High school class ring ceremonies...do parents go?

I don't think they're celebrating that they were able to purchase rings. They're celebrating that they are alomost done with high school.

But the point is that EVERYBODY in the class is almost done with high school. The ceremony is for those who BOUGHT the rings.

Big difference.

Personally, my view isn't that it will hurt anybody's feelings. I just think it's an improper use of school time and $ to "honor" those who made a flat out purchase.

If they passed out school rings and wanted a ceremony, that would be nice (though I should think graduation should be enough!)

We don't have "ring ceremonies" here either. Just order your ring during homeroom or lunch, decide which organ you are going to sell to pay for it, then when it comes in you pick it up during your lunch period.
We "wasted" about $400 on DD's ring but she is proud of it and wears it daily.

TRhis is exactly how ours was. Mine was about $300 (back in 96). I will allow my boys to get them, but i think they are a complete waste of money. You cant' wear them after high school (not only do they look dumb, but realistically, most people gain weight after high school and they don't fit!).

If the people who didn't order them aren't included in the ceremony, I don't see too big adeal with it. But I still think its a waste of time.

No ceremony at our school. I would have objected. My parents wasted money on my ring and alot of it. I was a brat , I will admit it. I wanted real stones so thats what I got. I have no idea where my ring is now, I do not really care for that matter.

I think it is insulting to have a ceremony for something that is a material object that was just bought and not earned. Our were picked up during the lunch period.

I guess my school was weird, there were no spring break trips ,except 5th yr language classes that raised the money, or band which did the same, and we never celebrated the fact.

DS15 brought home his ring order form a few weeks ago. I figured he wouldn't want one but he had one picked out already. I asked him if he was going to wear the ring, he said "no, I don' like wearing rings". I gave him the choice of a ring or a letter jacket, he took the letter jacket--smart kid. He got his jacket last weekend and has only been able to wear it once and it is killing him :lmao: .

Don't you have to EARN a letter jacket? Or are those for sale now too? Or did he earn one, but still would have had to pay for it?

At DD school it is a big thing and the parents go. The Seniors give the rings to their Junior counterparts, like passing a torch.

When I was in school nothing happened.

we too got ours in an envelope. But our school tradition was that you asked a Senior of the opposite sex to put it on for you. We had a tiled Tiger in middle of our hall way and you stood on that and your ring was placed on your finger.

It wasn't a cermony, just something you did while changing classes. It was suggested to us that we not pick a boyfriend or girlfriend - but just a friend. You what they were right - I'm still friends with that friend, but the boyfriend is long gone :)

My son just brought the mail in. In the stack was a letter from his school. I assumed it was the bill that they mail out each month. Nope, it the letter about the rings (order forms will come home next week) the ceremony (late April, on a Sunday afternoon)

The letter says "A school ring is a special symbol. It unites graduates from every year since 1851 when ________ was established. It's an important part of high school and junior year."

Personally, my view isn't that it will hurt anybody's feelings. I just think it's an improper use of school time and $ to "honor" those who made a flat out purchase.

This is in the EVENING.

Don't you have to EARN a letter jacket? Or are those for sale now too? Or did he earn one, but still would have had to pay for it?

DS is a football player and has earned a letter jacket, but we would have to pay for it.

My DN had a ring ceremony last year, her junior year. She goes to Catholic HS. There was a mass and the rings were blessed. My DB, DSIL, DN, My Mom and my DSIL's mom went. It was a pretty big thing, she wore a dress and received flowers from her grandmothers.

I think it is nice to have a ceremony. If my child had one I would go.

Sharon

I've never heard of such a thing. Sorry I can't help.

Update: It lasted about 20 minutes, there were a few brief speakers (the history of the ring (the crest of the school, etc), the tradition of the turning of the ring, etc.) and the kids walked across the stage to get them. Cookies and juice afterward. Parents were there. Some kids were dressed up, some weren't. Not a huge deal, but the kids seemed to enjoy it.

I'm with those that think a ring ceremony is not justified -- what exactly did you have to do to earn that ring? Aaahhh, nothing but make a purchase right? I didn't buy one for my son -- he brought home the paperwork, I put it away out of sight and he never mentioned it, though we would have discussed the purchase had he really wanted it.

As for letter jackets, I presented my son his Varsity FB Letter Jacket this past Saturday at the Homecoming Game. It was just a small ceremony prior to the game with the moms (and some dads) giving the jackets to the seniors that lettered and having their picture taken. My son worked hard for that jacket. For the past six years (four years at the high school level), he has attended fb practice five days a week for three hours each day starting mid-August (two weeks before school started) and then played in the games, rain or shine. Did he consider it work or play? I don't know but I've never seen the manboy give so much dedication and effort to anything else before (well, maybe baseball, lol). He also lifted weights during the off season and ran sprints as well.

Did I pay for the jacket? Absolutely not. They were $160 OR, and that's a big OR, the parents and student could do fundraising. I told DS that I'd split the fundraising with him so I worked the snack bar three times and he sold 50/50 raffle tickets and made sandwiches for some away games. We earned the jacket.

Don't know what difference it makes. No sooner had he handed it back to me at the beginning of the game and DGF asked if she could try it on -- have it seen it since? NO!:rolleyes1

Never heard of a ring ceremony either. It does sound a bit silly to celebrate the spending of money.

And no, this is completely different than having the prom or class trips.

The actual purchase of the ring is equivalent to the purchase of the prom tickets or the payment of the class trip. None should be cancelled.

But actually celebrating something as non-academic as spending money is a bit strange. But this is coming from a person who has never witnessed one, so am not familiar with any traditions that may be behind it.

My high schoo, DH's high schooll and my kid's high schools (all in different parts of the country) just handed them out.

DS - a senior now decided he didn't want a high school ring. He said a high school diploma was not his goal. He would celebrate with a ring when he graduated college.

FWIW - he also has gone to prom, he has a letter jacket and has gone on both class trips.

You earn the letter that goes on the jacket. Usually you have to buy the jacket to put your letters on. That's how it works in my town and the surrounding towns anyway.

You earn the letter that goes on the jacket. Usually you have to buy the jacket to put your letters on. That's how it works in my town and the surrounding towns anyway.

I grew up in Ohio and that's how it worked in my school too.

When we got our rings, we went and picked them up in the gym during school and they had a DJ and pizza for everyone. I don't remember any parents there and all seniors were invited whether they got their ring from Jostens or somewhere else. :confused3 I had several friends get theirs from Wal-Mart and one even used her mom's class ring. The main point was to turn rings, eat some pizza and have a mini party.

I am holding onto my class ring to give to my (hypothetical) daughter when she gets to high school. I was always bummed that my mom didn't have one.

In my school, you earned the main letter than happened to come with the jacket. We had a company sponsor that bought everyone's jacket for them from sports to band to auxillary. We bought the patches and bars that we sewed onto them.

Many moons ago, I chose not to order a class ring. My parents wanted to get me something, so we together chose a pearl with a couple of diamond chips. Guess what?? I have worn it every day since. Over 20 years!

Now DS had to have a class ring... one of the more expensive ones, I might add. After much deliberation, he made his choice. When it was delivered at school, he brought it home to show us, gave it to his girlfriend that night, and we have not seen it since. :lmao:

As for the ring ceremonies? Never heard of them. I do think it's not the best idea as not everyone chooses to buy a ring. It's not an earned honor, but a purchased momento. Just my opinion!

In my high school you had to earn the letter but buy the jacket to put it on. Girls usually bought different ones than the boys did, so when my brothers came to high school, Mom had a rude awakening with just how expensive the guys ones were

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter