HHI-crabbing

RumpleMom

DIS Veteran
Can anyone explain the process of crabbing to this landlubber?

I know you have a stick with string and hook attached.
Another post said to use a chicken neck for bait, have a bucket with a little water standing by, and use a net to scoop the crab into the bucket. Do not eat a dead crab.

Ok so far?

Now what should I know about cleaning the crabs, what not to eat, and how to cook them.

Thanks

Instead of a stick with a string, you might want to try a crab net. If you're staying at Disney's HHI resort, you can borrow or buy them from the rec window. Or, you can buy them at WalMart or many other places nearby.

Chicken necks are good -- or I just go to the grocery store and buy a package of whatever chicken meat is the least expensive. Last trip, it was chicken thighs for 99 cents a pound, I think. We just cut it up and use it in the chicken net.

As far as what to do with them once you've caught them, I can't be of much help -- we always let them go. ;)

Have fun! We went crabbing once years ago and it was alot of fun. Like Disneyholic, we used a crabtrap.

I did a web search to see what I could find out for you. Here's some info from
http://www.dmr.state.ms.us/Fisheries/crabbing.htm

"All crabs, with the exception of soft shells, must be five inches or larger as measured from the tip of one lateral spine across the back of the shell to the tip of the opposite lateral spine.

Once caught, crabs must be kept alive until cooked. A wet towel or a burlap sack placed over the basket will shade the crabs and keep them alive. Pouring water over them periodically will also help, but they should not be left in standing water.

Prepare crabs by filling a large pot with enough water to cover the crabs. While the water is heating, rinse crabs with clean water to remove any mud or sediment. Dump live crabs in boiling water, return water to a boil and cook for 1 0 to 20 minutes. When cooked, remove the crabs from the water, let cool, then clean and eat.

Additions to the pot can include onion, garlic, celery, rock salt, lemon, potatoes and corn. To spice things up, throw in some crab boil and a splash of hot sauce."

Thanks for the replies.

Yesterday, I subbed in a fourth grade classroom where the science lesson was for the kids to observe their crawfish. This means more than just looking at them! This was supposed to be a 50 minute period of "observation", which is a very long time for the little critters IMHO. I shortened the "lesson" and we did some brain teasers.

Anyway, I know crawfish are not crabs, but maybe I will forget the idea and let a seafood restaurant do the work.

Guess I'll stay a landlubber.

Originally posted by RumpleMom
... maybe I will forget the idea and let a seafood restaurant do the work.

Guess I'll stay a landlubber.

That's the way we like to do it! ;)

But it IS fun to try to catch them and you get a chance to meet and talk to other guests out on the fishing pier!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter