individual lessons that can't be shared (especially math and reading). This is when workbooks and independent reading are helpful. I'm not big on workbooks generally, BUT they have their place in our school for phonics and such. My kindergartener listens in on history, Bible, and Science. He's also picked up a good bit of Latin, grammar, and math in the meantime. When he was three he would remind his sister to "hold your pencil properly!" I guess he'd heard that a time or two. But mostly he plays and "reads" at his level. When I think about kindergarten, all I remember is play time and the Letter People ( for phonics). There must have been other stuff, but that's my idea of a perfect kindergarten!

My biggest advice for new homeschoolers, though, is to take it easy your first year. Seriously, your days will never ever be what you plan. Let it go and use your first year to rethink what you consider "school" to be. My homeschooling mentor always said you need to take a month to "detox" for every year you traditional-schooled. You need at least that much time to get the old habits and mindsets out and the new in.

Sorry to be a little long-winded, but it's always exciting to see a new homeschooling family start their journey!

I am by no means an expert, but I have a 2nd grader and a 6th grader that I teach at the same table. My son (2nd grader) loves to listen to his sister's lessons, and he actually has learned quite a bit from it. She also chimes in and helps him with his stuff. It's kind of worked itself out for us. DS has some issues staying on task, but I chalk that up to him being an 8 year old boy. It's definitely different from what they were used to in public school, but they love it! Today, for example, they both participated in a science experiment from DD's book. We are learning what works for us by trial and error. I hope my rambling makes sense!:goodvibes

Yes, it does make sense :worship: and I much appreciate it!

Congratulations! so exciting! We work together, all at one table. It's funny when my 5yo son knows the answer to my questions for my 8yo daughter--especially when she doesn't! It's a great learning opportunity all around. The youngers pick up more than you can ever imagine. And the olders learn to lead the youngers. My son wanders around a lot and spins around in the chair and they both take work out onto the porch and it doesn't look at all like a "classroom" sometimes.

It's not all utopia, of course. My daughter doesn't understand why her brother has so much less school. It drives her batty sometimes, but it's great for her patience, if nothing else!

And school takes a bit longer with multiples because you have to manage the individual lessons that can't be shared (especially math and reading). This is when workbooks and independent reading are helpful. I'm not big on workbooks generally, BUT they have their place in our school for phonics and such. My kindergartener listens in on history, Bible, and Science. He's also picked up a good bit of Latin, grammar, and math in the meantime. When he was three he would remind his sister to "hold your pencil properly!" I guess he'd heard that a time or two. But mostly he plays and "reads" at his level. When I think about kindergarten, all I remember is play time and the Letter People ( for phonics). There must have been other stuff, but that's my idea of a perfect kindergarten!

My biggest advice for new homeschoolers, though, is to take it easy your first year. Seriously, your days will never ever be what you plan. Let it go and use your first year to rethink what you consider "school" to be. My homeschooling mentor always said you need to take a month to "detox" for every year you traditional-schooled. You need at least that much time to get the old habits and mindsets out and the new in.

Sorry to be a little long-winded, but it's always exciting to see a new homeschooling family start their journey!

Thank you so very much!!!!! I am loving all the advice, I do have 1 room set up with our 'homework' center and I can easily see it evolving into our classroom with a few tweaks. My children are all taking Latin together right now, so I love the fact that I can continue doing this with them and the rest of it all in one 'room' so that they can absorb what the others are learning.

Thank you everyone for helping out!

Our next concern is fighting family members (especially our parents) who are determined to let us know we are doing the wrong thing constantly.

DisneyMommyMichelle said:
Our next concern is fighting family members (especially our parents) who are determined to let us know we are doing the wrong thing constantly.

They'll probably come around. My parents were against us homeschooling when we started 6 years ago, and now they tell me what a good decision it was/is. Even if your families don't come around, you do what's best for your kids and try not to let it bother you. I still have a couple of family members that don't get it. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter