Homemade Holiday Presents! Lets help each other! Ideas WANTED!

I would LOVE to get this for Christmas. It's more work than I think u think. But a treasure to be passed down. U r very thoughtful.:love:

I made a family cookbook a few years ago. I usually make up a copy when one of my cousins gets married and give it to them for their shower gift.

I used a recipe program called Key Home Gourmet. I bought this many years ago, so I don't know if it is still around. There are probably better ones out now.

I have them spiral bound at Kinkos. I put a clear plastic cover on the front. Plus a vinyl front and back. If the cookbooks actually get used, the plastic and vinyl are nice protection.

Maggie

Do you have any pictures of your Christmas themed ones? I am going to start on mine this weekend and would love to see some inspiration! :)

I wish I had a picture, but I don't. I think I will actually start on mine next weekend. I bought socks after Christmas last year, so I will work on those and take a photo. I love the idea of the hot chocolate mix, so that is a definite idea for me!

Coming out of lurkdom- I did not read all the responses yet so if I repeat, I will apologize now...I love this thread!:lovestruc

Last year I made a quilted table runner for my mom with christmas fabrics and a throw pillow for my dad (he loves pillows on the couch but he is hard on them):goodvibes

This year for youngest DD (age 4) I am in the process of making doll clothes for her Bitty Baby, and will see if DH & DS can build a small closet/wardrobe to hold them.:cutie:

And just finishing up the last "quillow" for oldest DD ...these are not for Christmas, they are for our Disney trip in October- I refuse to pay a rental fee for the gross little thin blankets on the plane...:scared1:

For those who arent familiar with them: a Quillow is a quilt/pillow...there was a vendor at work selling fleece ones for over $50 each and I thought "I can make those for so much less!" so when fleece went on sale I picked different patterns for each child (dd 17, ds 10, dd 4) and all it consist of is a rectangular blanket with a pocket centered on one end- you fold the blanket into 3rds and tuck it into the pocket and it becomes a pillow. I had some extra fleece so made seperate matching pillows and will make scarves from the rest. :love:

I do homemade gifts every year. For my brother in law who LOVES cookie dough I make up a batch (minus the eggs as it's never going to be cooked) and freeze it in decorative containers.

For grandparents I've made CDs/DVDs of home movies and photos

I also pick up the boxes etc. throughout the year so I get them really inexpensive.

In fact, I picked up from Michael's a set of 4 decorative boxes for $2.00 last week and have now checked everyone off my christmas list.

I didn't read the whole thread, sorry if this has been mentioned already. I made photo bracelets one year for the grandmas using kits I got at Michael's for less than $5.00. They were very well received. Using black and white photos they are really cute. Kind of like these......

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19ZC2ZA0Q6VZGNWBGPEK

I love the photo bracelet idea! I've been taking lots of photos of my daughters and nephews but I was stumped for a good photo-themed gift idea. for my mother. The bracelet is a perfect idea for one very proud grandmother. Thanks for your suggestion.

I have started a little tradition where my DD makes her gifts for our family... We have made - Photo Orenaments, Little Boxes (she painted and decorated), Photo Frames with a picture of her of course. Micheals is a great place do look for ideas... This year I have not quiet decided what we are going to do but i am thinking about tee shirts for the grandparents with her hand prints on them and then still thinking on the rest of the family (anuts and uncles and great grandparents)

I love to read as do many of my friends. One friend gives me a book each year that she has particularly enjoyed and thinks I will also enjoy. With it she includes some special hot chocolate or tea and some kind of premium chocolate bar. I always look forward to reading the book while enjoying the yummy treats. It's not expensive but in our group of friends who are all starting our families, we often don't splurge on nicer chocolates or books for ourselves.

An inexpensive, unique and easy-to-care for gift:
Succulent clippings + salvaged wood frame = vertical succulent hanging

Also, I'm making reusable cloth snack bags for an eco-conscious family member.

Photo key chains I put DD's christmas pic in the photo frame an hung it on familys trees as we visited over the holidays (I have a pic of DD for all her 20 yrs of life out of those key chains on my tree.

1 yr when DD was 13 an very ill she drew Charlie Brown christmas cards for everyone in family those turned out very nice.

This year I'm making tissue paper flowers very easy to make yet very elegant last much longer than real flowers an just as pretty. Very cheap too....I made about 3 dozen white ones that I touched with silver glitter spray paint for my parents 60th anniversary last month they was a huge hit.

An inexpensive, unique and easy-to-care for gift:
Succulent clippings + salvaged wood frame = vertical succulent hanging

Also, I'm making reusable cloth snack bags for an eco-conscious family member.

Had to google and that is really cool! Love the idea.

GREAT thread....haven't read it all yet, but I'll throw in my idea...

A few years ago I did make a family recipe book...asked for everyone's favorites and used the recipe cards on www.smilebox.com..SO cute. Printed them up as 4x6 pictures and put them in a nice recipe binder.

I found this on-line years ago and have yet to make them, now that my kids are both in school I think we'll do it this year....antique tea cup candles
http://www.wineonthekeyboard.com/2008/10/15/candle/ I think this would look cute in the tea basket idea I saw posted a few pages back. Or a coffee basket made with dark brown wax and coffee scented oil in a small coffee mug or cappuccino cup and saucer.

I found this on-line years ago and have yet to make them, now that my kids are both in school I think we'll do it this year....antique tea cup candles
http://www.wineonthekeyboard.com/2008/10/15/candle/ I think this would look cute in the tea basket idea I saw posted a few pages back. Or a coffee basket made with dark brown wax and coffee scented oil in a small coffee mug or cappuccino cup and saucer.

That is a really cute idea! Maybe I will check out the goodwill and some garage sales this weekend for cups and saucers!:wizard:

I love to read as do many of my friends. One friend gives me a book each year that she has particularly enjoyed and thinks I will also enjoy. With it she includes some special hot chocolate or tea and some kind of premium chocolate bar. I always look forward to reading the book while enjoying the yummy treats. It's not expensive but in our group of friends who are all starting our families, we often don't splurge on nicer chocolates or books for ourselves.

I think I'm going to combine these two ideas to make gift baskets! I have NO artistic talent, but I think even I can do this. My daughter who is a newlywed and a student has to live on a tight budget. She'll love this! Thanks! :thumbsup2

That is a really cute idea! Maybe I will check out the goodwill and some garage sales this weekend for cups and saucers!:wizard:

Great idea for places to search! :cool1:

Ok so anyone make candles here? Husband used to make candles just for fun and was thinking it would be fun-- add scents and colors...Just wondering about where you'd find supplies cheapest.

** Update:

Yeah so I'm completely excited about this now. I've decided on soy wax as it is 100% American product and not petroleum like paraffin. Lol-- who woulda thought? We have a honey store here in Eugene producers of local honey that sells really nice wax for the going price.
I'd love beeswax but it's expensive. Now I'm gonna want jars. I'm thinking canning jars would be nice and cheap.

subbing!

I know earlier someone had mentioned Chex Muddy Buddies, I make a version at holiday time that uses chex mix (9 cups), 1 package of melted white chocolate chips, cheerios, m&ms, and pretzels. We gave them to DH's team at work, teachers, crossing guard, neighbors...Can't beat it! I used small holiday treat bags for some, and for the bigger containers I had my DD4 decorate plastic containers with foam winter cutouts.

I think Alton Brown has a recipe like this and calls it "white trash". I just adore him.

Looking for more ideas. :santa:

The last couple of years I have made small gift baskets as party favors. The first year I had 2 pint jar soup mixes and a cornbered mix in a bag. Last year I made dips in a bag, a small decorative bowl (kohl's- huge discount prior year), spreader and a box of crackers.

This year I was thinking about doing a breakfast theme, muffin mix in a jar, and pancakes mix in a jar. Anybody have any good jar recipes that they have tried??? I want to add something else. Any suggestions?? :confused3 I was debating on the Kool Aid jelly.

I make about 16-20 so I try to keep the price reasonable.

Gifts in jars-

I found this and thought it might be cute for those kids that have to do a daily journal theme.

Or even as a freebie teacher gift- for those kids that are always asking "what should I write about"

http://christmas.organizedhome.com/gifts-in-a-jar/childs-journal-jar

My step father makes wine hot plates- I have one that he made me that I LOVE.
You have to drink wine to get the corks-so I have started saving them for him.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6058577_make-wine-cork-hot-plates.html

is just one site with ideas on how to do it. My SD actually makes his own frames-simple woodworking project.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter