High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

My two are plugging away. DD has a great schedule this year (only has classes Tues and Thurs and is taking one class online) so she has time to work and chill a bit. Nice to see her a little more relaxed after last spring when she took 18 credits and was in some tough classes. She took a class over the summer to get her toughest science for this semester out of the way which worked out well. She starts clinicals this spring so it will be a new kind of busy, but she's gearing up for it getting all her personal health and certifications in order so there are no last minute problems.

How are the other nursing students here doing? Do they like it? Survived the sciences so far? Lol

DS is changing majors and just took care of a lot of that today as well as picked out most of his classes for spring, so I'm glad he was able to get that done. Last spring was tough with his sport but I think at least he has a better idea of what to expect now and I daresay a bit more maturity. He's figured out some things about himself and the direction he's headed in now probably more suits his personality than what he was in before. It's all good. Thankfully he won't lose any classes with the switch since he's mostly been taking gen eds, and he's thinking about a summer class next time, as well. He took one class online this semester and really liked the format once he figured it out - he says if he takes a summer class it will be online, too. He's been exhausted trying to manage everything but he's keeping up pretty well. Being part of a team has been really great for him. His days are super long because he has classes in the morning, then team activities and study in the afternoon, sometimes into the evenings, but he loves it.

I have nothing new to report. DD is horribly anxious. I couldn't get her a local therapist, so she's talking to a therapist from home over the phone. Her grades are actually very good. She's planning a semester abroad next year, but the program she wants starts the day before her sister's wedding, so she needs to find something else. We are doing the best we can.

I am so sorry.

Dd has been having a great semester. She isn't living in the dorm as she has moved in with her bf. We are expecting an engagement announcement any day.

She will graduate with her AA in May and will have several certifications to work as a personal trainer. She needs to do an internship next term so with school and working her job from home she will be busy but her bf will be in the police academy so it will work out.

She is still wrestling and she and her brother have started their own company. It's going pretty good but keeping everyone busy. They do a weekly show and work for another company who does monthly shows in several different places so he has 3-4 shows a month but all in different places. Wears me out but they love it!!

What a difference a year makes! But we really like her bf and appreciate the fact that he supports her goals. I do have to remind her dad and oldest brother that goals change and evolve and Her's definitely have. This time last year she was dead set on working for the WWE but now, while she wouldn't turn it down, she has more level goals.

My college girls did not get vaccinated. My DD25 refused to be vaccinated and was down with the flu last week.

Update:

He has not only gotten in but he has gotten his first scholarship. He is eligible for 2 more, but we haven't heard back about those yet.

I signed him up today. He is going to SCAD in Savannah. It is the only school he applied for. He has Asperger's and it was so interesting to watch his thought process, "Well, that is where I want to go so why should I apply to other schools?"

Um, ok then son, go for it. And he did! And he made it! He starts in January.

We are so excited for him, and scared, and sad......so many emotions.
Omg! How incredibly exciting! Yeah I can imagine your emotions are all over the place but he seems ready to spread his wings a bit (you've obviously given him a great foundation to do so)

Did your college kids get the flu vaccine?
My college kid refuses to get it unless she's near home- she's had reactions in the past and for a few years she was immunocompromised so she couldn't. She's done ok without it for about five years now (knock wood).

do have to remind her dad and oldest brother that goals change and evolve and Her's definitely hav
isn't it fun to see them grow? I just watch in awe sometimes! And now small business owners? Wow!

My DD got the extension she applied for with the DCP but has decided she needs to return to school so she can stay on her graduation track. She worked a double yesterday at CBR- got to see the characters and festivities around the resort. She has behind scenes tour of ToT this am (her leaders have been arranging these things for the kids about once a month-last month was EE!)-staring at 6:10 am (she got off around 1am), then she talks with her school advisor at 930am, then she has her seminar this afternoon. She's gonna be exhausted but she's loving it. Her and another DCP she's become good friends with go to breakfast before the tours and as they both worked doubles yesterday they were planning on just staying up and not trying to sleep before the tour (they go to breakfast at 4am). I know I did stuff like that when I was twenty, but just the thought of it now exhausts me. We go to see her in a couple weeks, and I think she's ready for a family visit lol

Omg! How incredibly exciting! Yeah I can imagine your emotions are all over the place but he seems ready to spread his wings a bit (you've obviously given him a great foundation to do so)

My college kid refuses to get it unless she's near home- she's had reactions in the past and for a few years she was immunocompromised so she couldn't. She's done ok without it for about five years now (knock wood).

isn't it fun to see them grow? I just watch in awe sometimes! And now small business owners? Wow!

My DD got the extension she applied for with the DCP but has decided she needs to return to school so she can stay on her graduation track. She worked a double yesterday at CBR- got to see the characters and festivities around the resort. She has behind scenes tour of ToT this am (her leaders have been arranging these things for the kids about once a month-last month was EE!)-staring at 6:10 am (she got off around 1am), then she talks with her school advisor at 930am, then she has her seminar this afternoon. She's gonna be exhausted but she's loving it. Her and another DCP she's become good friends with go to breakfast before the tours and as they both worked doubles yesterday they were planning on just staying up and not trying to sleep before the tour (they go to breakfast at 4am). I know I did stuff like that when I was twenty, but just the thought of it now exhausts me. We go to see her in a couple weeks, and I think she's ready for a family visit lol
What a great experience! It's probably a "good" tired!

GAH! We found out today that the scholarship is less than we had anticipated. We were told one thing, but either they didn't explain well or we misunderstood, but apparently two of the scholarships he applied for can't be stacked. You get the higher of the two as they are both merit based. This is putting us in a difficult situation because the cost is a bit prohibitive. We may indeed need a plan B. He is discouraged and we are sad for him.

We are still going to try to make it work, but it is very expensive and we will have 2 kids in college next year.

So, we can either:

1. Have him stay at CC and take more classes that will transfer and try again later.
2. Along with the above, add a few more schools into the search and apply in March/April to several schools and see what he can get
3. Take out more of a loan than we want

Question:

Is there a way to see what we might qualify for next year with two kids in college? Does the FAFSA spell that out fairly clearly?

GAH! We found out today that the scholarship is less than we had anticipated. We were told one thing, but either they didn't explain well or we misunderstood, but apparently two of the scholarships he applied for can't be stacked. You get the higher of the two as they are both merit based. This is putting us in a difficult situation because the cost is a bit prohibitive. We may indeed need a plan B. He is discouraged and we are sad for him.

We are still going to try to make it work, but it is very expensive and we will have 2 kids in college next year.

So, we can either:

1. Have him stay at CC and take more classes that will transfer and try again later.
2. Along with the above, add a few more schools into the search and apply in March/April to several schools and see what he can get

Question:

Is there a way to see what we might qualify for next year with two kids in college? Does the FAFSA spell that out fairly clearly?
I'm sorry to hear that. Your best bet is to run a college calculator on the school website assuming both kids in college. The numbers should be fairly accurate. I have 2 in school for the first time this year, and we got a touch more aid for DD and a subsidised, rather than unsubsidized loan. Run the numbers. See if you'll be able to swing it.

Eta: here's the link for SCAD. https://www.scad.edu/admission/fina...id/budget-planning-guide/net-price-calculator

Last edited:

So, we can either:

Question:

We had two in college last year and this year, we got nothing from FAFSA. Tuition with room and board is about $30,000 for each, dd21 moved off campus junior year, ds19 will do the same next year, both rents are around $500 a month (with many roommates). We did co-sign, and we pay the monthly interest, to lower the interest rates, and they will only have to repay the principal.

So, we can either:

Question:

I know it must be so disappointing for him, and all of you, and I know it's hard because he has Aspberger's and he wants to go to this school, but are there other programs that have what he wants that are more affordable? I have two in college, too, and qualify for nothing, basically, besides loans, so we strive to find ways to keep costs down, too.

So, we can either:

Question:

I have two in College next year and they do split your EFC between the two generally. Our EFC was 20,000 for one and turns out to be about 11,000 for each this year. This should help if my son gets into a Private needs blind College.

I know it must be so disappointing for him, and all of you, and I know it's hard because he has Aspberger's and he wants to go to this school, but are there other programs that have what he wants that are more affordable? I have two in college, too, and qualify for nothing, basically, besides loans, so we strive to find ways to keep costs down, too.

No! There is nothing else out there, they are all expensive. If there had been a cheaper option, we would have already opted for it. Oh well.

However, he did attend CC for 2 years and they are taking a full year's worth of work plus a class or two, so he would only need to go the rest of this year and then 2 more years.

We sat him down and told him that he will need to pay the missing $5K per year. He has agreed. We are just going to bite the bullet and send him. We know it may not even work out. But I think it is worth the risk at this point.

He attended CC for 2 years and that may just be what son #2 needs to do as well to allow this to happen. It is fine.

So, DD just informed me she's thinking of going on a program abroad during spring break. I told her she'd have to finance it. Older DD spent a summer abroad and other than spending money, paying for passport and visa, she financed it with scholarships and money from grandparents. We will see what happens.

Last edited:

No! There is nothing else out there, they are all expensive. If there had been a cheaper option, we would have already opted for it. Oh well.

However, he did attend CC for 2 years and they are taking a full year's worth of work plus a class or two, so he would only need to go the rest of this year and then 2 more years.

We sat him down and told him that he will need to pay the missing $5K per year. He has agreed. We are just going to bite the bullet and send him. We know it may not even work out. But I think it is worth the risk at this point.

He attended CC for 2 years and that may just be what son #2 needs to do as well to allow this to happen. It is fine.

In a last ditch effort we did a college tour Saturday at a "kind of/sort of" similar program (but not really.) Even we (the parents) were positive this wasn't going to work (State School with something that sounded a little like what he is doing).

So, now we know.

In a last ditch effort we did a college tour Saturday at a "kind of/sort of" similar program (but not really.) Even we (the parents) were positive this wasn't going to work (State School with something that sounded a little like what he is doing).

So, now we know.

SCAD really is a fabulous place and it's just 2 years for him. Can you try to talk to admissions and financial aid and see if you can negotiate something? Even a couple of thousand will help.

SCAD really is a fabulous place and it's just 2 years for him. Can you try to talk to admissions and financial aid and see if you can negotiate something? Even a couple of thousand will help.

It will be the rest of this year (2 quarters) and then 2 more years. We are waiting on his 3rd scholarship offer that hasn't come in yet, that should be couple thousand more is my guess. And he is covering $5K per year in loans, so we should be ok. NOT CHEAP, but not to the point where we have to say he can't go.

We wil have two in college next year, not sure if that will help with aid or not. We will see.

Good Luck to your son, DawnM. It's difficult trying to get all the numbers straight so you know what the final "cost" is going to be.
I'm not looking forward to trying to figure this all out for two next year either. One is headache enough.
I really need to get on those FAFSAs... blah

DD is still enjoying school, and doing well. But, she's starting to talk about a subtle shift in her focus. Currently her major is medical technology or medical lab science (different schools call it different things). With that degree, she could work in a hospital or research lab, etc. But, she is having some issues with an eye condition that may make working in a purely lab focused job difficult. Due to a retinal disease, she has no central vision in one eye, and it seriously effects her depth perception. She is finding that working with the very detailed lab equipment is impossible (like using pipettes to put a drops of a solution into multiple tiny openings of microplates, etc). At this point, with lab partners to do the fine work, it's not an issue... but she's not sure how much of a problem this will be in a work environment, as a new employee trying to get started in their career.
So, she's going to have a talk with her instructors and advisors and get their input. She wants to stay in a science career field, and particularly loves chemistry, but might have to look into options that are not quite so "hands on." So, we'll see how that goes. There is still time to make a focus shift if necessary. She has really enjoyed teaching chemistry as a tutor, so she might look into a more academic focus... or maybe her instructors can think of ways to get around the depth perception issue, like getting a certification in a particular focus or area that doesn't involve such detailed work.
I guess it's just a wait and see situation at this point. Hopefully, she can get in to talk to all of them before the end of the semester, in case she needs to adjust her spring courses.
I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. Really miss having her around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter