HHN - suitable for kids?

Should we take our 10-year-old nephew to HHN?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 47 92.2%

• Total voters
I once said a mild curse word in a bar where you had to be 21 and over after a certain time but could stay there if you were already there and parents next to me glared at my like nobody's business. I'm like in my head "you have a kid in a bar where now it's the time that everyone is carded..."

Some people, despite seeing that the atmosphere is more adult, make a ruckus when people exhibit behaviors that are more adult-like so I get what you're saying and I get what the other poster is saying.

To go along with the watch your mouth, or behavior, or not debate, the thing is all people have different opinions and feelings on the matter. Which is all the more reason why some people may feel as if younger children should not be involved at all. It's probably one of many reasons why bars prohibit children under the age of 21 other than the obvious reason of the fact they cannot drink, because at the end of the day, people have different opinions, people raise their children differently, and people cannot control what others do.

Some people feel as if regardless they should watch their mouth, or behavior when children are around, some people do not care as they feel as if they are within their right to say, or act as they want regardless of where they are, and some may simply feel uncomfortable about a child being in certain environments for a variety of reasons.

Again, people raise their children in many different forms and expose their children to certain things at a variety of ages. Everyone will always have a different opinion. However, the fact of the matter is HHN other than the "scary stuff" also is corpus amounts of alcohol + go go dancers and those things remind me of a night club, which those are created for adults,, and as we know clubs don't have younger children.

Anyone can try to avoid some of those things, as @istillbelieve is an example that it doesn't always get crazy, or "adult", but I personally at most accept / don't feel awkward about teenagers being there. As we cannot deny that age group is definitely has knowledge, or aware of language, alcohol, and dancers.

I agree with this 100%.
I just had a feeling that with Stranger Things II and Ghostbusters and huge numbers last year, that this year would be even more so "dumbed down"

I have high hopes for the 30th as the 25th was so fun.

I have expressed my feelings to Universal. Who knows if more people express their feelings, then maybe it will go back to the way it was.
I also let Universal know.
I did the 3 house and 6 house tours and got two surveys.
I was very clear what the issues were - did not hear anything back - but at least I know they got it.
That's the best I can do and I will give it one more year.
If that is not the improvement I expect ll start doing Christmas at Universal instead

This year SAs were told specifically not to scare children - that is ridiculous - maybe they should not be there?
Yes I am quoting myself.
Anyway - this came from the tour guide on the six house tour when we were discussing how much the scare zones have changed over the years.
So I consider it a good source - it was not a Disney bus driver ;)

I also let Universal know.
I did the 3 house and 6 house tours and got two surveys.
I was very clear what the issues were - did not hear anything back - but at least I know they got it.
That's the best I can do and I will give it one more year.
If that is not the improvement I expect ll start doing Christmas at Universal instead
Yes I am quoting myself.
Anyway - this came from the tour guide on the six house tour when we were discussing how much the scare zones have changed over the years.
So I consider it a good source - it was not a Disney bus driver ;)

We also made our feeling known about this years event to many sources out with the surveys. And we also said if next years isn`t over the top kick you in the butt scary, back to how it used be, it may be our last year too. We still loved it, but it wasn`t the same. They need to stop dumbing it down to accommodate a younger audience....

We have a very good friend who has been a SA for many years.....he said they are told at orienteering not to go after little kids. I have no reason to doubt him either and several others we know reasonably well.

Well, I can confirm no matter how good those sources are there are many actors NOT adhering to their instructions. Many. This is 1st hand, eye witnessed experiences.

And I hope they do NOT make it more scary. Not for kids. For me. It's at the top of what I find enjoyable. That is why I think it's toned down some. to appeal to MORE adults, not to let more kids come. There are a fair amount of adults who don't find it fun to have your butt scared off. Some scare is fun but not constant OTT scares. There are still plenty of other places those who want mind numbing scares to go to get them. Universal needs to be just that, more universal. THAT is where I think they are trying to get to.

Well, I can confirm no matter how good those sources are there are many actors NOT adhering to their instructions. Many. This is 1st hand, eye witnessed experiences.

And I hope they do NOT make it more scary. Not for kids. For me. It's at the top of what I find enjoyable. That is why I think it's toned down some. to appeal to MORE adults, not to let more kids come. There are a fair amount of adults who don't find it fun to have your butt scared off. Some scare is fun but not constant OTT scares. There are still plenty of other places those who want mind numbing scares to go to get them. Universal needs to be just that, more universal. THAT is where I think they are trying to get to.

I don't doubt your experience.

Doesn't make it any less valid that children under 13 aren't really supposed to be there.

I`m not so sure that is where they`re heading at all. And I certainly don't think they are catering to babies in arms and toddlers.

When we spoke to management, some were surprised we thought it had been toned down as that wasn't the intention at all, it was just our perception.

I see it the complete opposite way to you......there are very few places that cater for an adult only scare your butt off event...….there are plenty of Halloween events for kids. Disney do one very well from what I`ve heard...….there`s nothing wrong with places like Universal catering to adults.....kids have lots more options directly designed for and completely aimed at that age group. Let us adults and those who love scares and horror have this one.

We saw several SA tone down their act on many nights we went, some of the SA in houses deliberately pulled back when they saw little ones, and I mean little ones, not the 11 and 12 year olds.

We personally know a few SA and they all say the same thing......keep the kids away. Of course I don't personally know them all and don't claim to speak for any of them. But it has a 13 age group for a reason.

Most people we know and have spoken to all want the scares amped up.....if you don't like it (the general you) then don't go. It`s advertised as HORROR NIGHTS, nothing less than we should expect.

Well all I know is if they are hearing from lots like me we think it's perfect and still very scary so they won't think it needs changing.100% Horror Nights is what I think is there. They will cater to what the majority wants and that's got nothing to do with kids.

And I'm not talking about adults finding kid events. Of course they are plentiful.
I'm taking about all the haunted house out there that scare more than universal ever did. They are in most every city. Probably many of them. Scares so bad you have to sign waivers.

Well all I know is if they are hearing from lots like me we think it's perfect and still very scary so they won't think it needs changing.100% Horror Nights is what I think is there. They will cater to what the majority wants and that's got nothing to do with kids.

And I'm not talking about adults finding kid events. Of course they are plentiful.
I'm taking about all the haunted house out there that scare more than universal ever did. They are in most every city. Probably many of them. Scares so bad you have to sign waivers.

Not where we are which is why we travel to Orlando as HHN is one of the best in the country.

One of the biggest complaints they had this year, only heard this from unofficial sources of course, were lack of real horror and scary scare zones......

Social Media were reporting lots of complaints early, so they adapted a few things and it worked......

The vast majority of folks going to that event, and I’m not talking about a few people on a Disney website, want the event to be scary.....they don’t want it dumbed down to suit a minority......and I do believe it is a minority that go to Halloween Horror Nights and not want to be scared. The name kind of sets expectations.

We‘ve only been going to this event since 2007 but over the years have met many many people who love the event.....and not one single person I know has ever suggested it needs to be dumbed down or made less scary.....folks come from all over for this event. I don’t believe for a second folks like me are in the minority, I’d say the opposite. Again, this website is not representative of the average person who year after year goes to HHN.

Again, if people don’t want to be scared there is a wonderful alternative down the road.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter