Homemade FE gifts - Part 2

For our first time doing FEs I got a bunch of composition notebooks (.39 ea at Big Lots!) and covered the front with different designs of Disney paper. I figured it could be for a trip journal, autographs or whatever! We were overwhelmed with the generosity and our kids loved it. If I knew I were doing another cruise, I would definitely start WAY ahead of time looking for Disney / Pirate themed stuff or things out of which I could make bulk crafts pretty easily. As it was, I joined our FE group about 2 weeks before sailing date, so I had to do something that I could make quickly.

We did 2 FE deliveries on our recent 5night Dream cruise. 1st delivery was on the first night- a water bottle I customized and put a few candies inside (would have liked to put more but my budget was bursting! We're from SF so had to put the Ghirardelli's in there)
bottle2.jpg

bottle1.jpg

bottle3.jpg

(special thanks to fellow DISer cctimmom for sending me the photos since I forgot to take any).
I tried to do this as one bottle per person but we had a number of late FE joiners...those cabins only got one per child. Also put an itinerary specific magnet on each cabin door with this delivery.

Then on Pirate night we did a paper bag (one per cabin) my DDs decorated with Pirate stickers that had a tube of glow bracelets ($1 at Michaels), chocolate coins, some pirate magnets (little painted wood pirate stuff that I found in a 4 pack/$1 at Michaels and added magnet tape to), and an eyepatch.

I got the water bottles from www.discountmugs.com but I looked at a lot of similar promo product websites (you can order 'blanks' from basically all of them). That site just happened to have a suitable bottle on clearance and a coupon code.

I cut the vinyl with my Cricut. However, I have a software program (Make the Cut) that allows me to cut anything I want from my computer with my Cricut (which I bought specifically for this purpose for another project- software + cricut was $160 at the time). Since then, this software maker and another similar one were sued by Provo Craft (makers of the Cricut) and the software is no longer available for use with Cricut machines. It does work with some other craft cutters but I don't know much about them. Googling may find you another way to use MTC with a Cricut but YMMV with that.

I just don't upgrade my software and cut away...

Oh- and I buy the vinyl on Amazon from a marketplace seller. The Cricut brand vinyl is ridiculously expensive.

I've made bottles as kids party favors too...usually end up spending around $4-6 per bottle depending on how good a deal I can find on water bottles. I've heard that Dollar stores often have basic metal water bottles now too but I wanted one with a sipper type top.

Love those water bottles! We made a similar item for my daughter's Hunger Games-themed 12th birthday party this summer with double-walled tumblers from Dollar Tree. They also had aluminum ones, but DD liked the clear better. (I have SCAL and a Cricut, but am planning on upgrading to a Cameo at some point). We stuffed them full of candy too.

TumblerMockingjay.jpg

DisneyMom76 said:
Love the ideas! I have a few months til the next cruise so now I must begin to brainstorm! Anyone else going June 15 2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean?

We r! There is a group on FB and on DISboards for that sailing. Not super active right now at 44 weeks out, but it will pick up closer to sailing. Hope to see u on board! :)

I know I'm getting off topic but I'd like to hear more about the Hunger Games party. I'm thinking of doing a Hunger Games movie night party for adults when the DVD comes out.

For our first time doing FEs I got a bunch of composition notebooks (.39 ea at Big Lots!) and covered the front with different designs of Disney paper. I figured it could be for a trip journal, autographs or whatever! We were overwhelmed with the generosity and our kids loved it. If I knew I were doing another cruise, I would definitely start WAY ahead of time looking for Disney / Pirate themed stuff or things out of which I could make bulk crafts pretty easily. As it was, I joined our FE group about 2 weeks before sailing date, so I had to do something that I could make quickly.

LOVE this idea. How did you apply the paper? Did you coat it at all? I'd love more details, as I may "borrow" this idea for our cruise next month. Did you do one per cabin, or do individual ones for the kids?

LOVE this idea. How did you apply the paper? Did you coat it at all? I'd love more details, as I may "borrow" this idea for our cruise next month. Did you do one per cabin, or do individual ones for the kids?

I just used spray adhesive for the paper and I didn't coat it. Since I used 2 different kinds of paper on each notebook I needed to apply some kind of ribbon to put over the line where the paper changed, but I had a hard time making the ribbon stick. I finally found a scotch tape-sized roll of black tape with white polka dots on it in the scrapbooking section at Target - worked perfectly as an accent! I would have preferred red with black dots, but beggars can't be choosers! The only caveat about this was that, since I did one for each person (32) I had to pretty much fill up one carry-on with these and it was heavy! Not a huge deal, though, since they take your luggage from you as soon as you get outside the port, and then I had an empty suitcase ready for the return trip home! :) If I had any idea how to post pictures here, I would. :rotfl: However, when I get to the FE part of our trip on my blog, I will try to remember to post back here and let you know so you can see the picture there! They were super-quick to make, and I found Disney themed paper in the clearance bin at Jo-Ann!

tinkeramy said:
I just used spray adhesive for the paper and I didn't coat it. Since I used 2 different kinds of paper on each notebook I needed to apply some kind of ribbon to put over the line where the paper changed, but I had a hard time making the ribbon stick. I finally found a scotch tape-sized roll of black tape with white polka dots on it in the scrapbooking section at Target - worked perfectly as an accent! I would have preferred red with black dots, but beggars can't be choosers! The only caveat about this was that, since I did one for each person (32) I had to pretty much fill up one carry-on with these and it was heavy! Not a huge deal, though, since they take your luggage from you as soon as you get outside the port, and then I had an empty suitcase ready for the return trip home! :) If I had any idea how to post pictures here, I would. :rotfl: However, when I get to the FE part of our trip on my blog, I will try to remember to post back here and let you know so you can see the picture there! They were super-quick to make, and I found Disney themed paper in the clearance bin at Jo-Ann!

I've been doing this for a few years for my kids for school. I even do this to spirals but they take awhile due to all the holes. Turns a cheap notebook into something that looks like it cost quite a bit more. Anyway, DD has received so many compliments on them so I'm sure everyone loved your gift! I considered it for ourPanama Canal cruise but we had so many cabins (almost 100) I knew they would be too heavy.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Can anybody tell me how to make the bottle caps with the Disney designs inside them? They are so cute? Do you buy them this way or can you make them?

Now that my cruise is over I can post these lol We made Picture frames for the women, NY themed cds for the men, bracelets for the teen-20s girls for the kids we did bags filled with crafts, flip flops candy (not pictured), and jewelry/treasure box for our FE organizer
photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php
[
I can't open the pics. Can you repost?Thanks.

Can anybody tell me how to make the bottle caps with the Disney designs inside them? They are so cute? Do you buy them this way or can you make them?

My daughter and I made bottle cap necklaces, key chains and magnets (I posted pics a page or two back)

They were really easy to make and we had fun!

I ordered the bottle caps on etsy from a seller named fizzypops just search for her. I used her a few times as we did bottle cap crafts for a fundraiser as well as a birthday party. She sends out her stuff immediately and it comes usually 3 or 4 days after ordering.

She sells the silicone sticky discs and the bottle caps in a 'kit' so you can get just what you need.

We made necklaces for the women, key chains for the men and magnets for the cabin.

As for the designs, I just did an etsy search to find images. If you search Disney Magic, there is a woman who should come up who sells that image for all 4 ships. This is one of the magnets we made. She also did a custom one for me with Mickey's head over the Nova Scotia plaid, as we were on the Canadian cruise. I liked this 'special meaning'....and she did the necklace image that said Keep Calm and Cruise on with a small Mickey head.

If you can't find her, let me know and I will search my etsy account.

The images from her were inexpensive (maybe $4 for a sheet of at least 16) and you can print these as many times as you want at home. Honestly, I thought she under charged as she even went back and fixed something for me!

I really recommend her and she might be able to custom something for your cruise.

If you want basic Disney characters, there are tons by different sellers on etsy, usually at $1-$2/sheet.

hope this helps. as I said, they were super easy and my 13 year old loved making them with me!

We did 2 FE deliveries on our recent 5night Dream cruise. 1st delivery was on the first night- a water bottle I customized and put a few candies inside (would have liked to put more but my budget was bursting! We're from SF so had to put the Ghirardelli's in there)
bottle2.jpg

bottle1.jpg

bottle3.jpg

(special thanks to fellow DISer cctimmom for sending me the photos since I forgot to take any).
I tried to do this as one bottle per person but we had a number of late FE joiners...those cabins only got one per child. Also put an itinerary specific magnet on each cabin door with this delivery.

Then on Pirate night we did a paper bag (one per cabin) my DDs decorated with Pirate stickers that had a tube of glow bracelets ($1 at Michaels), chocolate coins, some pirate magnets (little painted wood pirate stuff that I found in a 4 pack/$1 at Michaels and added magnet tape to), and an eyepatch.

We were one of the lucky recipients of the water bottles, candy, magnet & pirate goodies!!! I LOVED it all!!! You have also gotten me hooked on ginger chews, which I can't find the chimes brand here in FL, boo. :(. Thanks again!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter