High school class ring ceremonies...do parents go?

I thought ring ceremonies were mostly a Catholic school thing. I had one in '98, took place in the evening and parents came. The rings were blessed with holy water by a bishop or something or other...I can't remember that much. I do remember finding the whole thing rather silly TBH, but at that school there were a LOT of ceremonial pomp and circumstance events and you just learned to roll with it.

I do feel bad about the amount of money my parents spent on a ring that at that age you feel like you just HAVE to have...I ended up hardly even wearing mine because it was in a style that was too clunky for my finger. I probably would have worn it more had I picked a more basic style but I was stubborn and wanted the style that the majority of the class chose that year. Hmm, this thread makes me want to go dig it out of the drawer, LOL. Maybe I can wear it as a necklace.

I don't recall a ring ceremony when I got mine. In fine, my ring didn't even last a year. It fell down a garbage chute Freshman year of college. My daughter didn't get a class ring and I don't think my son will either. I don't even think my children's school sells them.

ALSO: ZOMBIE THREAD!

I'm sorry guys. I was/ am home with the flu. I thought this showed up as a new post. Guess I was hallucinating. Sorry for raising the dead.

I didn't have money in my $4.25/hour bussing tables job budget to buy the ring.

There was no ceremony anyway. I'm pretty sure the company just mailed them to your house.

I'm sorry guys. I was/ am home with the flu. I thought this showed up as a new post. Guess I was hallucinating. Sorry for raising the dead.

That's okay - I had no idea "ring ceremonies" were a thing until today, thanks to this thread.

Count me in as another person who thinks it sounds dumb.

By all means, sell school rings to people who want them. I've got nothing against wanting to purchase a nice souvenir to remind you of your high school days. And if the school gets a cut, that's especially nice.

But, having the school then throw you a party to celebrate your souvenir purchase? Turning buying a ring into a some sort of grand "presentation", like you just bought yourself an academic or sports award?

Yeah... I'm not into that. It sounds entirely too much like being honored for having wealthy parents.

If kids (or their parents) really feel the need to celebrate buying a school ring, they can do it on their own dime... and on their own time.

Our school does a breakfast and class ring ceremony- parents don't go just the kids who bought the class rings- also if you buy a class ring then your cap and gown is free- otherwise you have to pay for a cap and gown.

I have been out of HS for over 20 years, we had ring ceremonies back then (public and Catholic schools). I have no idea if they still have them today because my kids, like dh and I never bothered with rings. I don't think any of my kids friends have them either. Doesn't seem like they are a thing around here.
Having said that, I have a niece and a nephew who have them. Both are involved in school sports. Not sure if that has anything to do with why they have them. None of their siblings ever got them.

Haven't read all the responses but I did not have a high school class ring. I didn't want 1 since they are hardly ever worn after high school graduation. I got a diamond ring & almost 25 years later I still wear - as a pinky ring.
The principal was not that happy about it. He was goood friends with my parents. Told them that he needed a 100% buy from the students. Sorry didn't happen.
I still am very happy with my choice. Would I want my child to go to a ring ceremony ...No but each family is different with different values and expectations.

Back in the day at my public school there was a ring ceremony and dance. No parents. Just the students. There was no junior prom, just senior.

At my kids' public school no ring ceremony and rings have fallen out of style. But they are still offered.

I think it's funny the posters who are making like this is a new thing for spoiled kids when it's been around forever. Must be regional. ;) LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter