HH Trip Report 3/31-4/6

DeeCee735

"How Do You Know of the Key?"
Just got home from HH. Our first time there! I have much to say, sorry if it runs too long.
Travel Party: Myself, DH, my parents (in their 70's), our two kids - (17 yrs old), DD boyfriend (18)
Arrival day:
Got there at 7:30 p.m. - drove from NY. Dropped our little doggy off at Evergreen Pet Resort - would highly recommend them. DH was very leary about boarding him (for the first time) in a place we'd never seen. It was wonderful, so much better than anything here at home - dog was happy, so were we.
Checked into the resort about 8:30 p.m. - Room 1521 - two bedroom, (building 15). Marsh view on the boardwalk, close to Big Muggie's/Lobby, front of building had a marina view, back (our balcony) had marsh view. Room condition - EXCELLENT! Gorgeous room, extremely clean and in excellent shape. Very very happy with it. Car was just outside. Short walk to pool, Tide me Over, Recreation/Gym and pier. Beautiful grounds - leisurely walkways, wonderful. Plenty of room for the 7 of us. We LOVED the area with Shelter Cove Marina, shops and restaurants directly across from us.

Day 1 - Sunday:
Over coffee in the a.m., we all discussed plans for the week. Made plans for DF and DS to play golf at Indigo Run for Monday. Booked fishing excursion for DH, and 3 kids for Tuesday (beach day for me and parents), booked Dolphin Excursion for all 7 of us for Wednesday, and golf again, this time at Oyster Reef for DF and DS for Thursday, HH Island tour for DH, myself and mom. Friday was check out day.

Sunday morning kids took off on their own (we had both cars with us). The rest of us checked out resort and beach house. LOVE the beach house, and just a quick ride from main resort. We used our car but the shuttle is a quick ride too, and there is a phone right at the stop to call them and let them know you are waiting. They will come immediately. Walked down to the beach - spoke to the Lifeguard and set up chair and umbrella rentals for me and my parents for Tuesday. Then the four of us headed over to Habourtown for some lunch and shopping. It is beautiful, we ate lunch at the restaurant just at the bottom of the lighthouse (don't remember name). Good food, good view, I'd eat there again. Went up to the top of the lighthouse, shopped and walked around. It was a great idea for the first day. Headed "home" for some rest and relaxation - I took my jacquzzi bath and went into Big Murgie's to do some work online. Had dinner at Guiseppi's. It was excellent italian food. Kids love it too.

Day 2 - Monday: Woke up early, uploaded pics to laptop while sipping my coffee on the balcony. Could think of worse ways to spend a morning. DH was in the mood to cook for 7 people (huh?) so he picked up some ham and eggs and had himself a ball. Everyone full and happy. DF and DS went to play golf. DD & beau went to mall and beach house. Mom, me and DH went to see little doggie and then headed over to beach house. Had another margarita, and a walk on the beach before indulging in lunch (saw a couple of dolphins swimming pretty close to shore). Then relaxed for the afternoon. Had dinner at Hilton Head Brewing Co. - we were in the mood for some beer, I would NOT recommend this place. Food not that good at all and the service was terrible. A lesson learned. We took a walk around to the Shelter Cove side that night, and had some ice cream and coffee before turning in. A very relaxing and wonderful day. Weather - gorgeous - low 80's

Day 3 - Tuesday: Today is our beach day. DH spent 4 hours fishing with all the kids. Everyone of them caught something - small sharks I believe. They loved the boat ride and the fishing. They saw dolphins in the waters. My parents and I had a great great beach day. It was just gorgeous out and I haven't hung on the beach since last summer, how I missed it. I was soooooo happy to be there. Parents loved it too, not humid, not too hot and they had a good time. We did some beach combing, and shell collecting, walking, reading and sleeping in the beach chairs. Really loved it. Thunderheads moved in late in the afternoon and dropped some rain for about an hour around 5. Other than that the weather was perfect. After catching a nap we headed across the marina and had dinner at King Fishers. We all had the ribs, very funny since it's a seafood place. It was delicious. There was also a couple of musicians playing and we enjoyed that. Took a walk, before heading back to relax at the "house". Took another jacquzzi bath - I love the bubbles and the relaxation!

Day 4: Wednesday - My poor DS wasn't feeling well today, I think it was the sun the day before - he opted to stay home for day and relax. The rest of us went on the Dolpin tour. We had a GREAT time. The boat ride alone was worth it, but the highlight was the dolphins coming right up to the boat, and "smiling" at us. It was awesome! My parents loved it, DD & her beau, and me and DH really really enjoyed it. I would recommend such an outing. We headed back, kids did their own thing, we shopped at marina shops and had dinner at San Miguel's. Food very good, service not so great. We waited forever for our dinner, but we weren't rushing so we just relaxed and enjoyed the atmosphere. Took a walk around marina and resort after dinner and sat on the balcony in our room til bedtime. Very relaxing, very pretty.

Day 5: Thursday - Got up early and headed to BC Merchantile to meet up with the tour guide. We were the only three on the Hilton Head Island tour - and we really enjoyed it. My mom did great with the walking, she has some health problems, but really got around well the entire week. I love to discover the history of places so this was very enjoyable for me. We stopped at Fort Mitchell, Coastal Discovery Museum, Baynard (I think) ruins, and Harbourtown. We had a tour guide by the name of Carol, very very informative. I'm really glad we took this tour. DF and DS were golfing again. When we got back, we headed over to the beach house for lunch. It was cooler today, about 70 so the beach house was very quiet. It was nice and relaxing. DH and I walked over to marina and all around resort this afternoon, then sat on the balcony with our coffee. For dinner all 7 of us went over to Little Venice in the marina. The food was excellent and it was a really good way to spend the last night - all together having some laughs.

Day 6 - Friday: We relaxed around the room and resort for awhile in the morning, as we were all up early. It was check out day, we decided to get to D.C. and stop overnight instead of driving straight through to NY. We got there around 9 pm and slept. It was a terrible hotel in MD, just outside of the city, stunk of smoke, I did not sleep all night,and woke very cranky. We headed over to see the Korean and Vietnam memorials, and to see the Lincoln Memorial before heading home. I'm glad we did this, kids first time,and it was a good way to break up the ride (dad was in Korean War and this was very important to him). We were not prepared for the freezing temps there and at home! Wishing we were still in HH! We fell in love with it, and will return.

Wow! Thanks for that incredible report~:)

I bet the kids really loved catching the baby sharks and seeing the dolphins.
Glad you're back safely~

~DW:3dglasses

Thanks so much for your report! I can't wait to be there the first week of June. Sounds like you had a great time with family and the weather was perfect too!

Wow, sounds like a great time. I have been meaning to try all that stuff. I have been going to HHI since 97 and all I end up doing, eat, sleep and swim.

You said that there was a gym at HHI? Funny, I have never seen it. :confused3

Thanks for that great report! I have always wanted to try HH but haven't because I feared there wasn't enough to keep my kids busy. It seems like there is a lot to do there and you made it sound beautiful! I was just wondering, being a NY'er myself, how long did the drive take? Were you glad you had a car with you?
Thanks!

Thanks so much for your report! Yes, isn't Carol nice? When I took the tour (same as you-DH was off golfing), I was the only one on the tour so I got to talk with her quite a bit. Speaking of golf, what were everyone's reactions to Indigo Run and Oyster Reef? DH has played Indigo Run, but hasn't gotten to Oyster Reef yet. So far, his fave has been the Country Club at HHI, but he keeps reminding me that he really needs to try them all to evaluate properly.

Great report! Thanks!!

Could you explain in greater detail about your renting beach chairs & Umbrellas? TIA

To answer some of the questions asked about my trip report:

Oyster Reef - MUCH nicer than Indigo Run. Family didn't think Indigo Run was well kept, courses around home are nicer according to them, however DS played best game of his life there. Oyster Reef, they said, was a beautiful course and they really loved it.

The Gym at Disney's HH resort is located right next to the Broad Creek Merchantile.

Took 15 hours with some heavy traffic through VA, and yes we were very happy to have the car, we were all over the island, and could get to stores we needed in and on our own time.

Beach chairs & umbrella rentals, just go down to the beach and talk to the lifeguard about when you want to rent. They'll set them up on those dates at 9 a.m., take them down at 5 p.m. It cost $30 for the first day, $18 for each day after. I did not check the weekly rate.

BTW, any of the excursions we did, we booked straight through the resort and left directly from Disney HH. It was just us on each excursion, and very convenient. Worth any extra cost, not that I looked into other places.

Hope this answers your questions, have an awesome time.

:wave2:
We were there about the same time; wasn't the weather great?

I never saw a lifeguard on the beach, but it's good to know how to rent chairs.

One thing about the chairs/umbrellas they rent is that they are quite a good ways away from the actual water - which is an issue if you have kids little enough that you need to supervise them closely in the waves. There's the water, and then a very wide strip of hard-packed sand you can bike on, then regular sand, and then the row of rental chairs and umbrellas closer to the dunes. My kids are younger and are not going to sunbathe, so I think I'd prefer bringing a little chair that could go right next to the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter