Help with Two-Way Radios

Dagny

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW in May and have decided to let my daughter and her friend "explore on their own". I have decided the only way I am going to be comfortable with this is if we have two way radios so I can find them in an instant if I need to :)

I have been reading some of the posts I can find on these boards about the various types of two way radios. I understand that I will need one with sub-codes and I think I prefer ones that have the rechargable battery and perhaps one with an battery saver mode. Which brand is best? Anyone know of any sales?

I use Cobras and like them. But whatever brand you choose, make sure you buy them with a recharging unit. It is much easier to just stick your radios in a stand after use rather than pull out and recharge batteries off and on.

Subchannels may come in handy, especially when others may be using radios as well.

Wanda

I just bought cobra with the sub channels. It was $59.99 with a $20 mail in rebate at Circuit city. It didnt come with a rechargable stand though, oh well, I'll just bring a few extra batteries.

Oh heavens, don't even plan on buying alkalines, and forget considering cheaper batteries! They won't last a day! You'd have to bring extra batteries for each day, and I am not sure that they'll take you morning to night. Those things gobble up a lot of power.

If you aren't buying your radios with rechargeable units you should, by all means, buy good rechargeables like nickel-cadmium or anhydride batteries.

Wanda

We use ours everywhere and love them but I have a question. When we were in Disneyland it was sooooooooo loud most everywhere with rides, people, etc. I couldn't hear anything and neither could my family when I called them! Once I had to push that buzzer thingy just so they'd press it back and I'd know they were out there! Is WDW like this also?

I have the motorola FR60 with the sub channels and although they are not re-chargeable , I bought two sets of rechargeable batteries ( that I use at home for other things anyway ) and the charger ( I have two chargers ) and I kept one set of batteries charging at all times and the other in the radios, one set lasted all day without a problem and the other was charging at the resort for the next day, it worked wonderful for me because I use this batteries at home for remotes and such anyway.
I had no problems at all using those radios , I will never go to an amusement park without them ever again.

Audiovox for $60. Came with two radios and a charging unit. Worked great. Had I think 32 sub channels(a Must!!) We used ours all day w/o ever inserting a battery. The only time I turned it off was when the teens were with us and that wasn't often lol!Just remember before bed to put them in the charger. Ready for the next day!

Thanks for all the replies... there are soooooo many to choose from :) Researching the darn radios is cutting into my researching Disney time, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter