Hindsight is 2020 - A VERY late trip report (NYE and Feb/March cruise) - Updated 8/27-Off the cruise and a VIP Tour!

First, the show (ah, remember fireworks shows…)

h5EwCjy.jpg
rOlWXCA.jpg
GoGQ3re.jpg
tKUotUP.jpg
ofukQe1.jpg
DOXD9er.jpg
4vYM2SC.jpg
WViF6eH.jpg
R7HPBoh.jpg
NHLbYZ7.jpg
D9RCuCN.jpg
hdtgDgy.jpg
ca0bLkT.jpg
Y702ziY.jpg
hUd3JzG.jpg
5ZoueOE.jpg
rB7qc8F.jpg
0ob8ZX3.jpg
nm7RQVU.jpg
AboAGpX.jpg
UgzvJP2.jpg
Zonxk8C.jpg

And then over to the dessert party. Even though it wasn’t the Christmas party, they still had the Christmas treats, which was nice! (Though it looks like my focus was crap…) Treats included The Clock Strikes Twelve (from Cinderella’s Royal Table), Peanut Butter Cake, Orange Bird Push Pop, Minnie’s Christmas Cookie Dough

LoMnYfm.jpg
v63QWEe.jpg
YobMB0W.jpg
VL7dzZZ.jpg
MlXBguN.jpg
SadPWFQ.jpg
RjrSvSc.jpg
7guwDA1.jpg

If you know me at all, of course I stocked up on the cheese!

WTVFieo.jpg
kAB4SVd.jpg

Anyways, after we gorged ourselves on desserts it was time to head out! More fun tomorrow!

Coming up: New Years Eve Eve

For dinner itself, we were headed to Toledo Tapas, Steak & Seafood. And that ceiling lighting! :love:

4cq48dU.jpg
LkRxojU.jpg
0qRylQ3.jpg
dzLbkgm.jpg

I think the others all got wine, but I got a fruity drink (I asked our server for something that wouldn’t taste too much like alcohol…). It looks like the Espumoso Punch (Fonseca Bin 27 Port, Combier Crème de Mure, Lime, Orange, Freixinet Blanc de Blanc Cava Brut, Fresh Fruit).

DkVRzEr.jpg

It looks like someone (or a couple people together) got the ‘Pan con Tomate” Tomato Bread

nG5xTEw.jpg

One person got an appetizer of Heirloom Tomatoes (stone fruit, farmer’s cheese, fermented garlic, torn mint)

AhWIkFM.jpg

Two tapas. I think one is the Olive Oil-poached Tuna with Lemon, and the other is the Traditional ‘Tortilla Espanola’ Spanish Potato Omelet.

SJ0fsMC.jpg

I believe I got the Manhattan Filet (olive oil-potato puree, grilled onions, dates, sherry vinaigrette).

aQi8hLr.jpg

Someone got the Red Wine-braised chicken (grapes, sherry vinegar, roasted tomato ‘bomba’ rice).

2JVGd9w.jpg

Zach got the plant-based seafood, a vegan dish of “crab cakes, calamari, scallops, and citrus-infused couscous”. I don’t think he was a big fan, as it went for a look of seafood, not a taste.

mnsIt0E.jpg

Someone got the scallops (fava hummus, olives, harissa vinaigrette, roasted carrots, yogurt powder).

nBuQqd8.jpg

Overall, I think we all thought this meal was very good! And the atmosphere was also great. We had eaten early so didn’t have a wait to be sat at the table and we got to enjoy the lighting, so all around a great meal! I really don’t understand why they haven’t reopened this yet and I hope they do so soon!

Before leaving we did get some nighttime views out on the balcony. We could even see the Sunset Seasons happening on the Tower of Terror

W6yQ76L.jpg
ry6yBMb.jpg
97rJYLC.jpg
The chicken was mine and I ordered the bread but I’m pretty sure I shared it with others at the table. I did have wine that night. It was a recommendation from the server (a Spanish red blend). It was very good. I thought our server that night was the best one we had on the trip.

The heirloom tomato appetizer and the scallops were mine. Like Dina, I had a wine. I believe I was able to get a non-oaked Chardonnay and really enjoyed it. I also agree with Dina that our server at Toledo's was one of the best on that trip.

Currently, given the two hour waits I am hearing about the pool at Coronado Springs, I (like you) don't know why Toledo hasn't reopened yet. I would think that there would be enough demand at this point. Once it does reopen, I hope the quality and service is at the level we experienced on this trip.

Woof a very early morning for you! But worth it to get a BG!

I'm amazed at how much you did this day! 3 parks and dinner at a resort?! Sounds like an absolute blast!

I am here!!!

You are speeding through this trip! Glad I made it before you got too much farther along.

I didn’t take many photos at all, just trying to experience it. But this room was just, wow!

Hb3FEf1.jpg
Amazing right? I can't wait to ride again!

! (Oh and if they sold the Navi nutcrackers I may have to buy one)

OzeDxuc.jpg
MCijBZA.jpg
I love the decorations in that whole little area. Lots of little gems to find.

I think the others all got wine, but I got a fruity drink (I asked our server for something that wouldn’t taste too much like alcohol…). It looks like the Espumoso Punch (Fonseca Bin 27 Port, Combier Crème de Mure, Lime, Orange, Freixinet Blanc de Blanc Cava Brut, Fresh Fruit).

DkVRzEr.jpg
They gave you port! Was it strong?

The chicken was mine and I ordered the bread but I’m pretty sure I shared it with others at the table. I did have wine that night. It was a recommendation from the server (a Spanish red blend). It was very good. I thought our server that night was the best one we had on the trip.
The heirloom tomato appetizer and the scallops were mine. Like Dina, I had a wine. I believe I was able to get a non-oaked Chardonnay and really enjoyed it. I also agree with Dina that our server at Toledo's was one of the best on that trip.

Currently, given the two hour waits I am hearing about the pool at Coronado Springs, I (like you) don't know why Toledo hasn't reopened yet. I would think that there would be enough demand at this point. Once it does reopen, I hope the quality and service is at the level we experienced on this trip.

Yeah, you guys were right, I forgot that our server was very good that night! Great recommendations for food and drinks.
Woof a very early morning for you! But worth it to get a BG!

I'm amazed at how much you did this day! 3 parks and dinner at a resort?! Sounds like an absolute blast!
I know - it was a crazy day (and couple of days really)!
I am here!!!

You are speeding through this trip! Glad I made it before you got too much farther along.

Amazing right? I can't wait to ride again!

I love the decorations in that whole little area. Lots of little gems to find.

They gave you port! Was it strong?
I have a goal to try and get up to date on Trip Reports before my trip in May! Don't know if I'll accomplish it, but I'll put a big dent in!

Hopefully I can get on Rise at least 1x in May, though I have plenty of park passes set up.

I don't remember it being too strong. More on the fruity side at least!

Day 3, December 30, 2019

Part 1 – New Years Eve-Eve

Today we got a bit of a sleep-in, not arrive at Magic Kingdom until 10am (much better than the pre-dawn wake-up calls the past two days)! Dina and I actually were running late, so we ended up ubering to Contemporary (with a burner ADR for drop-off that they actually did verify) before heading up into the Magic Kingdom.

j0Z9jWG.jpg

We did a “shoulder” reservation at Crystal Palace, so we would get the breakfast menu (as well as breakfast pricing) and then by the end of the meal, we would get the lunch menu. (It was me, Dina, Willis and Zach.)

bVhiqVp.jpg

So crazy to consider all the buffets we used to do!

a1zuTtO.jpg
YyxnELR.jpg
WVo7Z7J.jpg
zZX0lFy.jpg

And the lunch foods

X8HvFfM.jpg
cJ1G2XI.jpg
Lwg1Bot.jpg
2Tp0COW.jpg
mxHONAk.jpg
dK2cxqS.jpg
LuJV0rF.jpg
qQncbx2.jpg
jdZkAPa.jpg
Z6Iq5VR.jpg
T9QSIHF.jpg

I definitely overdid it, but the food there is so yummy! I can’t wait until it comes back properly post-pandemic!

oovumnL.jpg
ETp0zsX.jpg

And some fun character interactions. Even though this was December 30th with crazy crowds at Magic Kingdom, we had almost the whole restaurant to ourselves! Just in that weird too-late-for-breakfast but too-early-for-lunch hours that only weirdos like us do! Though I don't have any character photos besides this fun one of Dina, so I don't know if we didn't bother taking them or they were lost on someone else's camera...

GzCx2xo.jpg
nM9t80V.jpg
Y7hjcRT.jpg

After a leisurely meal, we got out just in time for the Christmas parade. First time seeing the WDW version during the day (at Disneyland the Christmas parade runs like normal all season)! I think most of these photos are from Dina or Willis as our view wasn’t the best (we basically stood on some of the brick planters/patio near Liberty Tree Tavern, but we more wanted the atmosphere of it all rather than front-row spots).

ACNjVtU.jpg
txZ92Bv.jpg
x7jMHaX.jpg
E5IQ664.jpg
N6fmj8Y.jpg
yk68Jvt.jpg
uG5PpL8.jpg
yxgi8Bi.jpg
NC3Fjgs.jpg
f6Ayg72.jpg
DVBiKup.jpg
UTeApWT.jpg
sm8WcqA.jpg
RmNxk39.jpg
0O8kYVz.jpg
HU3Jlxd.jpg
NaVmpYg.jpg
T3aU7Gh.jpg

Time for our first fastpass – Jingle Cruise.

zQ9gU7c.jpg
kRfnimR.jpg
yTDsyHO.jpg

The last time I did it in December 2018 I wasn’t overly impressed (Disneyland’s version was far superior but they stopped doing it a few years ago). But Dina and Willis wanted it, and I was actually so happy, since we ended up having a great skipper and it was really hilarious! It’s been too long to remember exactly what he said, but it was enough for me to switch up some future fastpasses to ride it again! I think he also had some fun with our group when we gave the “incorrect” response to a typical joke!

qYAe2OF.jpg
qf3g0CM.jpg
BmUGkLY.jpg
fbo19gh.jpg
UYEbOAc.jpg
vrmWDYG.jpg
3BJaRaw.jpg
jv7qANw.jpg
NmyzUda.jpg

Next fastpass – Haunted Mansion. Checking the photo, looks like an 85-minute standby wait time, but we made it quickly in!

8IkTIN0.jpg
jvbV1s1.jpg
WutkjP1.jpg

And we took some photopass pics afterwards (for some reason Willis and Zach didn’t join in). Can we also appreciate how we could comfortably wear shorts and t-shirts on December 30th!

xh6spOy.jpg
EhtmGnb.jpg

Plenty of crowds in Fantasyland, including an extended queue for the carousel (hard pass on that one). (Though the crowds themselves weren’t too excessive. With our proper planning we didn’t have an unenjoyable time at all.)

zdDzIRf.jpg
JJcGfKh.jpg
ikF05ad.jpg

We had some time before our next fastpass, but I was feeling a bit icky from eating waaaay too much at Crystal Palace, so the others ended up going over to Tomorrowland to take a photo with the Tron photo spot (and maybe rode Peoplemover?). I can't wait for this ride to open at WDW, as I had so much fun on it in Shanghai!

tkjmv8d.jpg

I chilled out in New Fantasyland and the others came over for our final prebooked fastpass, 7DMT. Another fun ride!

5JiVR2J.jpg
OecHENZ.jpg

So to have a good time, its best to avoid standby wait times, so we went (back) over to Tomorrowland for Carousel of Progress.

vtRVRU8.jpg
kDA0nye.jpg
gIigHQE.jpg
BNfbrY9.jpg
vLGGw01.jpg
C4yB2jD.jpg

I think I did a bunch of fastpass checking and was able to grab Dina and Willis ones for Space Mountain; once with the Christmas overlay was enough for me! Instead… I had some retail therapy and ordered a Baby Yoda Magicband On Demand. So cute and I really liked it. Of course I seem to have misplaced it since my March trip and can’t find it anywhere (and it had one of my AP sliders which is super annoying to lose)!

FP46FsT.jpg
ZOfuCly.jpg

And I staked out a good spot for A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas. Such a corny show but I still love it! And fun watching it in daytime.

DY5DX63.jpg
2tNzrFx.jpg
0TGCpHd.jpg

Coming up: Dinner and fireworks x 2!

Sounds like a great meal and fun time watching the parade!

Good use of FPs since the crowds seemed pretty heavy!

Back to schedule, after Totally Tomorrowland Christmas, it was time for an early dinner, California Grill. (And yes, this was 3 dinners in a row on rooftop restaurants!) We timed it so we could see the 6pm Magic Kingdom fireworks from above (it closed at 10pm so no chance for midnight fireworks and then on Dec 31st it’s a special super expensive event). This was also my first time here for dinner (I did brunch in May 2019).

fotK5NN.jpg

We had a window table with a great view of Seven Seas Lagoon

kCHaAda.jpg

Appetizers. I got the Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons (Doenjang miso-cola-onion sauce, crispy garlic chili oil, radish, pickled lotus root). Looks like Dina and Willis each got sushi, the Angry Dragon Roll (shrimp tempura, bbq eel, spicy tuna, ikura, cucumber, avocado, honey sriracha, wasabi cream) and the Sunset Roll (dynamite tuna, charred salmon, avocado, leek-orange relish, soy caviar). And another person (Zach?) got the Sonoma goat cheese ravioli (tomato-fennel broth, crispy mushrooms, tiny basil, arbequina organic olive oil). All delicious!

mYqtsTY.jpg
3TbzMvv.jpg
iWlU1C1.jpg
BJlEdUm.jpg

Lovely sunset and views of MK

pclwH7E.jpg
OPM5aJp.jpg

We could also see the castle projections during the Christmas stage show.

Bl58nyd.jpg
kBrtBFl.jpg

Dina was smart enough to ask them to hold our entrees until after the fireworks. We got out on the patio with plenty of time for a great railing spot! (It was not as crowded as I expected at all)

dvHfqQb.jpg
IYlSTqU.jpg

Fireworks up here were amazing! (Though the 6pm fireworks are only 180 degrees; the midnight fireworks are 360).

hdzY4bn.jpg
l4aMvKa.jpg
Z2tMnNG.jpg
dRnaGNA.jpg
dLLrbkj.jpg
WAlo990.jpg
uBRpl4G.jpg
xONPBKx.jpg

Our entrees came out quickly after the fireworks. I got the Oak-fired Filet of Beef (aged gouda mac & cheese, grilled sweet onions, sautéed ice spinach, 27 steak sauce), which was delicious – but I noticed recently the mac and cheese was removed, which really sucks! (I actually took my leftovers back to the hotel and snacked on them for breakfast one day.) Someone got the Poulet Rouge Chicken (potato dumplings, leek cream, coal-fired cabbage, rye-caraway crumble, leg confit, sherry jus). I think a couple others also got the filet.

cONEm1S.jpg
m0Hpzo0.jpg

I really liked this meal, though definitely expensive! I have always been curious about their desserts, but we already had dessert plans (and I didn’t want to overdo it since I made that mistake earlier that day).

The sunset roll (I ordered it w/ out the avocado) and the chicken were mine. The meal was good, but I personally felt the food for the price was much better at Toledo.

After a lovely meal we made our way back over to Magic Kingdom (observing some weird things happening with the boat situation… this was around the time someone jumped overboard from the MK ferries, which caused a huge delay for Jackie and her family at Wilderness Lodge).

I don't have photos or video, but as we entered the park it was a bit awkward because CMs were ushering everyone off the street; turns out the bands for teams playing the Citrus Bowl were invited to come and march down the parade route, so we got to catch that, which had some unexpected good energy.

Inside the park we stopped to watch the last Christmas stage show (I had seen this the previous year at MVMCP but that was when I caught an icky cold so I didn’t really get to enjoy it). I do like this show – corny, but in a good way! Plus awesome castle projections! (A Voices of Liberty singer was also in the show, so Zach and Owen were having fun watching him.)

RegELNJ.jpg
LM0Bf6e.jpg
gw64Uv9.jpg
7z4IG3q.jpg
O3rwTtw.jpg
bwaJwri.jpg

During the show Zach and I got to greet our friend, Jackie (@missjackiemcg)! Originally we had hoped to spend some more time with her and her family this evening, and finally meet her son and husband, but they had had a long trip and after the boat delays, needed to call it a night! Understandable! Hope to get to see her again sometime soon though! (And I totally stole this photo from your TR Jackie!)

ktYmRgE.jpg

Of course, NYE-eve brings big crowds at Magic Kingdom, which also causes high wait times. So, we just wanted some simple things (I don’t remember which of these, if any, we had picked up FPs for, but I assume some of them…)

It’s a Small World. Zach’s name was the one picked for the goodbye screen. I still have never had that honor, lol!

gSI3Ea3.jpg
RG293Zy.jpg
ZWZUVco.jpg
cd2TPy7.jpg
laDLGkT.jpg
QsCAPy1.jpg

And Peter Pan (we must have had a FP for this one)

ztoPRxs.jpg
1iCsxLr.jpg
QB7fJW6.jpg

And then onto our second dessert party in a row! This was to make it easier to get good viewing and I would do it again in a heartbeat! We actually had slightly different snacks – while the night before it was the Christmas desserts, this was the normal HEA desserts.

rM8AY0n.jpg

And our viewing spot was just so great – no crowding at all! And we could relax beforehand!

91Yg3iT.jpg
wNMxhRe.jpg

Fireworks show! (A lot of these photos are courtesy of Dina, who had a much better phone camera)

UXv2YVS.jpg
SKpTCXr.jpg
v09b31w.jpg
XCQFDF5.jpg
gKTfYUY.jpg
YfxLuZg.jpg
0jblQ1k.jpg
eqQdXEl.jpg
yr8pWFB.jpg
FjOyGNj.jpg

Ok…now for some fun. While Magic Kingdom was open for another hour or so, we planned another Rise attempt in the morning, so wanted to get going quickly. Dina and I made a plan to book it to the front of the park, she would go get in a bus line, and I would go to the locker and get our stuff. As we came out the bypass into town square, there were the typical people standing in groups that we were avoiding, and as I stepped up a curb I tripped. And not just a flat on my face trip, it was a step – step – try to catch myself – step – oh, there’s a lightpost, maybe I can grab hold – nope, headbutt right into the light pole and fall down!

This is the closest gifs I could find to describe it!

Yeah… if you wanted to try and get the attention of every CM in town square on one of the business days of the year… ram your head into a post and fall down! (I couldn’t even use the excuse I was tipsy as I hadn’t drunk alcohol at all.) Zach was walking with me and saw it all, Dina had to come back and see what was going on!

Thankfully no concussion (well…maybe a little one), or bad injuries. And after a moment I could get up and walk off! It just was a crazy situation! I did end up having some neck and back pain for a couple days, which sucked, but I dealt with it!

Coming up: New Years Eve at Epcot

Ok…now for some fun. While Magic Kingdom was open for another hour or so, we planned another Rise attempt in the morning, so wanted to get going quickly. Dina and I made a plan to book it to the front of the park, she would go get in a bus line, and I would go to the locker and get our stuff. As we came out the bypass into town square, there were the typical people standing in groups that we were avoiding, and as I stepped up a curb I tripped. And not just a flat on my face trip, it was a step – step – try to catch myself – step – oh, there’s a lightpost, maybe I can grab hold – nope, headbutt right into the light pole and fall down!

This is the closest gifs I could find to describe it!

Yeah… if you wanted to try and get the attention of every CM in town square on one of the business days of the year… ram your head into a post and fall down! (I couldn’t even use the excuse I was tipsy as I hadn’t drunk alcohol at all.) Zach was walking with me and saw it all, Dina had to come back and see what was going on!

Thankfully no concussion (well…maybe a little one), or bad injuries. And after a moment I could get up and walk off! It just was a crazy situation! I did end up having some neck and back pain for a couple days, which sucked, but I dealt with it!

Coming up: New Years Eve at Epcot
I think I turned around and you were on the ground. Definitely a scary couple of moments.

Appetizers. I got the Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons (Doenjang miso-cola-onion sauce, crispy garlic chili oil, radish, pickled lotus root). Looks like Dina and Willis each got sushi, the Angry Dragon Roll (shrimp tempura, bbq eel, spicy tuna, ikura, cucumber, avocado, honey sriracha, wasabi cream) and the Sunset Roll (dynamite tuna, charred salmon, avocado, leek-orange relish, soy caviar). And another person (Zach?) got the Sonoma goat cheese ravioli (tomato-fennel broth, crispy mushrooms, tiny basil, arbequina organic olive oil). All delicious!

mYqtsTY.jpg
3TbzMvv.jpg
iWlU1C1.jpg
BJlEdUm.jpg
I want all of these as my meal! YUM!!!!

And our viewing spot was just so great – no crowding at all! And we could relax beforehand!
This is def a day where the dessert party is worth every penny!

Falling like that is the worst! Glad you weren't hurt worse!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter