Hit the Beach! July Exercise Challenge

Just found this page - this could be just what I need to get in shape for my Food and Wine trip in late September! I'll sign up for 30 minutes a day = 660 prorated (LOL), barring any more super heat waves in the northeast! I actually got 20 minutes walking to and from the beach today - I'll try for more after dinner!

Wow, what a great day, with so many people reporting and a brand-new team member!

:cheer2:Cheers to GrandAdmiralStrife and DISbot for turning Beach Chair Blue! :cheer2:
:cheer2:And more cheers to piglet1979 and Elizabeth Smith for turning Cooler Orange!! :cheer2:

image.png

Our next Disney beach is a bit north along the coast from VBR. Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, located in the Shelter Cove Harbour area of Hilton Head Island in South Carolina, is about a 5-hour drive from WDW. It opened March 1, 1996. Themed to "South Carolina Lowcountry" and modeled after a 1940s hunting and fishing lodge, with 81 villas it is the smallest DVC resort.

With typical Disney flair, there is a backstory about the resort's origins. The story attributes the resort to the Edmund family, who vacationed at Hilton Head for generations. Allegedly it was Royce Edmund's great-grandfather who chose the location, and his father who commissioned architects in the 1940s to design the home for the entire family.

(image from hiltonhead.disney.go.com)

Last edited:

Congratulations to vikdeco, me, and the TEAM for turning Cooler Orange!

Part of HHI's backstory involves the resort's living mascot -- Shadow the Golden Retriever. The story goes that when the resort was under construction, a Golden Retriever puppy showed up at the construction site and stayed around. She got her name because she stuck closer than a shadow and has been at the resort ever since. You can see evidence of Shadow around the resort, including a dog house and dog bowl as well as doggie paw prints in the concrete. She visits the resort in person with her handler, folklore expert B'Lou Crabbe, and guests can attend scheduled "Funny Bunny Hunts" (a bunny search through the resort) and "Shadow's Tales" meet-n-greets.

There's a super cute picture of Shadow with her CM badge at the Disney Parks Blog.

Congratulations BonnieF on turning Beach Chair Blue! And PollyannaMom is *this* close to Cooler Orange!

HHI is a bit different than VBR in that it doesn't sit right on the beach. Actually, it's on Broad Creek. The beach is about 1.3 miles away; transportation options include a Disney-provided shuttle, a walking/bike path, or your own car. At the beach, you'll find Disney's Beach House, which offers numerous amenities such as a lounge, a snack bar and bar, a sun deck and an H-shaped pool, showers and changing rooms, and recreational options. The beach itself is open all the time, but the Beach House has set hours.

image.png

Image of the Beach House from hiltonhead.disney.go.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!