Higher Capacities - Protocol Changes?

It looks you already know what the experience will be like. Or can be with crowds. If those metrics are important to you, why not stay home, take a different vacation, get a refund, or reschedule? Is there a reason why you need to be on a ship right now?

Nobody ever needs to be on a cruise ship. But, I don't think that's a fair way to look at it. We all have expectations for a Disney cruise. When Disney can't meet those expectations, we're disappointed. There's no harm in making that disappointment known.

It looks you already know what the experience will be like. Or can be with crowds. If those metrics are important to you, why not stay home, take a different vacation, get a refund, or reschedule? Is there a reason why you need to be on a ship right now?
It should always be a magical experience under any conditions. That's what DCL advertises. So no, if someone wants to sail now, they should not be forced to compromise. DCL needs to figure it out.

It should always be a magical experience under any conditions. That's what DCL advertises. So no, if someone wants to sail now, they should not be forced to compromise. DCL needs to figure it out.
The problem is that diffe rent people define magical differently.

If you define magical as leaving your kid at the club all day, a free for all at the ice cream, or not testing at port... You will not like the current experience, and expecting Disney to adapt to your definition may not be fair or reasonable.

If you define magical as leaving your kid at the club all day, a free for all at the ice cream, or not testing at port... You will not like the current experience, and expecting Disney to adapt to your definition may not be fair or reasonable.

And similarly, those who want limited capacity, empty tables in the MDR, no waits for pool/bars/shows/activities may not find "magic" as the demand increases. And I do believe the fluctuations in onboard numbers this fall are largely related to demand rather than DCL using (or lifting) capacity limits on bookings.

It's a no-win for DCL right now.

I definitely agree but changing protocols after people have booked is not acceptable.

I understand that it's frustrating, but I don't think the above is a reasonable expectation right now. Facts on the ground, regulations, rules at ports, etc are all changing and DCL has to roll with that.

I personally am hoping we will see some on-board restrictions relaxed and also vaccines required for those aged 5+ by the time we sail after Christmas. Between that and testing everyone before boarding, I feel pretty safe. Of course, YMMV.

Not what I said at all. Disney is the entity advertising "magical". Maybe they shouldn't be sailing at all. Or if they are, the price should be reduced. Reduction in amenities should mean a reduction in price. Who wants to pay for less? And before anyone says perhaps I'm the one who shouldn't be sailing in the current climate; I'd turn that around and say people who are afraid to sail shouldn't. I'd be all for a full capacity ship with no masks and everything open.

Disney is the entity advertising "magical".
But DCL doesn't define "magical" -- everyone has their own expectation of "magical." You want full capacity ships with no covid protocols, completely back-to-normal. Others are clearly finding reduced capacity and social-distancing to be "magical" and worth the price. Neither is right, neither is wrong. It's all opinion and preference. At this time, I don't think either position can expect "no compromise."

Nobody ever needs to be on a cruise ship. But, I don't think that's a fair way to look at it. We all have expectations for a Disney cruise. When Disney can't meet those expectations, we're disappointed. There's no harm in making that disappointment known.
Yes, you can have personal expectations of any product or service - and there is nothing wrong with stating that you are disappointed. But, that's not what's happening here.

Folks are demanding everything from releasing capacity numbers to rolling back all restrictions. Some want prices reduced. That's more suggestive of misaligned expectations. Disney never promised a capacity limit or a restrictions-free experience. If you cannot handle the uncertainty of travel in a pandemic, there really is no need to be on a cruise ship right now!

Anyone got a link to one of these reviews or threads stating that they were being turned away from shows, etc? I'm not worried about the elevator, I can take stairs in worse case.

Anyone got a link to one of these reviews or threads stating that they were being turned away from shows, etc? I'm not worried about the elevator, I can take stairs in worse case.

a few people from the last few weekend cruises have posted on all the current threads about capacity.

But DCL doesn't define "magical" -- everyone has their own expectation of "magical." You want full capacity ships with no covid protocols, completely back-to-normal. Others are clearly finding reduced capacity and social-distancing to be "magical" and worth the price. Neither is right, neither is wrong. It's all opinion and preference. At this time, I don't think either position can expect "no compromise."
[/QUO
Obviously they don't define magical. They can't. But my point is less activities, fewer options should result in lower prices. It doesn't. We are paying the same for less. Some may like that but nevertheless the value is reduced in an objective way.

Wow, this thread is depressing.

I see a lot of the points made here, but I think we need to keep in mind that price is not 100% set by experience. Yes Disney has "changed" the experience, some find that better, some find it worse. Price is often set as supply & demand. I can get the exact same experience on a DCL cruise in February or Oct for half the price of the same cruise over Christmas/Spring Break/Summer. Is the cruise during peak time a much better experience? Of course not. Sure Disney could lower prices, but to what end? They are a business, they aren't lowering prices for goodwill, they are in this to make money. They offer an experience at a price. If it is worth it to you, pay it. If they start to lower that price, demand may increase resulting in a more crowded boat. Is that worth it? Everyone will have a different answer. I feel many people here want to have their cake (lower capacity ship) and eat it too (reduced prices). I don't think it works that way.

For those that feel the current experience is not worth the cost, Disney has given many opportunities to cancel and get your money back. For those that booked cruises assuming that capacity limits would remain low, that was a choice made by their assumptions. DCL has never said they will keep capacity low.

Some want empty ships, some want a return to pre-pandemic experience. The only thing that you have control over is your money. There will always be an inherent risk in not knowing 100% what the experience will be, that is true always. I have no idea when I book my cruise a year out of it will get interrupted by a hurricane....we've missed Castaway before because of rough seas.....experience will change sailing to sailing. I still think Disney is worth my money. Others have their own opinions.

If you are that worried that you may not like the experience if the capacities or protocols change, then you have options.

On the Disney Cruises website under the "Physical Distancing" section of the "Know Before You Go" page, Disney states that "We’re reducing Guest capacity aboard our ships and adjusting experiences to promote physical distancing. This includes limiting capacity and implementing physical distancing measures in our terminals and areas of our ships such as upper decks, dining rooms, food and beverage locations, lounges, theaters, walkways, elevators, pools, queues and other common spaces."

If Disney is going to make that statement on their website as a selling point for why their cruises should be considered safe, then Disney should be sticking to those protocols. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect that Disney will be doing exactly what they stated: (1) limiting/reducing capacity and (2) implementing physical distancing in dining rooms, elevators, etc. From recent cruise reports, it sounds like Disney has already stopped enforcing physical distancing protocols in dining rooms and elevators...

I definitely agree but changing protocols after people have booked is not acceptable. We booked 2 weeks before both cruises we have taken for this exact purpose and the experience we had 3 weeks ago is nothing like what is being reported from the last two weekend cruises. Now those are only a few reports and could very well be exaggerated.

Wouldn't be surprised to find out that the possibility of a potential change of protocols is covered by the contract you sign when you book.

I was on the 10/15-10/18 Dream cruise and can confirm that BatB was at capacity the first night at the later seating and that I could not access 1-2 game shows due to a sign outside that said "Venue At Capacity". No one was policing the game show entry so I might have been able to sneak in but I wanted to respect the rules. I got there right as it started because I was doing an activity somewhere else so I understood that I probably could have gotten in if I had arrived early.

Capacity in the WD theater is still 2-3 seats between parties and every other row closed. There was crew outside of the WD theater turning folks away. This was probably around 15 minutes before showtime I think? I wasn't angry at all. I watched the Mouse-querade and came back to BatB on Sunday. I love that show.

A very similar thing happened with the UK cruises - people booked with expectations that the measurements onboard would stay more consistent and they didn’t (and the measures that remained weren’t enforced well at times). There also didn’t seem to be a consistent ‘maximum’ no of passengers, rather it remained in flux over the last couple months of sailings from about 1500-1800 on the Magic, so reduced but perhaps not what people expected.

Also wish Disney would be more transparent about changes to their protocols and capacity so that people can make an informed decision. I’m booked for Hawai’i next May and hoping they at least delay PiF so that I can take a call on how safe I’d feel onboard.

I find it hilarious when people on a Disney Park forum are appalled at the idea of waiting in a line
Thanks for the condescension, but this is the Disney Cruise Line Forum, not the Parks forum. A lot of DCL cruisers on this forum are completely fed up with Disney parks and have no (or few) plans to go back. A Disney cruise is a very different vacation than the Disney parks.

Thanks for the condescension, but this is the Disney Cruise Line Forum, not the Parks forum. A lot of DCL cruisers on this forum are completely fed up with Disney parks and have no (or few) plans to go back. A Disney cruise is a very different vacation than the Disney parks.
Friend speaks my mind - thank you. This is our family exactly. Cancelled 2 WDW vacations and booked cruises instead. I do not expect lines or long wait times on a cruise. That is the opposite of what a cruise experience is supposed to be.

I'm in the same boat. After I went recently and saw the crowds, lines and lack of covid protocol enforcement, I decided to not renew my AP (there are other factors too like no Genie entitlements, park reservations, etc) but those other things still factored in.

A very similar thing happened with the UK cruises - people booked with expectations that the measurements onboard would stay more consistent and they didn’t (and the measures that remained weren’t enforced well at times). There also didn’t seem to be a consistent ‘maximum’ no of passengers, rather it remained in flux over the last couple months of sailings from about 1500-1800 on the Magic, so reduced but perhaps not what people expected.

Also wish Disney would be more transparent about changes to their protocols and capacity so that people can make an informed decision. I’m booked for Hawai’i next May and hoping they at least delay PiF so that I can take a call on how safe I’d feel onboard.
The Hawaii cruises are going to be pretty full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter