High School Class 2013: Picking Colleges..Check in Here!

DD is set on Appalachian. If she doesn't get in, she is going to community college. She has the GPA but needs to retake the SATs.
We are going to Open House on Sept 22.

I have begged her to consider other schools. NC has some amazing colleges. But she wants to be close to home and App is only an hour away.

To the OP, NC School of Arts has an excellent reputation.

OP: I went to Point Park... if you have any questions... you can PM me. It's set up a little different than most colleges, but I loved it!

OP: I went to Point Park... if you have any questions... you can PM me. It's set up a little different than most colleges, but I loved it!

Oh thank you, thank you! On my way to work right now, but I will be messaging you soon. Other than Purchase and UNCSA, PPU is at the top of her list!

Oh my gosh! I think our kids are clones!! We can trade "RP" sites (role playing) for his Skyrim, and we have the same kid. Believe me, if I weren't behind her PUSHING, nothing would be done. We fight daily about it. I really can't wait until this time next year! :goodvibes

As a mom who has lived through it, I feel your pain. My DS was just not motivated to do all of the college "stuff". We did have him take an essay writing course which got him rough drafts of 4 different essays. It was a struggle to get him to do that and then to fine tune the essays. I am so glad that is all behind us and I don't have to be pushing every step of the way. DS was a 2011 HS graduate so we are past it by some time and, if I had it to do over again, I'd do things differently. Good luck!

Do the colleges normally call the students that aren't stand outs? I ask, because last night my DD received a call from Eastern IL University, one of the schools she is interested in, and she was so impressed that they reached out to her and actually talked on the phone for more than 2 seconds!

I don't remember DD #1 getting calls, but that was 4 years ago. DD #1 was very specific on her major, and only a few schools offer her major, so that did narrow things down. I do remember, when we toured one of the schools, the head female in the department took it upon herself to conduct the tour regarding DD #1's major, and offered DD the moon if only DD would go to school there (she was the only female in that major, and the school was trying to attract more females, I suppose). That was the closest we ever came to any school expressing an outright interest! And that was my high achieving DD!

Right now, DD #2 is just so impressed, that I believe Eastern has jumped to the top of the list (will be researching DePauw this weekend, though!).

Do all schools call prospective students, or only some of them? Is Eastern calling because DD is probably at the top of the list for what the average student's qualifications are, in terms of ACT and GPA? If that is so, then I know DD won't be called by IU Bloomington nor Purdue, because she is no where near the top of their average student qualifications!:scratchin

Also last night, out of the blue, DD finds out that a girl that was her mentor on her Mission Trip at church 4 years ago is now a senior at Eastern, and so DD contacts her. Turns out, she is majoring in Education, as DD would like to! DD learned a lot from her about the school and life there, and I am just sitting here thinking this must be some Divine intervention trying to coax my DD to a school that we didn't put at the top originally.

I still would like her to be at Purdue, but only because I know my way around that school now! If she goes elsewhere, I will have to learn to navigate some new one-ways and dead-ends, because it seems like all colleges put those streets around their campuses!

So what does everyone else think about schools calling? Is it a sign that the school actually likes DD's qualifications?

Do the colleges normally call the students that aren't stand outs? I ask, because last night my DD received a call from Eastern IL University, one of the schools she is interested in, and she was so impressed that they reached out to her and actually talked on the phone for more than 2 seconds!

I don't remember DD #1 getting calls, but that was 4 years ago. DD #1 was very specific on her major, and only a few schools offer her major, so that did narrow things down. I do remember, when we toured one of the schools, the head female in the department took it upon herself to conduct the tour regarding DD #1's major, and offered DD the moon if only DD would go to school there (she was the only female in that major, and the school was trying to attract more females, I suppose). That was the closest we ever came to any school expressing an outright interest! And that was my high achieving DD!

Right now, DD #2 is just so impressed, that I believe Eastern has jumped to the top of the list (will be researching DePauw this weekend, though!).

Do all schools call prospective students, or only some of them? Is Eastern calling because DD is probably at the top of the list for what the average student's qualifications are, in terms of ACT and GPA? If that is so, then I know DD won't be called by IU Bloomington nor Purdue, because she is no where near the top of their average student qualifications!:scratchin

Also last night, out of the blue, DD finds out that a girl that was her mentor on her Mission Trip at church 4 years ago is now a senior at Eastern, and so DD contacts her. Turns out, she is majoring in Education, as DD would like to! DD learned a lot from her about the school and life there, and I am just sitting here thinking this must be some Divine intervention trying to coax my DD to a school that we didn't put at the top originally.

I still would like her to be at Purdue, but only because I know my way around that school now! If she goes elsewhere, I will have to learn to navigate some new one-ways and dead-ends, because it seems like all colleges put those streets around their campuses!

So what does everyone else think about schools calling? Is it a sign that the school actually likes DD's qualifications?

I'm really not sure what the phone calls are based on. My DS has been called by his top choice, Messiah College, a few times. We already visited there, and he has an admissions counselor, but hasn't applied yet (we are working on it ;) ). But, he has been called by students a few times.

He has also had numerous calls and mailings from Temple University, which he has NEVER had an interest in. He finally told the last student caller that he has no interest in attending Temple, and then she asked him if he still wanted the mailings!? :confused3 He was like "No, thanks. I'm good."

It does kind of make you wonder why they call you if you've never put them down anywhere as being interested.

And he's not exactly at the top of the heap academically either- 3.24 GPA so far, 1140 SAT (so far).

My DD is going to the local Community College for the first two years then she hopes to transfer to Towson. She actually started classes at the CC on Monday as part of her HS Open Enrollment curriculum (dual enrollment). We don't have any college stuff to do this year (other than her taking classes this year). :) :thumbsup2

I'm a senior this year! I've been looking into colleges for a while now. I think over the last few years I've visited 11 colleges, and there's still more I'd like to see but just don't have time for. I'd say I'm a good student; I'm in full IB, good grades, ECs I'm really interested in. I'm applying EA at my first choice which is exciting, but it also means I need to write my essay yesterday.

I've taken the SAT and the ACT, as well as one Subject Test. Retaking the ACT in September and taking two more subject tests in October. I'm looking at colleges out-of-state; I want a change of scenery and I don't want to see everyone from high school at my college. Financially, at top schools I should qualify for close to full need-based aid, which is nice. I've worked so hard these past few years to make sure my grades were high, and I hope it all pays off and I get into some great colleges.

Joining in the discussion...

My DD is about to start her senior year. She knows she would like to go to school in FL, we took a look at four schools while we were down there this summer. She wants to major in nursing and her first choice school is Florida Gulf Coast University, then Nova. I think with her GPA (3.6) and SAT scrores (1500) she will have no problem getting in, the issue will be PAYING for it. FGCU is $36k/year for out of state. Getting ready to start submitting her applications and looking into scholarships.

We are looking into the Navy Nursing Candidate program and she is very excited about the prospect, not only the financial piece but the experience she will gain from the travel and work.

Her older brother will graduate from SUNY Stonybrook this spring as an engineering major, but will be about $80K in debt! :eek:

My DD is trying to avoid the huge debt, hence the Navy program

My DD is about to start her senior year. She knows she would like to go to school in FL, we took a look at four schools while we were down there this summer. She wants to major in nursing and her first choice school is Florida Gulf Coast University, then Nova. I think with her GPA (3.6) and SAT scrores (1500) she will have no problem getting in, the issue will be PAYING for it. FGCU is $36k/year for out of state. Getting ready to start submitting her applications and looking into scholarships.

We are looking into the Navy Nursing Candidate program and she is very excited about the prospect, not only the financial piece but the experience she will gain from the travel and work.

Her older brother will graduate from SUNY Stonybrook this spring as an engineering major, but will be about $80K in debt! :eek:

I'm far from an expert in the area of nursing because it isn't an interest of DD. However, she has at least a half dozen friends that are into nursing and they are all big on University of South Florida. A few started there this week and the rest (seniors) all plan on going there next year. When we toured the campus, it did seem like a great place for anyone doing anything medical. I believe they said they had four (maybe three) hospitals right on campus. Nursing talk actually dominated the tour. When we left, I said to DD that now I understand why all her nursing major friends want to go there.

DD's psych professor just told DD this morning that Gulf Coast U is an upcoming school. He said it isn't there yet but he really likes what he is seeing coming out of that school and thought it was worth DD taking a look at. It really wasn't on our radar but now she wants to take a look.

So far I see that there are a lot of highly motivated students represented on this thread. I already mentioned my struggle to get DS to fill out the apps and write essays. Well, yesterday I lost it....he was on the computer playing Skyrim for what seemed like forever and it ticked me off. So I told him if he didn't have two apps and essays filled out by the first day of school, he wasn't auditioning for theatre. I don't bluff and he knows it.....but he didnt't go down without a fight. He tried to tell me that he had it under control when just a few days ago he told me he didnt know what to write about. He is a master procrastinator. About an hour after our exchange, he was typing an essay.

He wants to go to college, but he approaches every new thing like this. He is the same way with learning how to drive, which is another struggle right now. We have to push him into new and uncomfortable situations or he would never do them on his own. I am frustrated because I am not like him. I am trying to find a balance but it is hard. My husband is more like my son, so it is harder for him to push a little.

I guess I am hoping I am not alone....

I can SO feel your pain! My DS is a junior, but otherwise the above completely applies! It's so frustrating. He has tons of ability, if he'd put even half the effort into school as he does the XBox he could write his own ticket.:headache: He's had his driving permit for over a year and still doesn't have enough hours to take his driving test. Sigh.

I'll be following this thread, with anticipation for next year (and then the year after for my DD). Good luck everyone!:goodvibes

I have to retract something I wrote earlier. My DS got a 1280 on his SAT, not an 1140.

I realized this when we registered (or tried to anyway) for the October SAT this morning. Unfortunately, their systems are down. This is new, though- you now need to upload a picture of your student (and they emphasize that it must look EXACTLY like them) for their admission ticket. And the test price has gone up since he took it in April/May.

Honestly I would not pay out of state tuition for a Nursing degree, while nurses make good money I don't think it is enough to justify +/- 160K in debt and unfortunately Florida public U's don't offer great aid to OOS.

Someone mentioned USF, they do have an awesome nursing program and ROTC.

Thank you all for the congrats, D has worked very hard in school and we are very proud!

Honestly I would not pay out of state tuition for a Nursing degree, while nurses make good money I don't think it is enough to justify +/- 160K in debt and unfortunately Florida public U's don't offer great aid to OOS.

Sigh, I know it is expensive, but our "local" university UVM in Burlington is around $40k for IN STATE. I know, ridiculous isn't it? Jeesh...

Personally, I wouldn't pay OOS to go to a lesser known public school, period. There are most certainly some big name public schools in most states that draw people from all over the country because they are that good. I understand that. But to pay OOS tuition for an unknown public school when it is likely that your own state has schools that are equal or better for half the cost, wouldn't fly with me. But I'm cheap! :lmao: If I was going to spend that much on OOS for an unknown public school, I would visit a number of private schools instead. JMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter