Hiring a dog walker /off-site in Orlando

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
We're planning an off-site trip, and my daughter asked that we choose a place that allows pets. If she brings her dog, we may bring ours too. We'll be staying 9 days /going to the parks 4 days.

We'd want to hire a dog walker for the 4 park days. Questions:

- I'd love to hear any personal experiences.
- Any specific companies to recommend?
- What's it likely to cost for a walker to take care of 2 dogs for 4 days?
- I'm thinking we'd pay the walker to come to the rental house /spend about an hour with the dogs mid-day; that is, let them out of their crates, give them treats, take them on a good long walk.
- Are rental companies okay with dog walkers coming to the house? I mean, I'd be giving access to someone I don't actually know.

I have no experience with this, but I wonder - maybe you could ask whatever rental company/person you are using to recommend a dog walking service? If the rental is pet friendly, it may be be the first time they have had the question and might be able to recommend someone.

I have no experience with this, but I wonder - maybe you could ask whatever rental company/person you are using to recommend a dog walking service? If the rental is pet friendly, it may be be the first time they have had the question and might be able to recommend someone.
Thanks, that's a good idea.

Seems like a long time for the dogs to be in a crate. Maybe you should have them come at least twice a day

You're a tourist and therefore will head back home after your trip.
They could do something to the dogs (not saying on purpose) and you may not be immediately aware.
They could also overcharge you and you not be immediately aware.
They could take your belongings and you may not be immediately aware.
They may lose control of your dogs and they could be lost.

A lot of things could go wrong and you may not be able to take legal action once home.

If it were me, I would only bring my pet if I were going to have enough time to properly take care of it myself.
Otherwise I'd have someone I know and trust take care of it or ask my vet for boarding recommendations as I trust my vet.

You're a tourist and therefore will head back home after your trip.
They could do something to the dogs (not saying on purpose) and you may not be immediately aware.
They could also overcharge you and you not be immediately aware.
They could take your belongings and you may not be immediately aware.
They may lose control of your dogs and they could be lost.

A lot of things could go wrong and you may not be able to take legal action once home.

If it were me, I would only bring my pet if I were going to have enough time to properly take care of it myself.
Otherwise I'd have someone I know and trust take care of it or ask my vet for boarding recommendations as I trust my vet.
I was thinking of going through an established company -- not an individual. The things you mention are not likely to happen with a company (a company that's licensed and bonded) that hopes to stay in business long-term.

I hear what you're saying, but these things don't seem particularly realistic to me -- service businesses are big in touristy areas.
Maybe take them to a local doggy daycare for the day. That way they wouldn’t be in a crate in a strange place by themselves all day.
I have a couple thoughts:

- My dogs have attended doggie day cares occasionally here at home (in fact, one of my children worked at once for a while), and before the dogs could attend, they had to go through an "interview day" in which they proved they could get along with other dogs. Since we're not residents of Orlando, how could they do their interview?
- I'm suspicious that places that don't require the "interview" will keep dogs in pens all day /they won't really be out playing and interacting with other dogs. With that in mind, I'm wondering whether this would be any better than staying in our rental house with the other dog -- I'm thinking now that a garage would be a good place for the dogs to spend the day.
- Can anyone recommend doggie day cares near Disney?
- We're going to be in Orlando for 9 days and only 4 will be "park days". So the dogs will be with the family for 5 of the 9 days.

For myself, I would board my dog at the dog hotel I utilize back at home. I would feel safer with people I know, and my dog knows and likes. They have my vet's number and emergency number and could quickly take care of her should she have a medical emergency. I would not fear her bolting or getting away. It has a big enclosed field for playtime and climate controlled kennels for the rest of the time. I pay for extra private "cuddle time" each day. It is a routine she is used to. If your dog and your daughter's dog are friends, you could board them there together.

A garage sounds very hot in Florida, at least for many months of the year.

In a home you don't know, with a caretaker you don't know, in a state away from your vet, and with you being gone 4 of 9 days, it sounds too ripe for things that could go wrong. Enjoy the vacation knowing that your pet is safe at home and will greet you happily when you return. You can call them and inquire how she is doing, and our dog hotel even posts photos and short videos of the dogs playing on Facebook.

Just my opinion--and I am probably an over-protective dog-mom!

We're planning an off-site trip, and my daughter asked that we choose a place that allows pets. If she brings her dog, we may bring ours too. We'll be staying 9 days /going to the parks 4 days.

We'd want to hire a dog walker for the 4 park days. Questions:

- I'd love to hear any personal experiences.
- Any specific companies to recommend?
- What's it likely to cost for a walker to take care of 2 dogs for 4 days?
- I'm thinking we'd pay the walker to come to the rental house /spend about an hour with the dogs mid-day; that is, let them out of their crates, give them treats, take them on a good long walk.
- Are rental companies okay with dog walkers coming to the house? I mean, I'd be giving access to someone I don't actually know.

Have you thought about checking out Best Friends right on Disney property?

Homepage - Best Friends Pet Care - Lake Buena Vista, FL

I've used them but it's been quite a few years. My dog loved it and got lots of attention. It's right on Bonnet Creek Parkway. They board but also have Doggie Day Camp.

Have you thought about checking out Best Friends right on Disney property?

Homepage - Best Friends Pet Care - Lake Buena Vista, FL
Since you are only doing 4 park days, I would consider this over a dog walker. I am a member of several (local to me) missing dog groups and so many times it is a friend, relative, or dog walker who loses the dog. As a dog owner, I would feel more secure with my pet at an enclosed facility rather than leaving them alone in a rental and having someone walk them in a strange place. It only takes a moment of inadvertence for a dog to get away from you and it is so much harder to find a lost dog when you are far away from home.

Thanks, All, for the ideas. I'm going to discuss with my daughter, and we'll decide what's the best option for our pups.

Another vote for https://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/location/waltdisneyworldresort My Aunt and Uncle who work for Disney would take their dog there for daycare when the two of them have to work and know the dog will be alone for along time. Sam loves going there. They take great care of him and give him his meds Walks him and there is a great out door play area for the dogs to play or walk around the track. Its fenced in so it is safe. They stay open one hour past the closing time that the last park closes for the night giving owners a chance to come and visit before heading back to their resort for the night or stop to pick up there pups.

Last edited:
Another vote for https://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/location/waltdisneyworldresort My Aunt and Uncle who work for Disney would take their dog there for daycare when the two of them have to work and know the dog will be alone for along time. Sam loves going there. They take great care of him and give him his meds Walks him and there is a great out door play area for the dogs to play or walk around the track. Its fenced in so it is safe. They stay open one hour past the closing time that the last park closes for the night giving owners a chance to come and visit before heading back to their resort for the night or stop to pick up there pups.
That place looks great -- we use a similar place locally, and the dogs enjoy it. But they require an "interview day" (not unreasonable), and we aren't in town to do that ahead of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter