Help with Washington, DC

sweetpea29488

DIS Veteran
We will be taking a trip to Washinton the last week of August. It's my first time there and I was hoping someone could help me. I know you can get Washington Monument tickets ahead of time. What else (as far as the mounuments, smithsonians (sp?), do you need tickets for and which can you get ahead of time?) Any information about site seeing in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

No tickets needed for the other monuments or the Smithsonian. Enjoy!

If you want to tour the White House, you need to contact your representative ahead of time. It may already be too late, but it's worth a try.

All the Smithsonian museums are free as is the National Zoo.

Try to familiarize yourself with the Metro before you go. You can get a copy of the "map" online.

Oh, and there is a bag check when going into the museums, so travel as light as you can. It will be very hot and humid in August, so take some water with you. There are kiosks around the mall that sell drinks and such, but they are VERY expensive.

You almost always need 6 months notice for the White House tour. No biggie, though. You're not really missing all that much if you don't get to do that. We did it 25 years ago, and then again recently 2 years ago. HUGE difference. They've scaled it back so much that it's almost not worth the time.

The Holocaust Museum is certainly worth your time, and you can get tickets ahead of time. Seems like you can get them slightly cheaper if you order ahead of time.

Make sure to use the Metro. It'll be a huge time-saver for you. Don't even try to park near D.C. Not only is it nearly cost prohibitive, but it's a royal pain to park.

A word of advice: If you're interested in going to the National Archives, you want to get there before doors open. Last time I was there, they had a line a couple of blocks long.

Another word of advice: Don't miss the National Zoo. It's really cool, and that's actually someplace you can park reasonably well.

We will be taking a trip to Washinton the last week of August. It's my first time there and I was hoping someone could help me. I know you can get Washington Monument tickets ahead of time. What else (as far as the mounuments, smithsonians (sp?), do you need tickets for and which can you get ahead of time?) Any information about site seeing in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

been 2 times. the last time we were there, we wanted to see the capital. i thought if we got there around 10 am we would be ok. well, all the tickets(free ) were already given out. i was told you would have to be there very early, or get the tickets from a representative. not sure they are still doind this or not. this was only a few years after 9 11.:)

My suggestion is to make sure you see the Vietnam and Korean War Memorials. Most people know about the Vietnam Wall, but I found that the Korean War monument is quite striking. The faces on the statues are so real and project alot of the fear/concern that those guys/girls must have felt.

I also really enjoyed the Conservatory. If you like plants/flowers the conservatory (near the Smithsonian) is absolutely worth visiting.

The Tomb of the unknown soldier and Arlington National Cemetary are also worth stopping at. The rows and rows and rows of white headstones really puts forth the terrible consequences of war and the sacrifices made by so many people in this country for this country.

There is no cost for any of these things.

Thanks everyone for the help. If you think of anything else, please post. :)

We will def. park our car and use the metro. I'll look into the tickets we can get early.

Thanks again.:thumbsup2

A little known secret about the National Archives saved us a HUGE amount of time...make a reservation at the National Archives website...it's a little tough to find but if you make a reservation, you bypass the line outside and enter through a side door. There is still a line inside but by then, you are in the air conditioning.:thumbsup2...if you make your reservation early enough, you may even be able limit your wait there as well.

We did this a couple of years ago...our reservation was for about 2:00. We walked up to the building and the line was around the block. We walked up to the side door, showed the guard our reservation and walked up to the security desk.

Washington is wonderful...enjoy!!

As far as whether to stay inside or outside of DC, we stayed in Gaithersburg, MD which is right on the Metro but is about a 40 min ride into DC...our next trip we are probably just going to pay the extra money and stay inside of DC. There are tour buses that work like regular buses but only stop at the major sites...you catch one of their buses, go to a museum and stay as long as you want. When you're ready to go, go to their bus stop and go to the next site.

You may already know this but if your thinking about touring the Capitol Building, you need to make an appointment through your congressman. Just to their website and they will either have a link or it's an option on their email dropdown list.

Also, the best tour we took was DC by Foot...it's a walking tour that starts at the Washington Monument and ends up at the Lincoln Memorial. It was the best thing we did on our trip despite the fact that we were completely exhausted BEFORE the tour. Just look for a guy in a blue t-shirt and/or hat (they start on the side of the Monument that faces away from the Lincoln Memorial.) The tour is a long walk so be prepared...it starts at the Wash Mem. and takes you to the WWII Memorial, Vietnam Memorial and Lincoln Memorial...the guide gives facts and funny stories at each stop. We loved it!! The tour is free but they work on tips (we gave them $20.00).

My suggestion is to make sure you see the Vietnam and Korean War Memorials. Most people know about the Vietnam Wall, but I found that the Korean War monument is quite striking. The faces on the statues are so real and project alot of the fear/concern that those guys/girls must have felt.

I have to admit that the Korean War Memorial is my absolute favorite. Something about walking past those life-sized army men gives me the shivers every single time. And then the sound of the flag waving in the breeze in front of them just adds to the feel of the moment. Absolutely my favorite and not to be missed. You can find it if you do a walking-tour of the National Mall.

The Tomb of the unknown soldier and Arlington National Cemetary are also worth stopping at. The rows and rows and rows of white headstones really puts forth the terrible consequences of war and the sacrifices made by so many people in this country for this country.

Make sure you stay to see the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns. It makes me cry every single time.

We loved doing all the monuments at night. The Korean memorial takes on a whole new meaning. Also, if traveling with kids, you can get a Jr. Ranger book at any of the monuments and they can fill out the booklet and get a badge upon completion. The capitol tour took half a day, not worth it if you have limited time. But there is a cafeteria under the capitol that is reasonably priced and a good variety of food.
Our other budget tip for DC is to find the CVS stores in DC. That is the best, and cheapest, place to get cold drinks and snacks.

We loved doing all the monuments at night. The Korean memorial takes on a whole new meaning. Also, if traveling with kids, you can get a Jr. Ranger book at any of the monuments and they can fill out the booklet and get a badge upon completion. The capitol tour took half a day, not worth it if you have limited time. But there is a cafeteria under the capitol that is reasonably priced and a good variety of food.
Our other budget tip for DC is to find the CVS stores in DC. That is the best, and cheapest, place to get cold drinks and snacks.

I second seeing monuments at night! I live in DC, and every time someone comes to visit I take them on a night tour. It is a completely different experience, and so beautiful.

I second seeing monuments at night! I live in DC, and every time someone comes to visit I take them on a night tour. It is a completely different experience, and so beautiful.

Another vote to view the monuments at night. We took a bus tour one year to view the monuments at night and it was really very cool. Not to mention that the temps were much more conducive to enjoying the trip. :)

But, I also enjoy the monuments by day. Either way you do it, I think you'll enjoy it.

I've be planning a trip to DC every summer, but it hasn't happened yet. :sad2:

Taking the Metro is a great idea to get into DC but during the week the parking lots at most stations fill up early like 8:00 AM. I don't remember but some of them still have parking mid morning. Also you need a SmarTrip card that is not your metro card to pay for parking and I think its $5.00 to park.

If you can stay somewhere were you can walk or take a bus (uses the same card that you use to pay for parking) to get to a station.

http://www.wmata.com/getting_around/ has all the info you need to get started. I think somewhere on this site you can see how full the lots are in real time. Maybe you can check it out on the week before and see which ones fill up.

Also everything is pretty much free. I think some of the places that issue tickets don't charge you they just use them to control how many people go into the attraction at any time.

There is a children's section to the Holocaust that presents a "milder" (not sure how to say it right) version of the story. There are no tickets. Our 2 elementary schools take an overnight trip to DC every year for the 6th graders and this is part of the tour.

Also for getting around there are on and off tour buses that pick you up and drop you off around the mall area.

You should also go to Mount Vernon there is a cost but its a real part of history to walk the same rooms that Washington did. And it gets you out of the city. Its a full your of the grounds including some farm areas.

Another vote to view the monuments at night. We took a bus tour one year to view the monuments at night and it was really very cool. Not to mention that the temps were much more conducive to enjoying the trip. :)

But, I also enjoy the monuments by day. Either way you do it, I think you'll enjoy it.

Also its pretty much all you can do at night. All the museums close at 5.

Our 6th grade trip always does this at night because there is nothing else to do. We see the Jefferson and FDR Monument at night.

I returned from our week long first to DC on Wednesday. I followed theads on the dis for information as well.

One of the tips I never came across was the free metro parking on the weekends. We stayed in National Harbor. The crowds were low on the weekend.

Yes the metro parking does fill up, wish I knew that before hand.:headache:

I used a metro app on my iphone that worked great.:thumbsup2

We enjoyed our visit and will return.

been 2 times. the last time we were there, we wanted to see the capital. i thought if we got there around 10 am we would be ok. well, all the tickets(free ) were already given out. i was told you would have to be there very early, or get the tickets from a representative. not sure they are still doind this or not. this was only a few years after 9 11.:)

They are still running the tour of the Capitol but yes you need to get there early for the timed ticket and you can either wait around until your time or come back later.

If you have limited time I would recomend checking out some of the highlight tours at the different Smithsonian Museums. The schedules are on their websites - you get so much more from the experience.

Be prepared for sticker shock it is expensive here.

The best museums to eat in are the American Indian Museum. My other favorite is the cafe in the basement between the two national art museums. Try the gelato! And they have a good capuchino. There is a great brew-pub next to Union Station - Gordon Biersch. It's good for food and to cool off. Old Ebbitt grill is a good and a not too expensive restaurant near the White House and Teasim in Pen Quarter is good if you want something slightly different.

Each night there is a free concert by the one of the Miltary Bands on the steps of the Capitol building. The Marines put on a free retreat ceremony once a week at the Iwo-Jima memorial.

We went Spring Break for the Cherry Blossom Festival. DD's high school band marched! Loved it! Stayed in an awesome suite hotel called Hotel Sierra near Dulles Airport: gorgeous rooms, slept all 6 in one for $129 a night:banana:, free full breakfast buffet, shuttle to the airport where we caught the Metrobus into the City & then rode the Metro to the attractions. Things we wished we'd known: Metro stations fill up on weekdays, can't get in that way, get a SmarTrip card online, can use for the bus & Metro (have to have exact $ for the bus); DC is bigger than Disney:scared1:: if you want to get the Monument area spring for a tour; second the PP suggestion re: booking National Archives in advance (never got in). Love it that so much is free! We paid for the Spy Museum & the kids did a kids only activity there which was their favourite part! (Had a "Disney" moment there also: line was about 2 BLOCKS long for ticket holders waiting for admit. I went in got the tickets & when I returned to the front room apparently my DD's 12 & 14 were waiting in the wrong area & the security guards got "tuff" in a mock/serious way. DD 14 caught onto the game & got in his face with her best WWE impression & they loved it & sent us all to the front of the line!:rotfl:)

I live and work in D.C., and I've heard a lot of tips over the years.

I would actually suggest staying at a hotel in Silver Spring, Maryland. It's not a long metro ride to anywhere, and there are hotels within walking distance of the Metro and there are lots of restaurants all very centrally located. Because you're outside of DC, you save a ton of money. It's where I always recommend people stay.

The Pentagon Memorial is absolutely haunting at night. Very beautiful. I'm not sure of the ages of who you're bringing, but the Newseum (one of the few places you have to pay for) gets rave reviews from the adults and older kids I've met.

We used to stay as far north as College Park MD which is right near the U of Maryland. The Metro was walking distance from the Best Western. I would not even think of driving in DC during a work day. At 5:00PM the only thing you can hear is car horns.

Allocate time for the Museums. We spent a day at Air and Space and two at the American History. There is so much to see. Air and Space has a Planetarium.

The rates for the metro used to be different at for rush hour and non-rush hour so check the times.

We went with the kids in the summer time and the Mall (space between the museums) is very hot walking around.

We also got a tour of the treasury building which we thought was kind of cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter